+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FFXI WHM to Rift Cleric (UI question)

Plane Touched

Default FFXI WHM to Rift Cleric (UI question)

I've seen a lot of complaints about the UI when it comes to healing in Rift. Am I not understanding this difficulty since I never played WoW? I played a WHM in FFXI, but that's a different kind of MMORPG completely. I haven't healed much in LOTRO, but that's my only prior experience with the type of UI Rift utilizes.

Am I not seeing the issue since I'm coming in 'fresh'? Is it because FFXI by nature can be more hectic as healer during major events (not saying Rift doesn't get crazy in some raids)? I don't use any sort of macros right now (though I tried using one for slaughtering squirrels briefly) either.
    My dungeon experiences and builds as a 2h Cleric tank are posted on my blog. All T1 and most T2 expert dungeons complete.

I've also posted the coordinates for all exploration achievements on my website (redesign in the works): http://tehkrizz.net/RIFT/exploration.php

As another former FFXI WHM, I also have no idea what anyone's complaining about.

Shadowlander

A lot of WoW players used healing add-ons that made it easier to tell how hurt someone was and when they needed healing.

Personally I think the worst thing is tracking HoTs with Warden Spec,I dropped mine fast after I tried it. When you just heal it's much simpler and not bad at all.

Rift Disciple

People adapt if there is no choice, and they like the game. The UI isn't terrible at all, and is pretty customizable. You can still set up mouse-over macro's as well.

Although I do agree on the warden hot's, it's very hard to read those stack timers, and I quickly dropped that spec hehe.

Wow and Warhammer gave a lot of flexibility here with player made addon's to make things look just how you prefer. That said, I am glad I don't have to deal with addon's!

Shadowlander

Sometimes healing here is way more hectic than most fights I've healed in FFXI. Only thing that comes close at times is RDM healing on Mamool endless chain merit parties. Not sure why we can't have Crtl+# and/or Shift+# macro lines in Rift, like we did in FFXI, as it'd made things a lot easier. A lot of fights require a lot of mobility, which was different from FFXI where I usually found myself planting somewhere and just cast cast casting away.

Another thing that was helpful in FFXI I thought was <st> (or whatever) where a cursor would spawn on last target party member and you could tab through, although F1-5 keys do virtually the same thing.

I think it's also the nature of the expert engagements as well. I heal as 40something Warden/20ish Sentinel, so keeping track of which HoTs are about to expire, watching for cleanses, avoiding ground damage, watching for emotes and avoiding big damage is far and above the annoyances I encountered in the endgame healing I did in FFXI (Sky/Sea/some HNM/some Aht Urghan crap)
    Caunardhon
    50 Cleric
    Faeblight

Plane Touched

Thanks for all the responses everyone.
    My dungeon experiences and builds as a 2h Cleric tank are posted on my blog. All T1 and most T2 expert dungeons complete.

I've also posted the coordinates for all exploration achievements on my website (redesign in the works): http://tehkrizz.net/RIFT/exploration.php

Quote Originally Posted by Fugubob View Post
    Sometimes healing here is way more hectic than most fights I've healed in FFXI. Only thing that comes close at times is RDM healing on Mamool endless chain merit parties. Not sure why we can't have Crtl+# and/or Shift+# macro lines in Rift, like we did in FFXI, as it'd made things a lot easier. A lot of fights require a lot of mobility, which was different from FFXI where I usually found myself planting somewhere and just cast cast casting away.
    If you sort of want the ALT/SHIFT approach you could always just change the keybinds for the bars to reflect ALT1-ALT+. Its sort of how the FFXI layout was except the bar would be hidden unless you were holding down shift/or Alt. Admittedly doing this tends to cause issues for pet class abilities.

Rift Disciple

The issue is not knowing what to cast when, its knowing when all of your timers are going to run out and on whom. This is especially appropriate to Warden healing. Who needs a SS refresh? Who still has a time? selecting a target, then scanning their buffs, and quickly deciphering who needs what and when is not easy for anyone in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by TehKrizz View Post
    I've seen a lot of complaints about the UI when it comes to healing in Rift. Am I not understanding this difficulty since I never played WoW? I played a WHM in FFXI, but that's a different kind of MMORPG completely. I haven't healed much in LOTRO, but that's my only prior experience with the type of UI Rift utilizes.

Am I not seeing the issue since I'm coming in 'fresh'? Is it because FFXI by nature can be more hectic as healer during major events (not saying Rift doesn't get crazy in some raids)? I don't use any sort of macros right now (though I tried using one for slaughtering squirrels briefly) either.

FF Online combat happens at a snails pace, where you can make a macro for everything and just sit back and press 1 key every 5 seconds, Don't get me wrong I really loved FFXI and i hate what they did with the newest one, but compared to Rift its very slow . For starters I'd like there to be a priority list for MY buffs on people i target (E.g HoTs) and Debuffs, I don't like to compare to WoW but they had it pretty much spot on, Although there seems to be about triple the amount of debuffs/buffs in Rift though so I'm not sure how it works out I'd like an option to blank out all the fluff bits on the action bars too, Prefer just the buttons by themselves.
    Last edited by Herrstarr; 03-24-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Yeah the problem with warden healing is trying to see how many stacks you have up and how much time is left and who the stacks are on easily.

It's a real pain at the moment.

Personally I don't want to even see the spell icon or the party UI - just raid UI please with the ability to set what hots I want to see on my targets and how to display them (no silly spell icon - just numbers and I'll be quite happy).

Heck I could do without proper mouse healing if I could just easily see those ^^
    Last edited by Dreyhana; 03-24-2011 at 12:13 PM.
    If you want to get healed in warfronts, follow the Covenant of Healing:
    1. Stay near your team. Healing spells have a 35m range and you're not the only one who needs healing.
    2. Stay in sight.
    3. Protect your healers.
    4. Be respectful. Telling people they suck will not make them better players or want to help you more.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Herrstarr View Post
    FF Online combat happens at a snails pace, where you can make a macro for everything and just sit back and press 1 key every 5 seconds, Don't get me wrong I really loved FFXI and i hate what they did with the newest one, but compared to Rift its very slow . For starters I'd like there to be a priority list for MY buffs on people i target (E.g HoTs) and Debuffs, I don't like to compare to WoW but they had it pretty much spot on, Although there seems to be about triple the amount of debuffs/buffs in Rift though so I'm not sure how it works out I'd like an option to blank out all the fluff bits on the action bars too, Prefer just the buttons by themselves.
    I was thinking more along the lines of Einherjar and lower numbers in other events. Abyssea is a joke, but I'm not going to go there.

As far as the other responses go, I understand what is being said about buffs/debuffs. Valid concerns.

+ Reply to Thread