+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Does Templar have any offensive abilities for Clerics?

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    34

    Default Does Templar have any offensive abilities for Clerics?

    I haven't really studied the Templar tree too much but I wanted to know if there were any offensive abilities there that would augment a DPS Cleric. If there isn't, should there be?

  2. #2
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    69

    Default

    If you're talking PVE dps, no. Almost all of the talents explicitly state "against players", making it useless in PVE. It has a heal and a CD you can use, but it's not worth spending the points in it for PVE. Almost all of the talents there are defensive in nature, and are there to help keep you alive while you use the offensive abilities from other trees.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    237

    Default

    NO, the templar tree is horrible for dps. Templar is only good if you're a pvp healer, otherwise don't bother.

    I really wish that they would give us some dps talents in templar so that it was worth speccing into.

  4. #4
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Littlebomb View Post
    NO, the templar tree is horrible for dps. Templar is only good if you're a pvp healer, otherwise don't bother.

    I really wish that they would give us some dps talents in templar so that it was worth speccing into.
    Let me get this straight, you are saying that no one but healing clerics should spec in Templar?

    You do realize, all the dps in the world doesnt help you when you are freaking dead.
    Eol, Chloromancer and Justinian, Inquistor, Guardians of Faeblight.
    Previous incarnations include: Camring and Camran, SWTOR; Ceol & Duri - LotRO; Eol - L2; Kili - WoW; Camring - SWG; Justinian, Camring - DAoC

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ceol View Post
    Let me get this straight, you are saying that no one but healing clerics should spec in Templar?

    You do realize, all the dps in the world doesnt help you when you are freaking dead.
    Yeah because running around being a heal bot 80% of the time I play rift is SO MUCH FUN I want to do it when I pvp also!

  6. #6
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,207

    Default

    templar is fine for dps too, but the effectiveness kind of stops around 13 points and none of the templar abilities help you do more damage. (except maybe the p6 half reflect+ heal ability lol) it only helps survivability and healing.
    Do the herpty derp, please, keep LOSing your healers behind objects so you die.

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faredina View Post
    If you're talking PVE dps, no. Almost all of the talents explicitly state "against players", making it useless in PVE. It has a heal and a CD you can use, but it's not worth spending the points in it for PVE. Almost all of the talents there are defensive in nature, and are there to help keep you alive while you use the offensive abilities from other trees.
    Why in the world would you come to the conclusion he was talking about PVE? I mean really..

    And no, there are no PVP dps abilities like other callings have in our pvp tree. They basically split into two categories. Really awful healing boosts or survival boosts which are actually pretty good. Right now there is really only 1 templar path thats worth the points, but for dps its arguable whether or not theres any point at all in going past 13 points, if that far.

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ceol View Post
    Let me get this straight, you are saying that no one but healing clerics should spec in Templar?

    You do realize, all the dps in the world doesnt help you when you are freaking dead.
    Thanks for that Corporal Obvious.

    What you fail to take into account is that the Templar tree is not the only way to increase survivability as a dps. As a healer, you not only need the survivability more since you have few/no natural escapes and are more likely to get targeted, but you also are obviously already utilizing the cleric trees. As a dps, you have the option of either speccing into the healing trees which often offer both survivability AND dps boosts, or speccing into the templar tree for solely survivability increases. Like say as an Inquis, is Templar really worth losing the massive healing of Justicar for? Maybe.. but its certainly not as cut and dry as you seem to think.
    Last edited by Lucasa; 04-19-2011 at 01:34 PM.

  9. #9
    Telaran Kaloryth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ponytoucher View Post
    Yeah because running around being a heal bot 80% of the time I play rift is SO MUCH FUN I want to do it when I pvp also!
    Why do you assume that survivability = casting heals? I put 15 points in templar for my heal spec, but none of it actually improves my healing exclusively, only the root, healing momentum, is an actual heal improvement since it's a heal ...and I suppose you could argue detaunt since you can't attack with it up.

    What those 15 points DO help with is 15% less melee crits on me, 15% less caster damage blowing me up, reduced silences on me, 15% reduce damage overall, and Quick Recovery works for DPS spells too!

    So once again, why is templar a healer only soul?

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts