+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying to find a caster tank build

Default Trying to find a caster tank build

Hello everyone,

i'm experimenting at the moment a caster tanking build. But i'm sure it can be improved, and i'd like to know your advice. My purprose was to be able to tank Rifts, with a good survival and good DPS. But if it would be save enough to try instance it would be awsome. (never dared to try though)

Here is the build : http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10jrd.V.iuococ.ELkb

The spells I use are Vex, then all instant light spells : Sanction heretic, Bold of Radiance, Life'vengence. I use either bold of Judgement or my melee abilities : Strike of Judgement, Censure and Precept of refuge.
    When i pull several mobs I use Vex on all, soul drain and even justice.

What i really would like to create is a ranged tank. Impatient to hear your advices and suggestions.

Rift Disciple

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...M00f.ExkbMhzqz

Interesting concept, here is an alternative that would roll with your idea. You may or may not want to drop Circle of Oblivion, since you are playing with even justice. Though, Circle of Oblivion has higher damage output, but less self-heals.

I have a similar build, very survivable solo in the open world and in addition, works well in pugs. (Maybe not so much in experts? I need more conclusive evidence, decent off-heals though...)
    You only have to switch to Mien of Leadership versus elites and 3 or more similar level invasions. Gear withstanding.

Also, Doctrine of Valiance is lackluster. Though... it may work decently with extra damage stacked on... ? I still don't see it working out, when compared to Doctrine of Bliss and Loyalty...

Mace + Board: Not really needed for survival out in the open world... The sacrifice of damage/heal output is not worth it in my opinion.
    Last edited by Lilun; 04-20-2011 at 07:00 AM.

Thanks for suggestions; I'll try the mace and give up all my "block" talents. Just wanted to know if it's still possible to tank a dungeon without shield, or will it be too hard for the healer? (I'm speaking about low lvl Dungeon as I'm only 32)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Elloa View Post
    Thanks for suggestions; I'll try the mace and give up all my "block" talents. Just wanted to know if it's still possible to tank a dungeon without shield, or will it be too hard for the healer? (I'm speaking about low lvl Dungeon as I'm only 32)
    You *CAN*. Generally speaking at 10.5+K hp, 10K+ armor on trash you can go 2h tank in IT. Need 2 healers or a shield for bosses. Must be toughness capped for the instance too.

Switching mid fight without telling your healers will be a nearly instant death.

I've tanked DD with the spec I had, a shield and mace (so with all block talent and abilities), without any problem, but obviously at lvl 32 I guess it would be sad to encounter tanking troubles. My gear is really ehh... a bit of everything i find, so hard to say. I try to focus on spell power as it will be used for all spec and roles.

Yesterday I decided to try out the spec Lilun proposed, but instead of questing, I've been doing some warfronts and it was extremly fun. I was never using any melee abilities, So I tried to get rid of the 4 talent to increase melee damage in the justiciar tree, but didn't managed to find anything good to replace it.
    I think it's a very enjoyable spec to play in PVP at my lvl (maybe not in a competitive way though). I was quite high in damage and healing done, while only lvl 32.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Elloa View Post
    I've tanked DD with the spec I had, a shield and mace (so with all block talent and abilities), without any problem, but obviously at lvl 32 I guess it would be sad to encounter tanking troubles. My gear is really ehh... a bit of everything i find, so hard to say. I try to focus on spell power as it will be used for all spec and roles.

Yesterday I decided to try out the spec Lilun proposed, but instead of questing, I've been doing some warfronts and it was extremly fun. I was never using any melee abilities, So I tried to get rid of the 4 talent to increase melee damage in the justiciar tree, but didn't managed to find anything good to replace it.
    I think it's a very enjoyable spec to play in PVP at my lvl (maybe not in a competitive way though). I was quite high in damage and healing done, while only lvl 32.
    up untill LH you can main tank without a shield without a problem to your mitigration (~at lvl 44). After that, as a previous poster has said, in experts its much easier to tank with a shield, at least the bosses).

It seem a bit crazy to be able to tank without talent to improve your block rating or your surviviability, but I guess everthing come with the higher damage and self healing instead.

very funny anyway ! i really love it. I love to be able to be a sort of ranged tank, and to not need to go in melee if I don't want while still doing nice damage in melee too!

Telaran

2h tank clerics are actually preferred, for the increased agro and marginal decrease in mitigation. (A 2h gives wildly more parry than you lose in block). The primary concern for any cleric tank is magic mitigation, which is pretty much impossible to get. We get like 18% vs a rogues 51%? Lawls.
    Carule - Cleric
    Officer - Element Zero
    Clerics CAN push 1200+ DPS single!

+ Reply to Thread