+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Justicar - AoE Threat?

Soulwalker

Default Justicar - AoE Threat?

I'm wondering, is Even Justice Justicar's only AoE threat ability?

Any souls I can pair up to help with this?

Any suggestions on getting AoE threat as a Cleric? :] Thanks.

Plane Walker

You can get inquis with soul drain. It will do 40% less damage on MoL, but generate 300% more threat.

So it would be something like ((normal SD threat) * .6) * 3, which would be 1.8x normal SD threat, even though it is doing less actual damage.

EDIT: You could also go with 10 pts cabalist for tyranny, but fyi no cabalist abilities give convictions.
    Last edited by Ellyll; 04-20-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Soulwalker

Hmm thanks I'll look at these. :]

If anyone else has any other info for me, go right ahead and post.

Thanks a lot!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by AwefulWaffle View Post
    Hmm thanks I'll look at these. :]

If anyone else has any other info for me, go right ahead and post.

Thanks a lot!
    Righteous Imperative to pull hate on the pull then Even Justice spam to hold it. If anyone takes damage, Doctrine of Loyalty or Doctrine of Authority to heal them, and generate a butt-load of agro for yourself. If you're trying to generate hate through damage, you're doing it wrong (although it does help).
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

I've never seemed to need more than EJ to keep AoE threat, but you gotta LOS caster etc. and group the mobs together.

The Inq suggestion above sounds interesting though.

Plane Walker

Well, the main problem I have had is getting hard agro on multiple mobs.

Righteous Imperative generates very little threat. It just gimmicks them in to attacking you fro 2 GCD's, after which they forget you exist.

At level 50 the threat generated by RI is ((23-26)*3.0) to each enemy hit (before scaling). That is crap. A single AOE that does 80 before scaling will strip all the mobs off you in 3 seconds., and the ability is on a 60 sec. CD.

EDIT: EJ and healing works well to KEEP threat after that,its the initial sticking that can be an issue for me.
    Last edited by Ellyll; 04-20-2011 at 05:36 PM.

I never have problems with threat at all, I tank for 800+ dps.

I use cabalist for pulling, 2 AoE ranged casts, then begin EJ spam.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...Mcd.EuRsqeekRR

Default Healing

Paikis has it.

1. You should think twice about any passive that only increases damage, even though damage increases salvation heals.

2. Ask your healer to not top you off in the first few seconds. Your healing threat at 4x with MoL does the work for you. I still love Sent Healing Breath, which I cast on myself in a macro with DoBliss. It heals for more even with 40% reduction and makes it more difficult to run out of convictiuons early on. Healing yourself is not a wasted GCD at the multipliers that we have and has the benefit of giving threat to casters that are out of your melee range. We can tank casters at range before the Tier 1 instances. Just have to heal for more than a quarter of your healer's total.

3. Spell Power is by far our best stat until the Parry cap even without taking into account it's effect on our heals. Increases defense, damage and healing. Strength does not increase healing. Wisdom increases all three at 0.75 SP per point (the mana regen is virtually useless). I would put Strength 3rd of the three stats, but others will argue with that. Is 0.75 SP better than 1AP ? I think so.

no ones cares about AP for tanking, people argue that strength is better because it gives you 1 block and 1 parry per point. As far as avoidance goes its.

1 Str = .065000%
    1 Sp = .045900%
    1 Wis = .034425%
    1 Dex = .024000%
    1 Int = .011475%
    1 Arm = .009960%

Thanks.

I was coming more from the angle of threat generation as per the OP's question, but didn't realise that Strength had that additional effect on our block. Assumed that 1.95 parry per SP and 0.3 block per SP would work out better defensively, but clearly cleverer folks have worked out that not to be the case.

I expect those numbers don't take into account the increase in 'time til death' of the heals from Salvation (from increased damage) and bigger self heals (I don't know the co-efficients) or the balance between caster mitigation and physical mitigation. Obviously, against casters SP has some (possibly too small to matter) meaningful value to survivability where Strength has very little (just the AP portion).

Taking threat generation into account I would still prefer 1SP before the parry cap, but there are runes where taking strength would be better than anything else easily available. After the parry cap it's closer imo, but I can't back that up with numbers. A pointer to where I might find more info would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Knobby; 04-21-2011 at 02:56 AM.

I use This build when i play as a Justicar and i never have a problem with AoE threat. Just macro Strike of the Maelstrom with Even Justice and spam it into oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSorrow View Post
    So just because this doesn't work like every other game it's bad?
    Adapt, adopt and improve. If you can't do that, maybe it's something other than the game that's bad.
    Level 50 Cleric:Tuskon

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    Righteous Imperative to pull hate on the pull then Even Justice spam to hold it. If anyone takes damage, Doctrine of Loyalty or Doctrine of Authority to heal them, and generate a butt-load of agro for yourself. If you're trying to generate hate through damage, you're doing it wrong (although it does help).
    You should never use DoL for threat, least not when all mobs are in Melee range. EJ will always generate much more threat. If the pull is >5 mobs rotate your char so EJ hits different mobs every time. LoS pulls are the justicars bread and butter, learn em, love em, and use them. If you have a large LoS pull and a warden healer, you will need to pull with BoR and Sov and then cast 2 DoL's while LoS to maintain threat off the healer.

DoA is an amazing threat skill and if you are having issues with threat on AE pulls you should try this macro:

#show Precept of Refuge
    cast Precept of Refuge
    cast Doctrine of Authority
    cast Even Justice

I no longer use DoA in my AE pulls, as I no longer need any extra threat, unless there is some ae damage to heal.

I am starting to wonder if Justicars that have issue with threat are just undergeared versus the DPS in their group. I leveled justicar and geared at the same rate as DPS (till T1, then I had to wait for plaques but even then I never had an issue) and never had a threat issue. I still dont to this day and I group with some of the highest DPS on my shard.
    A Justicar's path is not one of ease. But, hey, we do get to hit stuff.

Damn edit lock...

I currently run this Spec for magic resist (sigh, justicars magic mitigation makes me cry...). You can pull with shadows touch, a ranged 3 target AE, and prestack lurking decays to use for obliterate on AE pulls

Even so, you should only have to ever use EJ to maintain AE threat.
    A Justicar's path is not one of ease. But, hey, we do get to hit stuff.

+ Reply to Thread