+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AOE Leveling, really that efficent?

Shadowlander

Default AOE Leveling, really that efficent?

Hello everyone,

Recently I've been looking into new forms of leveling because I'm getting extremely tired with questing. I browsed the forums and came across AOE leveling. I saw that a majority of people are running Inq/Just/Sent. I'm level 34 and found a VERY good spot with melee level 35's and 36's. I have been doing this for roughly 35ish minutes and have gotten around a 5 bars out of 10.

Is this actually on par, or better with questing in terms of how fast you can gain levels?

Thank you for any insight,

Talint
    Last edited by Talint; 04-07-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Telaran

Aoe grinding will be multiple times greater exp/h than questing if you find a full spawn of melee mobs within your level range. At a certain point I just stopped questing and stuck to aoe grinding and dungeons.

I got about 1 bar of exp every 5min aoe grinding. Here is the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5gZoZY64x4

Here is the build:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00....Vtd.Eu0o0jc0o

Hope that helps.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by spitfirek View Post

Here is the build:

Hope that helps.
    Very impressive but could you break the build down say at level 30 and 40 so people know what too put points in first?

lvl 30:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00anr.VV.Vxk.Eu0o0c

lvl 40:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...h0c.Vxk.Eu0o0c

Macros:

Ranged Macro:
    #show Bombard
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Glory of the Chosen
    cast Sovereignty
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Bombard

Single Target Macro(almost never used):
    #show Censure
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Glory of the Chosen
    cast Fated Blow
    cast Censure
    cast Eruption of Life
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Combined Effort
    cast Trickster Spirit
    cast Lightning Hammer
    cast Strike of Judgment

AOE Macro:
    #show Even Justice
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Glory of the Chosen
    cast Fated Blow
    cast Even Justice

Start by putting on Glacial Shield, it does damage back to attackers and absorbs a good amount of damage while you are pulling. Use the range macro and/or body pull the mobs. Group them up and spam the aoe macro pretty much all the time unless there is only 1 mob and no other mobs close to pull. Make sure to use Purpose and Fae Hammer to keep mana up(they are both on 1min CDs, I find that I use one of them every 30sec). Salvation + Mein of Honor + Faerie Pet + Glory of the Chosen should keep you healed through pretty much anything, but if it doesn't use Doctrine of Bliss, Balm of the Woods, Shield of Oak(physical dmg only), and/or Glacial Shield.
    Last edited by spitfirek; 04-08-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Plane Touched

Thank you very much just got too 29 so want too give this a try

Quote Originally Posted by spitfirek View Post

Here is the build:

Hope that helps.
    I'm not saying this to brag or rain on your parade, but after watching that video I can honestly say that's way less efficient than a Inq build. Way less. If I had to guess I'd say it takes you about 2 to 3 times longer to kill the mobs. And for what it's worth one of my roles is very similar to that (it's my melee DPS/offhealer in instances when needed), and I have used it to AoE farm/grind just to compare the two. It's not even close.
    Last edited by Sixpax; 04-08-2011 at 03:04 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sixpax View Post
    I'm not saying this to brag or rain on your parade, but after watching that video I can honestly say that's way less efficient than a Inq build. Way less. If I had to guess I'd say it takes you about 2 to 3 times longer to kill the mobs. And for what it's worth one of my roles is very similar to that (it's my melee DPS/offhealer in instances when needed), and I have used it to AoE farm/grind just to compare the two. It's not even close.
    His build works pretty well tbh. However if people have builds that are more efficiant dont just post a random coment then not even include the build. Not saying you dont have a more efficient build but without details the comment is kind of worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixpax View Post
    I also have an Inquisitor build for aoe grinding. It does WAY higher numbers on burst dps but it runs out of mana every 6-10 pulls and has issues with tethering of the mobs if I try to do a continuous pull. So I have to stop and AOE then down after I grab a couple. I also have to either drink or waste time doing a "mana regen pull" using whatever mana regen abilities I have... usually on just 1 mob. The time it takes to regen mana and the fact that you have to stop after 5-8 mobs and aoe makes up for the less dps of this build IMO.

Oh, and the other thing is that even though the numbers in this vid are not super high, they are every GCD... which is not the case for the Inquisitor build. So the actual dps is not that different.

EDIT: BTW, you can easily make and upload vids from in-game to youtube... there is a built-in function in the game that does it for you "CRTL+Y" toggles the record button and after you are done it encodes it and then you can upload it to youtube; all from INSIDE the game!

So, if you do have a faster aoe grinding build make a small clip and show us
    Last edited by spitfirek; 04-08-2011 at 06:16 AM.

I looked at his build and setup and video as well and I have to concur wirth previous posts. Hi style AOEing works but it's a slow grind through mobs. I run Justicar/Inquisitor/Sentinel and all I do is run around casting Vex on everything in an area, then fanaticism to gaurantee a crit and then Soul drain them all,.. if they aren't dead I recast vex on them all, hit myself with a bliss if needed then soul drain once more and by then they are all dead. If anything is still alive I finish them off with a mana drain to refill what little mana I'm down on. I have heard just/Inq/Cab is even better but I like having a heal on hand from Sentinel to heal myself with which doesn't rely on a convivtion. Oh and I toss in a few sanctions and light bolts here and there too to keep up convictions for qhick easy heals. And while I think AOEing is good XP, I tend to liek to do quests WHILE aoeing... Meaning I just slaughter everything everywhere I go while questing in large groups.

Plane Touched

Combine the questing with AOE.

Do a shermans AOE march to the quest location. Drop your 10-12 kills in a few pulls, pick up your interactives clearing multiple pickups do a shermans aoe march back to the quest givers rinse and repeat.

Shadowlander

Inquisitor may be quicker but if you pull 5+ you'll probably die?

I did level with Inquisitor/Warden and keep the heal over time spells on myself, mana breaks - not a problem for me because I'm not a machine, I like to chill and play, listen to music and stuff.

Nice video though, was amusing to watch.

Telaran

Cabalist AE (Tyranny) can hit 7 mobs, but it maxes out damage/mob at 4 mobs
    Soul Drain is up to 4 mobs hit, but maxes out damage/mob at 3 mobs
    Even Justice spam is 5 mobs when talented, but maxes out damage/mob at 1 mob

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00dor.Vxkb.V0V.VuMo

This is the build where I started to AE insanely well. Note that anywhere from 3-4 mobs is a good number to pull, but you can go up to 7 mobs if you outlevel or outgear the mobs significantly

1st mob: Decay and Vex
    2nd-5th mob: Vex
    After vexing last mob, cast Soul Drain while he runs at you
    Tyranny x3

The good thing is that you kill them off before your vexes drop. Which is a lot faster than Even Justice spam. But it is more risky because LoS issues can keep mobs from hitting each other with SD/Tyranny. Don't pull next to trees/rocks/etc.

Build and maintain convictions if you want a safety net of heals. Cabalist sigil of power on 5 mobs is usually a full bar of mana every 2 min. But you can use agressive renewal on your first mob, then decay on second mob for even more mana regen.
    Last edited by Spifnar; 04-08-2011 at 10:09 AM.

I want to start a cleric...aoe leveling is a must.

How should you start off ?

I agree with the other guys saying to AoE your quest mobs. Double dip on the XP!

Spitfirek's build/rotation looks solid, but I wonder how it goes when you get a ranged mob. None of the builds I've used (mainly Inq/Cab and Inq/Just) have nearly that sustainability. You can get more burst AoE DPS with Inq, but you'll be sitting to drink every few pulls. I usually end up pulling 4-5 together on top of a ranged mob and burning them down. Depends on what's around tho. If you find that spot Spitfirek was in, that looks like the holy grail of XP grinding.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast