+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toughness vs. Focus as Cleric

Rift Chaser

Default Toughness vs. Focus as Cleric

So after healing T1/T2/Raid, I've come to a conclusion...

Why do healers need focus?
    I think I'd rather take toughness in case of 1) adds 2) boss charge 3) accidental cleave 4) any combination of the prior

And in that same respect, why does a caster DPS cleric need focus in PvP? Wouldn't toughness also benefit here?

The only reason I can come up with for focus is if a cleric is DPS in an expert PvE instance (lvl 52+ elite mobs). But then again, I'd say 49/50 of the times I've done PvE instances, I'm a healer spec (especially in 5-mans).

Thoughts?

Champion of Telara

If you only heal, you don't need focus; spell power is better, but most your t1/t2 drops will have focus on them anyway.
    For pvp dps, focus still reduces your resist rates.
    For pvp, you want valor, not toughness which reduces pvp damage by a percentage.
    Do the herpty derp, please, keep LOSing your healers behind objects so you die.

you also need about a minimum of 100 focus to consistently hit mobs in T2 dungeons.
    you will need about 200 focus to hit mobs in greenscale.

one side note: if your focus is TOO high, you won't get parry/dodged thus won't get fated blow procs in shaman spec.
    █▄▄ ███ █▄▄ █▄█▄█ █▄█ ▀█▀

Quote Originally Posted by Baconbits View Post
    If you only heal, you don't need focus; spell power is better, but most your t1/t2 drops will have focus on them anyway.
    For pvp dps, focus still reduces your resist rates.
    For pvp, you want valor, not toughness which reduces pvp damage by a percentage.

Actually not a lot of the T1 does have focus, not sure on the tier 2.

As for the toughness gear i have found its generally lower on the spell power

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

also, Toughness wouldn't save you unless you got Crit, in which case the crit damage is more in line with the regular damage(that's what toughness does) so you'd still probably die in 1-2 hits.. stick with Focus in case you decide to go DPS some day. might as well.
    Faemist - Defiant

Koralium - Warrior [Tank]
    Korial - Cleric [Heal/Tank]

When i realized RIFT had AoE looting. i immediatly pre-ordered the game. The simplest features can be the most impactful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mato View Post
    So after healing T1/T2/Raid, I've come to a conclusion...

Why do healers need focus?
    I think I'd rather take toughness in case of 1) adds 2) boss charge 3) accidental cleave 4) any combination of the prior

And in that same respect, why does a caster DPS cleric need focus in PvP? Wouldn't toughness also benefit here?

The only reason I can come up with for focus is if a cleric is DPS in an expert PvE instance (lvl 52+ elite mobs). But then again, I'd say 49/50 of the times I've done PvE instances, I'm a healer spec (especially in 5-mans).

Thoughts?
    Like others have said, you don't need focus as a healer. From my point of view, it looks like Clerics have two T1 sets ... a dps one and a tanking one. However, you can also fill in certain slots with drops or crafted epics. I don't know how that scales to T2.

I would say, if the gear is allowing you to successfully complete the associated content, then the gear is doing its job. Ideal itemization (min/max) is nice, but the goal isn't the gear. The goal is to get gear that allows you to complete the content.

Lastly, unless someone wants to theorycraft why a caster/healer would need toughness, I'd probably make some negative judgements about a caster wearing anything with toughness on it. That would indicate that someone didn't understand the stat or T1 itemization in general.
    Sticky some #$%#^$# guides so that people stop asking the same question for the 100th time or posting information that is clearly wrong.
    "Death to the dragons!" -
    Defiant NPCs
    "I will do my part, but I have no desire to play the hero" -
    Kira during Unseen Agent quest chain
    "Death is the best interrupt" - Guildie one night when we were doing expert RD
    Saga of the Endless guide: http://www.unseenagent.net/guides/qu...of-the-endless

+ Reply to Thread