+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New cleric, please assist on first build.

Soulwalker

Default New cleric, please assist on first build.

hello fellow clerics, i chose cleric so i can heal raids later, but for the first 30-40 levels what does everyone think is the best Ranged build for the cleric souls?

i have looked at cabalist and inquisitor, which have some nice ranged stuff at low levels, what should i pick as the third soul or what other souls should i pick to be a good ranged dps cleric? should i focus on single target ranged dps or go more a mix of rnaged and aoe?

i have a group that has a tank and healer already, and while i could have picked a more DPS type of class i want to be able to heal later, and want to have a cool ranged dps now for leveling.

thanks
    -silentdante

Rift Chaser

inq/sent/ward to start...fill out inq, get points in sent...warden gives hot and spammable DD...

inq will eventually get you soul drain...that's your money aoe spell...and then you get CoO...that's all the aoe you really need for lvl'ing and low lvl instances...esp since you can get those w/o giving up your single target dmg...

at like mid 20's you can change it up if u want...inq/cab/puri...inq/cab/sent...inq/cab/ward...inq/justi/sent...etc etc

Soulwalker

Default thanks

appreciate you takin the time, about to fire up the game and get started.
    Last edited by silentdante; 03-24-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Soulwalker

dont forget to take Contempt in inquisitor, its the most important talent for pve lvling

Soulwalker

I'd recommend Inquisitor / Justicar / Sentinel

Start with something like this:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00drj.ExobMx0o.VuMo

Then fill up the following talents in the Inquisitor tree:
    - Circle of Oblivion.
    - Life and Death Concord
    - Symbol of Corruption
    - Corporal Punishment
    - Armor of Devotion
    - Harsh Discipline or Bewilder

Use your leftover points to get +5% spellpower and +20% critical strike damage from Sentinel.

Note that you can replace Sentinel by Purifier or Warden at low levels if you like Healing Spray or Shield of the Ancestors better than Healing Breath.

I found inq/sent/war to be the most survivable. If you have only one spec, that's the one I'd choose for survivability and versatility. It allows you to quest adequately and rift well also. You can dps or heal in a rift w/o having to change roles.
    "Well, my days of not takin' ya seriously are certainly comin' to a middle." ~Capt Malcolm Reynolds

Inq / just / *

The build SP101 posted is the one I've used. Except while I don't put any points to Sentinel, I've switched it to druid. (I like to get in trouble because the pet pulling unnecessary mobs. ) You can swap the 0 tree whenever out of combat Anyways, it heals and does a bit damage, so it's good to have it assisting.

Of course you'll be putting points to sentinel to max DPS, but that'll prolly be very much after you've completed the Inq tree first around lvl 37-40.

I think I've tried every other combination, but the Inquisitor with 12 justicar is the funkiest. It might not be the fastest train to 50, but survivability and overall performance is great compared to pure caster specs and the really dull melee specs, imo.
    Dame/Anoreksia - Prestige Rank 1
    "Just set my score to 5/6 at the beginning of every PVP match before hand and prevent the wasted time of people rigging the outcomes to gain precious little 5/6 outcome." - Forgotten king of pvp

Soulwalker

Default Thanks again

wow thanks a lot to everyone for the thoughts, i have gone pretty close to SP101 spec so that works out nicely.

i am guessing that cabalist doesnt have the best ranged PVE stuff then? i looked at some of the abilities and they "seemed" cool, but i have no clue.
    Last edited by silentdante; 03-25-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Plane Touched

Not sure if your aware, but your original post made it sound like you are stuck with one role which I'm not sure your aware of, that you can make a "solo" build and than buy another role to make as a straight heal build for later.

For soloing, though it's not a range spec but the one I found easily the most survivability and I also use it as my tank spec is Shaman/Justicar/Cabalist. Putting most of my points in Justicar, eventually 10 in Cabalist just for the AE and than the rest into Shaman. as your lvling I would spread the points evenly thru the 3 roles after you get the Mien of Leadership and the other Mien (one is basically for tanking the other for support but works great for soloing).

Imo I think it really depends on your play style, but at lvl 46 these are the three best souls to use together for soloing/support build.
    "He enjoys life -- as do all who are spared the curse of intelligence." -HP Lovecraft in a 1922 letter to Anne Tillery Renshaw
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." - HP Lovecraft "The Call of Cthulhu"

Soulwalker

I recommend NOT starting with Justicar as a secondary. There are serious mana issues early on that will be frustrating for you, especially if you pvp. Edit: this in response to the post that suggested Inq/Justicar. Not sure about the non-Inquisitor builds.

I second the Inq/sentinel/warden build to start. As many points as possible into Inq, 4 points into Warden gets you a knockback and a second heal. 6 points into sentinel gets you a second heal and added survivability.
    Last edited by Hotfreak; 03-25-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by silentdante View Post
    wow thanks a lot to everyone for the thoughts, i have gone pretty close to SP101 spec so that works out nicely.

i am guessing that cabalist doesnt have the best ranged PVE stuff then? i looked at some of the abilities and they "seemed" cool, but i have no clue.
    Inquisitor has vex vex = happy levelling. Essentially spec single target damage improvements and VEX until you can switch over to AOE and drop your single target improvements that don't make vex better.

There are a ton of options that work with inquisitor as you level. Vex is what makes AOE builds work and is critical because it prevents death while you get the damage off. Single target early levels the warden HOt or druid pet hot plus sentinel works well. As druid pet then adds damage I preferred it to warden early.

later on inquisitor gets the on demand crit etc...

Cabalist isn't a bad tree it;'s just not nearly as survivable as an inquisitor build as it lacks vex.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Hotfreak View Post
    I recommend NOT starting with Justicar as a secondary. There are serious mana issues early on that will be frustrating for you, especially if you pvp. Edit: this in response to the post that suggested Inq/Justicar. Not sure about the non-Inquisitor builds.

I second the Inq/sentinel/warden build to start. As many points as possible into Inq, 4 points into Warden gets you a knockback and a second heal. 6 points into sentinel gets you a second heal and added survivability.
    Well unless they broke something since the head start launch with Justicars and mana I would disagree. That is the soul that I started with and still use as my solo build and never had issues with mana, than and now /shrug
    "He enjoys life -- as do all who are spared the curse of intelligence." -HP Lovecraft in a 1922 letter to Anne Tillery Renshaw
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." - HP Lovecraft "The Call of Cthulhu"

+ Reply to Thread