+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yet another Melee Cleric thread.

Telaran

Default Yet another Melee Cleric thread.

So, I'm dead set on being deeo shaman for my melee build.

I've seen plenty of the 44/11/11 builds that utilise 3 * 20% added crit dmg. I'm just not certain that some of the key druid abilities simply are'nt too good to pass on.

Anyway, I've come up with this:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...trsAo.Vq0q0z.m

44/18/4 Sham/Dru/Sent.

The macro would look something like this:

suppressmacrofailures
    cast Jolt
    cast Fated Blow
    cast Glory of the Chosen (might as well keep it there)
    cast Eruption of life
    cast Combined Effort
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Lightning Hammer
    cast Life's Vengeance
    cast Bombard
    cast Crushing Blow

I'm not entirely thrilled about putting 5 points into long memory since such a skill rotation will make it nigh useless but the alternative, is 10% increased healing/3% less dmg (actually might just be worth it). You gain the utility of slumber and silence and on paper, the damage looks decent.

thoughts? Think it could deal competetive dps in pve?

Telaran

Bah, They won't let me edit.

What I'm wondering is if Eruption of Life, Crag Hammer and the pet could possibly make up for the reduced amount of Massive blows and not just getting passive buffs from inq/sent for example. I would'nt mind having the ever so slightly increased utility of a 10 sec cc and a silence.
    Last edited by CaptainFilth; 03-26-2011 at 06:34 AM.

Shadowlander

I have tried to get a hybrid shaman/justy build going for a bit now, but the one thing i have noticed is that if you are going to go with Massive Blow, you need to go with it. The loss in massive blows youll get with this spec (or at least that macro) is going to gimp your deeps. I did some testing, and while I no longer have the data available, I found that putting in even one extra ability besides massive blow and crushing blow made my deeps go down. But as i said, it was with Justy, not druid. I would be interested in what you found to be true, I do know one thing though and that is that Balm of the Woods is the worst heal in the game and not worth the point.
    Sacrilegious

Lethal Council

I like hitting t2 bosses for 1600+

44/11/11 all the way baby! Plus having Purge + 5% crit buff is very nice for 5 mans.

If (and this is a pretty big if) your Satyr survives an entire boss fight, sham/druid is slightly more dps I think. You should probably try out a few macros to see which one does over all damage. Like cutting out Lightning Hammer, Lifes Vengence and bombard to see if the extra massive blows are worth it or leaving bombard in (bombard should be in front of lifes vengence and lightning hammer its more damage than both)

After the patch though... new pet buff might change things for 5mans.
    A Justicar's path is not one of ease. But, hey, we do get to hit stuff.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by oldcharon View Post
    I have tried to get a hybrid shaman/justy build going for a bit now, but the one thing i have noticed is that if you are going to go with Massive Blow, you need to go with it. The loss in massive blows youll get with this spec (or at least that macro) is going to gimp your deeps. I did some testing, and while I no longer have the data available, I found that putting in even one extra ability besides massive blow and crushing blow made my deeps go down. But as i said, it was with Justy, not druid. I would be interested in what you found to be true, I do know one thing though and that is that Balm of the Woods is the worst heal in the game and not worth the point.
    Balm is only really there because, reducing the CD on Eruption of Life won't make any difference.

As mentioned, I'm just wondering if Eruption of Life, Crag Hammer, a pet (Fairy obviously) and the innate buffs make up for the loss of those MBs. Inq is pretty nice as far as the two dots and the 20% crit dmg go but the 5% spellcrit don't lend themselves well at all to Shaman.

I'm basically just trying to get 18 points in druid for Crag Hammer since I'm investing points there anyway. I suppose the Druid tree just does'nt function all that well as support since you basically want at least 15 points to make Bombard really good.

the thing with doing sha/inq/sent for example is that you're still using two gcd's on the two spelldots so the rotation does'nt leave all that much more room for proccing more massive blows. Furthermore, those 20% added crits are somewhat hard to stack up against 5% passive atkpwr and 5% baseline crit.

I wonder if it even pays off using SH/Vex when going deep Shaman. That's my whole conondurm in fact. When does adding more gcds starting hurt you because you want to use crushing blow ---> massive?

Telaran

After further introspection I've decided that 44/11/11 sha/dry/sent is probably more suited for deep shaman builds.

It looks like this:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...rsAo.VV0o.V0xz, quite similar to standard sha/inq/sent.

Inq provides two dots with 20% increased crit dmg and 8% spellcrit/3% physical crit.

Druid gives you 5% increased attack power, 5% phys/spell crit, Bombard, a pet and slumber.

That's quite easy to compare at face value but question is when does adding dots and nukes start hampering your massive blow procs due to gcds and how much is physical crit worth compared to spellcrit.

5% attack pwer may seem weak compared to 20% added crit dmg but it has nice synergy with the sent tree and those 5 first inq points don't provide all that much value to the spec either.
    Last edited by CaptainFilth; 03-26-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Shadowlander

About th 5% spell crit... it is definitely worth it imo. Its not for your dots, its for your Jolt, which hits extremely hard.

I rarely used the dots when in melee range, but they were handy to have to drop on ranged fights, or to put them on as you are running into the fight.
    Sacrilegious

Lethal Council

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by oldcharon View Post
    About th 5% spell crit... it is definitely worth it imo. Its not for your dots, its for your Jolt, which hits extremely hard.

I rarely used the dots when in melee range, but they were handy to have to drop on ranged fights, or to put them on as you are running into the fight.
    It's 8%/3% spell/phys for inq and 5%/5% for druids. Phys crit should be much better and soul points do not translate.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFilth View Post
    The macro would look something like this:

suppressmacrofailures
    cast Jolt
    cast Fated Blow
    cast Glory of the Chosen (might as well keep it there)
    cast Eruption of life
    cast Combined Effort
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Lightning Hammer
    cast Life's Vengeance
    cast Bombard
    cast Crushing Blow
    I'd question putting Bombard so low in the queue order. It hits damn hard, especially for a 6 second CD spell.

One thing you could do is to run a parser for 5 minutes, and check to see which skills are doing the most damage. You can adjust your order from that.

I'm actually doing more damage as a main druid/shaman/inquisitor than a shaman heavy, by over 100 DPS. Although, this might be due to my comparatively low crit. Not well geared at all.

Oh... and kudos to you for bringin' cleric melee to the forefront! Haven't been able to do this much... seems everyone is asking for caster dps....

Shadowlander

I was a bit confused during my last post. I meant the 5% debuff from the sentinal tree. The spec you posted is almost exactly what I play. I dont have slumber, and i put that point somewhere else, but otherwise, its exactly the same.
    Sacrilegious

Lethal Council

Champion

I'm actually having better results with a 26 druid, rest shaman than an 18 druid build. Also, put Massive Blow ahead of Combined Effort. With the brutalize bleed, Massive Blow deals more damage. Add in the 30% crit buff, and it does a lot more. Put it ahead of Combined Effort

Telaran

I'm terribly sorry thay I can't provide anything concrete myself, it's all theorycraft for now.

I have a strong suspicion that 10 (+1) druid is better than 10 (+1) ing for the 44/11/11 shammies out there.

If anyone is willing to test it, please give your thoughts, otherwise I'll get to it sooner or later.

Keep in mind that if you're going to be a deep shaman, you're going to have to figure exaclty which secondary skill you actually want to use.

+ Reply to Thread