+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Viable Tank Spec? (W/Inquis)

Default Viable Tank Spec? (W/Inquis)

I've been looking at starting tanking and looked through some of the different specs. I like to try new things so came up with this build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...0z.Vo;TELEyMVA

The nice thing is you get Armor of Treachery that gives you 215 extra armor and the 3% damage increase. I don't know if Inner Focus works on Strike of Judgment or Censure and such as I'm not sure whether that is considered a damaging spell or not, but it would at least boost Bolt of Radiance, Sovereignty, Jolt and the two DoTs that you can now use.

The only thing you really lose from this is the two top tier abilities in Justicar (from not going 51), 2% damage, the 5% mana regen from blocks and the extra 3 enemies hit from Even Justice. Plus you gain the extras from the Shaman tree.

So just curious what others though?

Rift Disciple

I would get Armor of Devotion instead. 215 armor is really nothing, the stamina from Armor of Devotion stack with other stamina buffs which shores up our relatively low HP pools a little. Plus the 3% crit will help Convictions since you took Light Makes Right, and will help you proc Jolt more and get more mileage out of Overwhelming.

Also, you have no Vengeful Justice, you really kind of need that. I realize mana is unlikely to be an issue with both Ageless Ice and Purpose, but if you're going shield, Commitment doesn't hurt. Barring that, Hammer of Virtue for more threat. Doctrine of Valiance is crap and shouldn't be taken unless you really want to go full 51 Justicar. Humility, Forced to Kneel, and Supremacy aren't really tanking talents... take the points from there.

Here's how I personally would tweak your build:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...czoo.Eed0z.V0z

If you have mana problems (haha) move the 3 from Hammer of Virtue to Commitment.
    Last edited by Harwel; 04-05-2011 at 08:26 AM.

I prefer this build myself. The ability to purge mobs on pull plus the ability to keep myself from being feared is quite nice. Plus 20% more damage and heals on crit is nice, especially combined with the Shaman's 20%.

I do very little physical damage, so I don't take the 5 points in shaman to increase that. If I'm tanking, I can generate a lot more threat in a GCD than the Glacial Shield gives me also, so I don't have that in my tanking build, though I did use it when leveling.

Also, when tanking, I find I use convictions only rarely -- generally just on Precept of Refuge -- so using a point to gain extra convictions doesn't seem worth it to me when I'm almost always sitting at my cap of 4 anyway. And I love the mana return from Commitment, especially when fighting multiple mobs -- makes mana only an issue on long, single-target boss fights, and I've got Purpose and Ageless Ice for those.

YMMV with playstyle, of course, but this is what's working for me.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by pkudude View Post
    I prefer this build myself. The ability to purge mobs on pull plus the ability to keep myself from being feared is quite nice. Plus 20% more damage and heals on crit is nice, especially combined with the Shaman's 20%.

I do very little physical damage, so I don't take the 5 points in shaman to increase that. If I'm tanking, I can generate a lot more threat in a GCD than the Glacial Shield gives me also, so I don't have that in my tanking build, though I did use it when leveling.

Also, when tanking, I find I use convictions only rarely -- generally just on Precept of Refuge -- so using a point to gain extra convictions doesn't seem worth it to me when I'm almost always sitting at my cap of 4 anyway. And I love the mana return from Commitment, especially when fighting multiple mobs -- makes mana only an issue on long, single-target boss fights, and I've got Purpose and Ageless Ice for those.

YMMV with playstyle, of course, but this is what's working for me.
    Regarding the underlined, it's been tested and appears to work with Strike of Judgement and Even Justice. Surely a bug, but there you have it.
    Last edited by Harwel; 04-05-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Rift Disciple

You missed one of the two main reasons anyone uses Inq in a tank build, including myself; the purge and the endurance buff. Also, if you spec more into Justicar and get the shield block mana regen, Ageless Ice from Shaman is pointless... I only go 10 in to Sham for the str buff. You also didn't take the 5 minute battle rez, huge mistake there.

Here's my current 10/46/10 build:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...EuRsqeezoo.VLz

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by akirhol View Post
    You missed one of the two main reasons anyone uses Inq in a tank build, including myself; the purge and the endurance buff. Also, if you spec more into Justicar and get the shield block mana regen, Ageless Ice from Shaman is pointless... I only go 10 in to Sham for the str buff. You also didn't take the 5 minute battle rez, huge mistake there.

Can't edit now...

Didn't even realize you didn't take the Even Justice talent, that's a pretty big deal as well. There are more 3+ pulls than there are 2 pulls, not having the talent is kinda silly.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by akirhol View Post

Sorry, wrong spec I was looking at, you did take the battle rez but you also took talents useless in PvE tanking... in effort to stick closer to your initial build, this is what I would do for you:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...czoo.EId0z.V0z

Doctrine of Valiance is currently useless, dropped that. Dropped the snare and stun, also pointless in PvE tanking since the stun is only 2 seconds on a 20 second cooldown. Dropped a couple points from Shaman so you could retain the Wisdom buff that I'm sure you want to keep. Moved the point in Inq to the endurance buff. Picked up melee damage talent in Justicar and Even Justice talent, the latter is a requirement pretty much. Didn't pick up the mana block talent since you have both Purpose and Ageless Ice - you shouldn't have mana issues.

In the long run is it better to have the Purge from Inquis (thus gaining the 20% crit bonus and 45% vex heal)

Or is it better to have the Wisdom buff in Shaman for the whole party?

These are the two I am looking between including suggestions above:

Shaman Heavy: Justicar (38) / Shaman (20) / Inquisitor (8)

Inquis Heavy: Justicar (38) / Shaman (16) / Inquisitor (12)

I guess it should actually be:

In the long run is it better to have the Purge and immune to fear every 2 mins from Inquis (thus gaining the 20% crit bonus and 45% vex heal)

Or is it better to have the Wisdom buff in Shaman for the whole party? (thus gaining Glacial Shield and 3% melee damage increase)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Dakcenturi View Post
    In the long run is it better to have the Purge from Inquis (thus gaining the 20% crit bonus and 45% vex heal)

Or is it better to have the Wisdom buff in Shaman for the whole party?

These are the two I am looking between including suggestions above:

Shaman Heavy: Justicar (38) / Shaman (20) / Inquisitor (8)

Inquis Heavy: Justicar (38) / Shaman (16) / Inquisitor (12)
    I personally would say the Inq build is better for both Purge and the anti-fear if you are going to go 12 deep. Looks like you don't want to give up Just Defense, can't blame you on that one. In your Justicar tree though, I would drop Commitment (mana on block) in favor of the melee damage talent and maybe Light Makes Right if you find yourself short on convictions. With both Ageless Ice and Purpose, you really shouldn't have any mana issues, though granted you will have to be more active in making sure you don't go OOM.

If you're willing to give up the Wisdom buff, I would actually drop Shaman all the way to 10 or 12, depending on if you want Glory of the Chosen, and then go back to 5/5 Commitment. Maybe something like this:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...eezoo.Vfb.Vxzo

You get the mana regen that you are going to lose from dropping Shaman, and don't forget you also get another 1% of armor per point in Justicar. It may not seem that significant, but every little bit helps over a long fight.

You also lose the resists buff, but the only fight I've seen so far where resists make a big difference is T2 DD, Scarn... and that's fire, which you need to go 26 into Shaman for. I've considered going this deep into Shaman, but I am really hooked on that +450 HP... about 1300 EHP after armor mitigation for me currently. It's nice being over 9k in party now, and only in T1 gear and still not ready to tank T2s.

I'm really not a big fan of including Jolt in any tank spec... There's no good arguable reason to. Yes it's a non-GCD damage talent for practically free, but it's only at 40% damage and it's also single target... do we have single target threat issues? Not that I've ever seen.

These are all my opinion, please don't take anything I say for hard fact. As long as you have the few skills that would be simply dumb not to have, you'll be fine. You should always play how YOU want to play, not me or anyone else here.

I appreciate the feedback. I haven't done any tanking yet but I'm tired of waiting around for T1/T2 groups for a tank :P So I figure I should learn.

As it is, I was leaning more toward the 12 Inquis for the purge and anti-fear but wasn't sure if the whole group getting 40 wisdom would be a bigger benefit to the party. If I dropped down to 10 in Shaman would it be better to put the extra points in Just and pick up Resplendent Embrace or put the points into Inquis and grab Soul Drain, Spiritual Protection and Spiritual Deficiency?

Rift Disciple

I appreciate the feedback. I haven't done any tanking yet but I'm tired of waiting around for T1/T2 groups for a tank :P So I figure I should learn.

As it is, I was leaning more toward the 12 Inquis for the purge and anti-fear but wasn't sure if the whole group getting 40 wisdom would be a bigger benefit to the party. If I dropped down to 10 in Shaman would it be better to put the extra points in Just and pick up Resplendent Embrace or put the points into Inquis and grab Soul Drain, Spiritual Protection and Spiritual Deficiency?
    I'm 46 into Justicar and hardly ever use Resplendent Embrace... with a good healing setup, you really shouldn't need it but there are a few times it's come in handy. Going 18 into Inq will make your casters happy when they're doing +7% damage, but it does nothing to help your melee and right now warriors are doing some pretty heavy single target DPS in the right spec. You'd also have to pull out of some pretty useful Justicar stuff to do that... I also don't see a need for Life/Death resist in any T1/T2 content currently.

If you want to go deeper Inq, I'd only go as far as Soul Drain. That would probably help with larger AOE pull threat but Even Justice does the job pretty good for me currently. I'll also say there aren't many fights where the fear immunity would make that big of a difference... the one that comes to mind first is also in T2 DD, Michael something... the werewolf. He fears before running into the light and if you aren't in melee range after his self buffing, your party takes huge amounts of damage. While I'm still considering switching to 12 Inq for it, the above stated is why I am still at 10 in favor of more armor from Justicar.

Rift Disciple

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone else is reading and would care to comment, especially if they've tried this. Theorycrafting a heavy shaman spec:
    34 Just / 26 Sham / 6 Inq

I'm keeping my beloved +50 endurance, gaining another wonderful AoE attack, charge... losing Just Defense though and some armor so not sure how much I like losing that. I could pull the 6 points from Inq, but I don't want to lose the HP.

EDIT: Also gaining the ability to buff any elemental resist, which is useful on Scarn at least.
    EDIT2: I also know I mentioned earlier I don't like Jolt, but if I'm going THAT far into Sham, I may as well. I just don't like speccing it when there are better talents.
    Last edited by akirhol; 04-05-2011 at 12:42 PM.

If you were going with that spec then I would personally take the three points out of Vengeful Justice and put two into Eye of the Storm and one into Hammer of Virtue (just to keep the 32 points in Just for Interdict)

Something like this (I dropped the Interdict) http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...eezoo.Vfb.Vxzo
    Last edited by Dakcenturi; 04-05-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Rift Disciple

If you were going with that spec then I would personally take the three points out of Vengeful Justice and put two into Eye of the Storm and one into Hammer of Virtue (just to keep the 32 points in Just for Interdict)

Something like this (I dropped the Interdict) http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...eezoo.Vfb.Vxzo
    I would never drop Vengeful Justice... as mentioned earlier, it is a required talent for instance tanking. You simply will not be able to hold pack aggro while hitting only two mobs. A large portion of trash pulls are 3+ mobs and your best friend is DPS AoE, which you will not hold aggro through without Vengeful Justice. Maelstrom is good for AoE threat, even after the 60% reduction in damage, but it's on a 10 second cooldown.

Your link is a 42/12/12 build.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast