+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Cabalist...

Soulwalker

Default The Cabalist...

So, Im really enjoying the cabalist soul of the cleric calling. It feels like a pure DoT spec (decay + dots) with burst capability from OB. The only problem is after looking through the cab tree, I don't see myself beng effect in endgame DPS or endgame PVP.

In terms of PvP, the only thing potential CC abilities are the root(15 s cd) the aoe silence (This looks epic!) and the aoe Stun (2 secs on 2 min cd).The Port/Blink thing is unreliable. Sigil of binding is very weak IMO, it requires tyranny to trigger and lasts 5 secs, thats only ~4 seconds of 50% slow. I tried making a spec with26 inq for the spammable CC and the AoE fear (I think the CD should be lower because the champ's one is 30 second cd), but I give up the AoE silence/+% death damage talents/ and the 51 pointer.

In Terms of PvE, I find i prefer decay > shadow touch at the moment. That might change if I choose to obtain the 10% damage increase for shadow's touch.Personally, I think the cabalists's AoE damage can be overwhelming with decay + tryranny spam. The problem is I find that I am reliant too much on Inq DoTs and it feels really hard to start DPS on another target because two of my DoTs have 15 s Cds w/ 15 s durations, and another one is on a 30 second CD.

So, the Question is, am I being too cynical right now? Will it get better as a hit higher levels? Any Tips from high levels clerics/cabalists?

My Made up Cab/inq with spammable CC and aoe fear build:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...hkdk.VykbMtk.x

Plane Touched

The best cleric PvE build is, and always will be, heavy inq/cab/sent. Vex 4 enemies+soul drain, with instant-cure from sent and quick decay>tyranny if your soul drain doesn't instakill your enemies is quite simply the fastest and most reliable grind spec for cleric, and may be the best grind spec of any calling.

As far as pvp, it's a tough call at 50. Especially with the mage buff incoming and the general strength of Pyros, cleric has trouble keeping up in straight dps compared to a mage. There's generally two different strategies. One is a heavy inq/cab build where you try to get Bolt of Depravity procs off Bolt of Judgement, while spamming Sanction Heretic and using Soul Drain as much as possible (as Soul Drain is easily the highest damage Cleric skill, and can rival the damage of any other callings broken skills, as it can easily crit in the 500-900 range up to 4 times on 4 separate enemies).

The Cab heavy build (which you seem to be more interested in) looks like this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...thkdk.Vx0m.V0h. The idea here is basically to spam Bolt of Depravity thanks to the damage boost out of the cab tree, while using Obliterate for damage and tyranny+Sigil of Secrecy/Ruin for crowd control. The problem here is that Obliterate is your "reliable" burst (as a 3-second cast time is LONG), although some advantages are a buffed Soul Drain (but you lose the guaranteed crit off Fanaticism) and more AOE damage, although it's not really significantly higher than Circle of Oblivion spam.

The problem with the cab tree is that it's main draw are the Sigil's, but they really aren't that great. Sign of Asia's is virtually useless, as it does NOT allow you to chain stun or silence (enemy players go immune to both the silence and stun effect after the first cast, for some stupid reason), the snare Sigil is useless, and the debuff one is ineffective in PvP where most players have 2-3 pages of buffs, but it can be somewhat useful when used on a single target with Obliterate.

Personally, I have a hybrid inq/cab, a heavy cab, and an inq/justi/sent that I rotate between depending on what's needed. To be honest, the inq/justi/sent loses very little damage over the others, and being able to spam Doctrine of Loyalty is really pretty powerful. Of course, your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Jerbearr; 03-25-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbearr View Post
    The best cleric PvE build is, and always will be, heavy inq/cab/sent. Vex 4 enemies+soul drain, with instant-cure from sent and quick decay>tyranny if your soul drain doesn't instakill your enemies is quite simply the fastest and most reliable grind spec for cleric, and may be the best grind spec of any calling.

As far as pvp, it's a tough call at 50. Especially with the mage buff incoming and the general strength of Pyros, cleric has trouble keeping up in straight dps compared to a mage. There's generally two different strategies. One is a heavy inq/cab build where you try to get Bolt of Depravity procs off Bolt of Judgement, while spamming Sanction Heretic and using Soul Drain as much as possible (as Soul Drain is easily the highest damage Cleric skill, and can rival the damage of any other callings broken skills, as it can easily crit in the 500-900 range up to 4 times on 4 separate enemies).

The Cab heavy build (which you seem to be more interested in) looks like this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...thkdk.Vx0m.V0h. The idea here is basically to spam Bolt of Depravity thanks to the damage boost out of the cab tree, while using Obliterate for damage and tyranny+Sigil of Secrecy/Ruin for crowd control. The problem here is that Obliterate is your "reliable" burst (as a 3-second cast time is LONG), although some advantages are a buffed Soul Drain (but you lose the guaranteed crit off Fanaticism) and more AOE damage, although it's not really significantly higher than Circle of Oblivion spam.

The problem with the cab tree is that it's main draw are the Sigil's, but they really aren't that great. Sign of Asia's is virtually useless, as it does NOT allow you to chain stun or silence (enemy players go immune to both the silence and stun effect after the first cast, for some stupid reason), the snare Sigil is useless, and the debuff one is ineffective in PvP where most players have 2-3 pages of buffs, but it can be somewhat useful when used on a single target with Obliterate.

Personally, I have a hybrid inq/cab, a heavy cab, and an inq/justi/sent that I rotate between depending on what's needed. To be honest, the inq/justi/sent loses very little damage over the others, and being able to spam Doctrine of Loyalty is really pretty powerful. Of course, your mileage may vary.
    This more or less mirrors my soul choices and experience as well. For Warfront PvP, if you want PvP favor, running a Cabalist is simply awesome. You can rack it up. I haven't had that kind of luck with the Inquis heavy build in Warfronts, it just lags behind. PvE, the Inquis/Justicar combo is indeed solid. I've tried various combos of Cab/Inquis and haven't really come to something I like. I almost always end up back with the heavy Cab build for some reason even though it really does lack something I think..
    "Ye have the stench of WoW about ya boy! It's the foul odor of sour e-peen and DPS parsers! Cleanse yourself first and then we'll talk!"

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbearr View Post

Thanks for the Info. The only problem is I prefer using Decay as my filler for spells (I played an ALock is god forbid which game). My "spec" focuses on CC's , it looks like ill be having to choose between silence & damage or CC. Snare sigil is just bad, I agree.

Shadowlander

@the best pve cleric build will always be...

first, far reaching statement is almost always bogus and rediculous. second, combining inquisitor with justicar makes for much greater survivability due to damage based healing, easy conviction generation and the huge healing doctrines.

going 12+just/31+ inquis will net awesome soloing potential. i prefer to take just all the way up to the parry talents to make rounding up and soloing elites easier, but clearly you could be just as / more effictive on weaker mobs putting extra points into more inquis talents, or cab talents.

for PVE with a group, cabalist/inq is insane for aoe dps, far and away smoking heavy inquisitor specs. Single target, cab and inquis are relatively close.

I love my Cabalist specs, but the Inq/Justi/Templar is just.. better. Easier too. So ******* annoying.

It'd be nice if dark water was instant like sanction heretic.

Jeez, I'm just moan moan moan today.
    Styrr - Bahmi Cleric - Firesand

I've been running around using cabalist as my main soul and while it does have many appealing aspects for me, it just doesn't seem to do all that well in PVP. Yes, it has many dots, and its sigils are fun to play with. Pair this with purifier and you've got your self a pretty good build... that is until you get jumped by a rogue or warrior. The problem is a lack of instant cast skills. There are a couple instant cast dots, but by the time you get your dots up and star casting your nukes, you're dead. I think the cast times on some of our skills could be greatly reduced.

Utilitarily (yes, I made that word up-not to be confused with utilitarian), some of the sigils are great, (AoE stun, silence, buff remover) and can be cast within moments using Tyranny. The problem with that is, without lurking decay, it doesn't do any damage.

In short, Cabalist is a great soul and fun to play around with, but in open world PvP, you may as well just stand there and let them beat you down. At least that's been my experience.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by FrankDunger View Post
    I've been running around using cabalist as my main soul and while it does have many appealing aspects for me, it just doesn't seem to do all that well in PVP. Yes, it has many dots, and its sigils are fun to play with. Pair this with purifier and you've got your self a pretty good build... that is until you get jumped by a rogue or warrior. The problem is a lack of instant cast skills. There are a couple instant cast dots, but by the time you get your dots up and star casting your nukes, you're dead. I think the cast times on some of our skills could be greatly reduced.

Utilitarily (yes, I made that word up-not to be confused with utilitarian), some of the sigils are great, (AoE stun, silence, buff remover) and can be cast within moments using Tyranny. The problem with that is, without lurking decay, it doesn't do any damage.

In short, Cabalist is a great soul and fun to play around with, but in open world PvP, you may as well just stand there and let them beat you down. At least that's been my experience.
    I Wish the cabalist had more survivalbility/CC. I would gl.adly trade some of the AoE dmg from for some more versatility

+ Reply to Thread