+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tips!! Shamans avoid Stormborn..

Default Tips!! Shamans avoid Stormborn..

I have testes Stormborn now.. got 2 equal builds except one got Stormborn and the other got 5 unused points..
    Ok.. im 46 but i doubt the dmg from it will be better at 50 so here goes

So yeah, there is just 3 skills that get anything from this passive (50% increased Air dmg)..
    Lightning Hammer - Strike of the Maelstrom - Jolt
    (Yeah the 51 skill got air too but i cant belive there is anyone wasting 51 points in Shaman.. its not worth it)

Ok both Hammer and Maelstrom get the dmg as dots so i dident expect that much from it but for some reasons it hardly made any diffrence...

Hammer made a 50 dmg ticks without Stormborn and 55 dmg ticks with it..
    ok my maths tells me 50% of 50 dmg is 25
    meaning it should have been 75 ticks not 55 with stormborn.. weird

And Maelstrom is worse..
    without Stormborn the dot ticks for 28 dmg and with it the ticks is 29 dmg..
    lets do this simple and say 50% of 30 dmg kk thats 15 not 1..
    whats wrong with the calculation on that passive skill?

the only skill that works decent is Jolt but that alone isent worth it in my mind.
    i do 230 dmg non crit and 487 dmg crit without Stormborn
    and i do 350 dmg non crit and 730 dmg crit with Stormborn

So yeah that might work correctly
    But is it worth it wasteing 5 points to boost 1 skill that you would first have to crit on to use
    and then crit again to get the best use of it..

So advice to any Shamans out there..
    i do NOT recommend useing valuable points on this close to worthless skill.
    There is alot more nice stuff out there so just look around and ill bet u find something better

If possible i would say change it to be increased dmg with 10% instead then Shamans get more use of it.
    And so far the hardest crit ive done with the shaman build is like 750 or something like that..
    So 10% increased dmg arent that much compared to other Classes dmg / crits

Peace
    Sakura
    PS. Ur free to leave a comment on what dmg u get with it and without it if u want give more data about the skill
    http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/113504/Defiant.png
    Bloodiron EU PvP
    Sakura - Cleric
    Gaara - Mage
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Noobs-A-Fable
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...nderstand-them
    People need to see these links!

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Machowden View Post
    So advice to any Shamans out there..
    i do NOT recommend useing valuable points on this close to worthless skill.
    There is alot more nice stuff out there so just look around and ill bet u find something better

If possible i would say change it to be increased dmg with 10% instead then Shamans get more use of it.
    And so far the hardest crit ive done with the shaman build is like 750 or something like that..
    So 10% increased dmg arent that much compared to other Classes dmg / crits

Peace
    Sakura
    PS. Ur free to leave a comment on what dmg u get with it and without it if u want give more data about the skill
    Using the test realm t2 dungeon gear my jolts were doing 540ish hits on alpha test realm just as a fyi.

The real question is though, if you are going for deep investment in shaman what do you get instead of stormborn? for your 44/11/11 shaman/inq/sent you would probably drop Favored of the Valnir and thick skinned leaving you with only 2 points to shed. Is stormborn really worse than 2 points in dauntless courage or 2 points in eye of the maelstrom for overall dps?

In a 38/18/10 sham/druid/sent build points start becoming more scarce and maybe stormborn is the talent to drop here.

But for a 51 point shaman build there really isn't a possibility in avoiding it so how bad is this talent really? You are basically getting a 10% (instead of 50%) increase in lightning hammer DoT, a 50% increase in Jolt and Vengeance of the Primal North. In order for stormborn to not be worth it in a 44+ point shaman build those 3 things would have to make up less than 4% of your overall damage output for 2/2 in stormborn to be less worth it than dauntless courage.... and i doubt that is the case for any shaman build.

All that being said, this talent should be fixed to work with lightning hammer and eye of the storm properly.
    Last edited by orakio; 03-24-2011 at 12:21 PM.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00n__.ExdxzrsAk
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00n__.Ex0xzrsAk

i wouldent use any more points then this in the Shaman build
    i doubt that you get that much use of Heart of Twilight Forest
    more scared of a Pyro mage then the other stuff :P
    So 44 points to get that arent in my plans..

The shield and better heals on you is helpfull for PvP
    but for PvE grouping then you dont need it that much id say
    (but clerics mostly end up being a healer anyway so :P )

Thanks for the respons
    and yeah they should atleast fix the dmg on the dots

Peace
    Sakura
    Bloodiron EU PvP
    Sakura - Cleric
    Gaara - Mage

So what else are you going to put your points into that will increase your dps? Lots of little numbers add up over time and the damage difference to Jolt is pretty significant. You will generally be able to use Jolt at every cooldown.
    Bokor - Cleric (Warrior Priest)

I am currently 51sham and the noticable difference is massive blow that usually sucks now do somewhat decent compared to earlier. at lvl50 and not much gear to speak of yet MB does 1k crits wich is 250-300 higher than with a hybrid.

Looking at your numbers, for me it looks like this is the problem with Stormborn:
    • It doesn't work with the Eye of the Storm Dot at all. The increase you saw, just happened because Maelstrom Strike has a damage range (84 to 88) and so has the Dot.
    • It only works at the base damage of the Lightning Hammer Dot (61 / 6 = 10.16 take this * 1.5 and you get your 5 damage increase).
    • It works fine with Jolt.
    Last edited by SentinelBorg; 03-25-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Shadowlander

donīt only look at the skills themselves...

Iīve found some essences for example that do air damage..and guess what? yes itīs raised by stormborn.

The Arcane Hand npc sells a nice thingy that does 140ish air damage proc.

On my Inquisitor it procs for roughly 200
    while on my shaman with stormborn it procs for roughly 350

Stormborn increases ALL Air damage, no matter where it comes from.
    Last edited by DeeJayTC; 03-25-2011 at 06:15 AM.

Stormborne is for the Jolt.

In a perfect world, Trion would make Lightning Hammer and Maelstrom DoTs affected by SB.

Even without this though, Jolt remains my 3rd most used ability, and definitely worth the points spent. A fully geared T2 Shaman with some T3 gear and 210% crit will see Jolt hit for ~2K on a crit.
    "The man has had the capacity throughout his career for giving miserable and inexcusable fiasco the semblance of a thrilling victory."
    Kafka the Cleric
    Officer of Nefarious on Rocklift PvE

Telaran

Surely, it needs to be fixed, but atm Stormborn must be taken anyway for the massive jolt boost, that after massive blow is our best source of damage.

Considering that you can push Jolt crits over 1000, it's hard to pass up on Stormborn.

However, it is broken, it's been known for sometime. I've tested it and reported it myself, both in a bug report and in the cleric bug thread I made (which is currently buried, oh well). It's just one of the many half-functional or non-functional talents in Druid & Shaman.

Honestly, if they fixed all the bugs and made a few other tweaks, I think melee clerics would be promoted to adequate.

Offtopic: Ever tried grabbing the red sphere as a Shaman in a warfront? It does silly things to your attack power. Roughly doubles it. The results are comedic with Rage of the North.

Shadowlander

as a 51 shaman, my jolts and massive blows crit between 1100 and almost 1400.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Ray View Post
    Offtopic: Ever tried grabbing the red sphere as a Shaman in a warfront? It does silly things to your attack power. Roughly doubles it. The results are comedic with Rage of the North.
    I run like ive seen the devil himself when i see warriors with wings

I should also point out that if you're not maxing shaman it's a good idea as well. Playing Just/Shaman, if you're not spamming crushing blow, enhancing Jolt is your best option because none of the other stuff really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Ray View Post
    However, it is broken, it's been known for sometime. I've tested it and reported it myself, both in a bug report and in the cleric bug thread I made (which is currently buried, oh well). It's just one of the many half-functional or non-functional talents in Druid & Shaman.

Honestly, if they fixed all the bugs and made a few other tweaks, I think melee clerics would be promoted to adequate.
    Very true and I wish Rift will do something about it since it doesn't look like they are at this moment according to the latest alpha patch notes.
    Last edited by StChoch; 03-25-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixpha View Post
    I am currently 51sham and the noticable difference is massive blow that usually sucks now do somewhat decent compared to earlier. at lvl50 and not much gear to speak of yet MB does 1k crits wich is 250-300 higher than with a hybrid.
    May i ask.
    what does massive blow gotta do with Stormborn?

But anyways.. have u tried to get all 3 increased crit dmg and checked massive blow?
    (if u dident know, yeah they all stack giving 60% more crit dmg)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...ExdxdrsAk.V0xz

U can get 28% more dmg from massive blow and 7% more atk power bonus if u max out to 51

but u get 40% more crit dmg with this
    and additonal crit rate + endurance (tho endu dosent mather that much)
    u get 5% more spell power that gives more atk power.

so id say give it a shot
    (only reason i took 2 points in stormborn is cause there is no need for anything else with this build -_- dammit)

can prolly make it like this if u wanna get stormborn to max tho
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...ExbxtbsAk.V0xz

Anyways
    With this build u get 3 instant dots that will help on the dps
    u get a snare with no cd (ok not the best but it slows them)
    u can remove buffs from the enemy
    u get ranged spam if u dont wanna go up close on someone
    u get a flash heal that is actully really nice with all that increased crit dmg/heal ^^
    gotten 1.7k crit with Healing Breath with my 46 versjon of this build
    and u get the option to ress ppl :P

Peace
    Sakura
    Bloodiron EU PvP
    Sakura - Cleric
    Gaara - Mage

+ Reply to Thread