Closed Thread

Thread: One hand or two hand weapon?

Shadowlander

Default One hand or two hand weapon?

Hi everyone, I've just started leveling my cleric, going justicar + whatever looks fun for leveling, and I was wondering is it better to use a two handed weapon or a one hander and a shield? I've noticed two hander is a bit faster, but I take damage more quickly. Does it matter all that much once I get to the fun points in the soul? She's barely in the starting area, but I figured it'd be good to find out in advance
    Any advice is appreciated!

Rift Chaser

Unless you are tanking with a group do not use a shield... period. You take a huge spellpower hit using a shield and it's just not worth it for most stuff outside of an instance.

As for 1h + off-hand vs. 2h mace vs. 2h staff it depends what you are doing.

If you are a caster you are very unlikely to find a 1h + OH that is as good as what ever 2h thing you have at the same level. Sometimes you will, in which case go ahead and use the 1h + OH if you are healing or a caster, spellpower and spell crit (in that order) are what matter. 2h hammers generally have more spellpower, wisdom and endurance gains that a staff but the staff will generally have more int and spellcrit. Basically pick which ever seems better.

If you are going Melee, which based on your comments it sounds like you are, you want a 2h hammer 90% of the time. 2h hammer's have more weapon damage, not dps but the damage range "XX-XX damage per hit". This is because your abilities take the weapon damage + whatever. Staves tend to attack faster but do less damage per hit but your white hits don't really matter much.
    My hybrid just kicked your ***, how sad are you?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Unspecified View Post
    Unless you are tanking with a group do not use a shield... period. You take a huge spellpower hit using a shield and it's just not worth it for most stuff outside of an instance.

As for 1h + off-hand vs. 2h mace vs. 2h staff it depends what you are doing.

If you are a caster you are very unlikely to find a 1h + OH that is as good as what ever 2h thing you have at the same level. Sometimes you will, in which case go ahead and use the 1h + OH if you are healing or a caster, spellpower and spell crit (in that order) are what matter. 2h hammers generally have more spellpower, wisdom and endurance gains that a staff but the staff will generally have more int and spellcrit. Basically pick which ever seems better.

If you are going Melee, which based on your comments it sounds like you are, you want a 2h hammer 90% of the time. 2h hammer's have more weapon damage, not dps but the damage range "XX-XX damage per hit". This is because your abilities take the weapon damage + whatever. Staves tend to attack faster but do less damage per hit but your white hits don't really matter much.
    This isn't actually true, and is misleading (of the game). Late beta they changed it so that ALL abilities, and their damage (if they use weapon damage), is based on the weapon's dps, not the damage of the min/max.etc.

Shadowlander

So, 2 handed mace to be safe? What if I have a staff that says it does more damage than my mace? Still the mace?

Soulwalker

you might try this whenever you get an option to change weapons:

Before you change out your weps, check your character stats screen. Note the attack power and spell power.

Change the weapons. Then note the changes to your attack power and spell power. Then go with whichever weapon gives you the best.

After awhile, you'll pick up on what makes the differences and will be better able to make informed choices if shopping on the AH or whatever.

2-hand hammer and 2-hand staves are no different anymore, justicars used to get 10% bonus for using hammers. but that skill was turned into 5% more damage.

if a staff is better then your hammer it is a upgrade.

keep in mind it may say more DPS, but watch the spell power and wisdom bonus very closely. more SP = more damage.

only real difference now is the sounds they make when you attack.
    god i hate the staff noise but i am stuck with a staff for a long long time.
    Last edited by greyhawk; 03-29-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Shadowlander

Gotcha. Thanks for the help guys!

Rift Chaser

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by greyhawk View Post
    only real difference now is the sounds they make when you attack.
    god i hate the staff noise but i am stuck with a staff for a long long time.
    Just imagine yourself as a Monk with a staff to hiiiyaaaaahhhhh everyone!

Default Weapon speed & Crits

Advice above is fine, but don't forget that more swings = more crits.
    I actually preferred staff, which swings more often (3 sec vs 3.8?), when leveling as Shaman for the extra (if only a few) Jolt procs. Jolt hits like a truck. I even had a higher dps one handed mace with offhand (not shield which are low in SP) for a couple of levels and I didn't really notice much difference in kill speed due to the extra Jolts, but this probably not ideal if better dps two hander is available.
    Last edited by Knobby; 03-30-2011 at 01:59 AM.

Closed Thread