+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need or greed?

Default Need or greed?

Hello fellow cleric's,

I became lvl 50 some days ago and have allready started to do T1 dungeons. Thing is I want to be tanking but seem to get easier into groups as healer or dps/support since warriors mainly tanks. Will it be wrong of me to need on tanking gear if we allready have a tanking cleric in group? Or lets say we have a warrior tanking, and a tanking item drops that can benefit my tank spec. Will it be wrong to need on this item even I'm not tanking in this party, but for later?

I have passed several drops when i see party members need on it even if i really want it for my tank set. My thought has been that the group would benefit more there and then if a group member gets it. Same question goes with other stuff really. Would you need on an item for offspec when others need for mainspec? When that is being said I find it hard to have a main spec in this game, since we often change roles in a dungeon for difference boss fights.

Just want to hear the communities thought on this.

-Peik

Quote Originally Posted by Peik View Post
    Hello fellow cleric's,

I became lvl 50 some days ago and have allready started to do T1 dungeons. Thing is I want to be tanking but seem to get easier into groups as healer or dps/support since warriors mainly tanks. Will it be wrong of me to need on tanking gear if we allready have a tanking cleric in group? Or lets say we have a warrior tanking, and a tanking item drops that can benefit my tank spec. Will it be wrong to need on this item even I'm not tanking in this party, but for later?

I have passed several drops when i see party members need on it even if i really want it for my tank set. My thought has been that the group would benefit more there and then if a group member gets it. Same question goes with other stuff really. Would you need on an item for offspec when others need for mainspec? When that is being said I find it hard to have a main spec in this game, since we often change roles in a dungeon for difference boss fights.

Just want to hear the communities thought on this.

-Peik
    Yes, you should only roll need on something for the spec you're using at that time.

If you "Need" it for what you want to play then hit Need on it.
    But i do think if you're trying to take stuff from a Warrior tank that needs it, you should pass. I feel the same way about Clerics taking Cloth from Mages. It is far more beneficial to take the hand me downs of what people don't need than to be listed as a lootwhore taking loot from other classes. Yea, it may take longer to get what you want, but in the mean time you'll get a good set of Chain gear for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSorrow View Post
    So just because this doesn't work like every other game it's bad?
    Adapt, adopt and improve. If you can't do that, maybe it's something other than the game that's bad.
    Level 50 Cleric:Tuskon

Champion

my personal opinion on the need/greed rule is if they are needing for the role they're filling right at that moment, then i default to them first. So in your scenario of a cleric tank in your group when you are healing needing on a tank peice, i would default to them for a need/greed. Same for a warrior and a tanky neck/ring/trink drops, as long as they're filling that role at that moment.

And i consider main spec in a PUG setting to be the role in which i joined the group. If i join a group as a DPS and then end up healing to get the group moving along, i let my groupmates know i will be need rolling on DPS items as that is my main spec.

Your answers makes perfect sense. I have allways only needed on stuff i need for my group spec.
    But from now on i will need if no one else needs it for their group spec. Shame to see usable items get vendored

Thanks for the replies!

Ascendant

If it is an upgrade that you plan on wearing, NEED it. If it is something that you would like to have but aren't sure if you'd wear it, wait until last and if no one needs it, need then.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Rift Disciple

it depends on the group obviously, but figure it out before you start the run. some tanks will be cool with you needing on the same items with them, while some will not. you may also want to make the case that you usually tank, and are only healing in this run for ____ reason; it'll make them more open to letting you roll on loot. likewise if you're tanking and want to roll on healing/dps gear, get the other clerics' okay right from the start so there's no drama later.

as for rolling on another calling's gear (i.e. cloth/leather) i'd never hit need over anyone of that class who could actually use it. think of it this way - if you were a mage and all you could use was cloth, but a plate wearer who could use any piece of armor in the game rolled on your loot, you'd be pretty pissed right? stick with the type of gear for your calling, and accessories are pretty much fair game.

one more thing to add: imo if people (typically guildies) are obviously carrying you through an instance, regardless of the role you're playing, you should pass loot to them since they're usually only after 2-3 pieces while you can make use of all the excess drops. sometimes they'll insist it's okay if you roll along with them, but if they say nothing then pass the items by default.
    Last edited by Narcoleptic1; 04-20-2011 at 02:54 AM.

I was in a situation not long ago when a blue hammer droped while I was doing a Rift. It was a great upgrade for me...so ofc I hit Need. The Rogue who was also there hit Need aswell.
    I asked him why he needed it, because he cant even use it.
    He said it was a missclick...fair enough...that happens...so I asked if he could trade it to me. And he then started saying its part of this game and I need to handle it.
    I was every bad thing under the sun for saying he did somting stupid.

Games where I come from are very serious about this need /greed thing. If you Need on somthing that you cant use, you would get flamed in channels for loot-stealer and everyone would do their best not to invite you again.
    Let me add....in this game I was the one being flamed for not accepting him needing on an item he wanted to sell on AH.
    First time ive had that experience !
    Last edited by Vivvi; 04-20-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Sword of Telara

If I need the item and intend to use it, then I will press need, no matter what role I happend to be in atm.

This is usually just a problem for people that intend to tank, which I currently don't, so I wouldn't need on tank items, and all the other melee dps/range dps/heal items are about the same anyway, just a matter or preference if you want sp/crit, int/wis etc.

On the other hand needing on items that is nor for your class, then you deserve to be banned from the game. Doesn't matter if it's in a WF or pug rift, only morons do that.

Also, everything I said is only valid on blue/purple+ items, no real reason to make a big deal about greens.

Telaran

If it's for the spec I'm playing right now and I need it, I choose need.

If it's for a spec I'm not playing right now, I'll see if someone needs it for their main spec and choose according to that. If no one else wants it, I might as well take it.

Rift Disciple

The gear you would be needing on as a Cleric Tank off-spec will have wisdom/spell power/spell crit. If the warrior is needing on it because he thinks it is a tank item, he is a fool as there is no need for the warrior to be needing on it to begin with.

The gear that a Cleric should get priority over almost any class will have Wisdom as the high stat. A warriors primary stats would be Strength, Dexterity, Physical Crit, Hit, Attack Power. He should have no reason to grab any gear with Wisdom, Intelligence, Spell Power, Spell Crit, Focus.

I would say feel free to go after gear that has the stats for tanking such as Dodge, Parry, Block, but make sure there is something that makes it uniquely yours (Wis, SP, SC, Focus).
    Never come unarmed to a battle of wits.

The revised 3 commandments:
    1. Thou shall be honest and faithful to the provider of thy nookie.
    2. Thou shall try real hard not to kill anyone, unless they pray to a different invisible man than the one you do.
    3. Thou shall keep thy religion to thyself.
    Thank you George Carlin

Rift Disciple

If you need* it, Need it. Otherwise Greed it.

*Are you going to wear it? Y/N
    Is it for your class? Y/N
    If Yes/Yes, Need it.
    If No/Yes - No/No, Greed it.
    If Yes/No, ASK 1st and make sure noone else needs it.
    Last edited by Lilun; 04-20-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Lilun View Post
    If you need* it, Need it. Otherwise Greed it.

*Are you going to wear it? Y/N
    Is it for your class? Y/N
    If Yes/Yes, Need it.
    If No/Yes - No/No, Greed it.
    If Yes/No, ASK 1st and make sure noone else needs it.
    When you say 'Is it for your class' I'm going to assume that you mean 'Is it chain'. When I look at a piece of gear I check to see if it says 'cleric', not 'chain'. Then I check stats and see if it's something I would wear. Generally if it isn't chain I wouldn't wear it... but I do have a few pieces of cloth for my Inquisitor spec.

I helped to kill the mob just the same as you did. You don't have exclusive rights to an item that is an upgrade for me just because it says 'cloth'.

Having said that, I generally wont roll on cloth because chain is better, but if I'm going to equip it, I'm going to NEED it.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

+ Reply to Thread