+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cleric healer PVP spec

Default cleric healer PVP spec

hi. can anyone recommend a healing pvp spec? is it sentinel/warden or sentinel/purifier? i have tried sentinel/warden and currently trying out sentinel/purifier. i am not so sure what is the better spec. thanks for the help.

From level 1 through 49, I probably only participated in no more than 8 to 10 warfronts.
    Yesterday, I hit level 50, and then spent the rest of the day doing nothing but Tier 1 (Level 50) PvP instances.
    I was a always decent PvP player in Warhammer Online, so I'm not a stranger to the different play methods between PvE and PvP. I figured I'd work it out.

I started out with my normal Inquisitor build with good single target dps and weak heals, and was very frustrated at how poorly I was able to do. Burst damage was king, and my build was pretty weak, compared to what I was getting hit with. I switched to an AoE spec, and did better, but my damage was still a fraction of what my non-Cleric teammates could do.

At that point, I switched to my Sentinel-Warden based "pure healer", and found that it was also pretty terrible in PvP. I had exactly one decent instant heal that I could get off on a teammate, but if I tried a 2 or 3 second cast, I found that Burst Damage was so high in this game that a) you'd never get off a multi-second cast before your ally died, and b) all that waving around shows the enemy that you're a healer.

As soon as any enemy player sees you waving that staff around, you get stun locked for 5-7 seconds, and are dead before you can get the cast off. You can't cast through objects, so you need to stand in view of your allies. Your allies run around like chickens, so, many times, your long heals won't land because your target runs out of range, or behind a tree... and you can't move while you're casting. Not being able to move for a 2 or 3 second cast also makes you a prime target for the enemy's Sab bomb classes.

So, bearing this in mind, I then tried an Inquisitor-Justicar build that heals other players when you do damage. The heals seemed far too weak to compensate for the enemy's burst damage. I still wasn't doing much damage, and even less healing... even though the procs for the whole party did seem to land pretty well in the fast paced world of the warfronts.

So... why am I telling you all this? ...to whine? ...to complain how everyone else should get nerfed?
    Of course not. The reason is to answer your question in the only way I can.
    I haven't found a quality PvP Cleric Healer build that works yet... but I'm still trying

I'm trying to stay focused on the facts.
    You can't stand still and wave your staff around for 2 or 3 seconds... which means you need to be able to keep running while you're casting. This leaves you with instant cast heals, Insta-heal + HoTs, pure HoTs and proc heals. Heals that jump from player to player are also a good idea, if you can get them.

In the near future, I'll be looking at mixing up as many instant cast heals as possible with the Templar class.
    If I find a combo that works, I'll post again. However, I'll say that so far, it seems like Bards and Chloromancers make better PvP healers than any Cleric build that I have seen.
    Last edited by Kaelani; 03-24-2011 at 09:14 AM.

If you are talking about 1-49, I didn't use Templar. I used either Warden or Sent primary, the other secondary with Purifier for spell crit. When I first hit 50 I went Justicar/Sent/Warden. Justicar for surviability and the raid heal/instant self heal wasn't too bad. Warden 10 points to boost instant heal. Sent was the Primary tree. It was nice having a shield, and it not being useless. I did drop Justicar pretty soon after. In PvP Cleric healing can be too slow, Warden takes too long to apply all the HoTs to take advantage of Deluge for my taste.

Touch of Light is also pretty much mandatory, so that's at least 14 in Sent, plus Healing Innvocation takes advantage of Touch of Light, Deluge might be better with full HoTs up though. Either way you don't have time usually to apply 3-6 HoTs on someone.
    Soothing Stream is awesome for survivability and kiting around melee. That's 20 points in Warden.
    Serendipity solves a lot of the issues with heals being too slow, and vastly improves as you get more gear/spell crit.

I am prestige 5 now and I've dropped out of Warden and gone:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...xxbz.e0E0bszsR

At prestige 3:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...bkozM.e0E0bszc

The main point is to get Soothing Stream/Blessing of Martyr, and Serendipity. I am aware Tidal Resonance and Serendipity are bugged, but they do apply often enough. Pay attention to when you get Serendipity, you'll find yourself with some instant casts after being stunned, make sure you use Healing Invocation for that.

I know some people prefer Warden, but every time I try to force myself to give it a shot going deeper in the tree, I just miss things I had from Sentinel. In WFs you'll often find yourself the only healer/the others are just bad, the raid healing potential with both specs is absurd. You'll have to drink often, but usually I find time during breaks. Which honestly you'll have to do with any spec you play.

I am currently messing around with this spec when I'm not being focused, and it's a lot of fun, Healing Breath (With talent) + Creeping Remedy is absurd:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...xxbz.e0E0bszsR

I do like making myself getting used to being 21 points into Templar, instead of being used to having more points in the other trees. I also have tried Purifier, but I found it lacking. They aren't enough like WoW Disc Priests: shield cool downs being too long, no Penance, and the end tier talent is dumb for pvp. You shouldn't have a talent that encourages overhealing.

Too bad we don't get a talent point for each prestige level, only usable in the pvp tree, I miss Soothing Stream.
    Last edited by Emrys21; 03-24-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Rift Lotham - Emrys <Liam Neeson>
    WoW Darkspear/Lightninghoof - Ascencia/Chob/Elysion/Muninn <Cadia>
    AoC Cimmeria - Oontz/Elysion <Cadia>
    Aion Lumiel/Israphel - Nicci/Kalachnikov/Conduit <Cadia>

Rift Disciple

^^ Good summary.

Healing in PvP is beyond frustrating. Go ahead and look through the Cleric forums. 50% of the people can't agree on a good spec and the other half go DPS.

Warden is cool because You get anti snare/ root. You get a nice spell reflect. You will also be able to CAST heals ! However, you will need to stack them hard! Otherwise your target will fall to FF.

Sent/ Pur just take to long to cast spells that actually heal for a PUG. These are great in a pre-made where you are protected.

Clerics are in an odd spot at the moment. Sometimes we feel good, most of the time we just a speed bump.

Telaran

I hate Warden in this UI. It is a headache to me to track the hots, and in PVP if someone gets swapped too without hots it will be an uphill battle. Anyways the UI and my personal preference is neither here nor there.

This is a build I've planned in my head with 1.1 in mind. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...g00stco.xx0R0b

20/31/15
    Jusitcar/Sentinel/Templar

I dropped the battle res on Sentinel for 3% less incoming damage. Personal taste, I don't find it that useful in instanced PVP nor do I like relying on my teammates dieing to get use of an ability.

Shield of Faith 10% less damage reduction than Ethereal Shell but it is passive constantly. I'm also a big fan of Mein of Leadership -- turning that on can buy you some time for a dps to peel back, sometimes it is easier to press it than cast a heal, and after the pressure is over and you want to heal just click it off.

It is quite easy to build convictions too, three cooldown "bolt" spells and a spammable instant cast dot. Purpose can be awesome too I've gotten nearly my full bar back using it in my Inquis spec(which I'm basing this whole spec off). Although I would argue versus most good/intelligent players you won't get much mileage out of Purpose.

This is all based off an Inquis/Just/Templar spec I'm using right now. 1v1/world pvp it is really really strong. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...0x.vxkixxzqz.x . In warfronts you don't have the burst of other dps classes, but you have incredible support and utility and are a bit tanky when focused. Once again apply the leadership tactic until you get a Bewilder or Trepedation off, go back to Honor nearly full heal with your x4 convictions.

Champion of Telara

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...bzouM.E0Vhfs0c

this is my current one. mostly use hot and breath for serendipity procs, and use serendipity to cast HI, current or healing communions. always try to tidal surge my divine call when I use it, tho can help with a HI as well.
    Do the herpty derp, please, keep LOSing your healers behind objects so you die.

Puri/Warden
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...czz0z.xEbtozRo

All instants and preemption healing. Occasionally I'll sneak in a big heal for the shield and spill over.

Soulwalker

Default Warden is awesome

I pvp as a healing cleric, focusing on warden, and either of the other 2 are viable, I have lots of experience in the 20-29 bracket healing as a cleric, and my over all experience has been very good. I find that I have good survivability, and I'm able to keep most of my party members up with hots, my BIGGEST problem is mana regen, but after reading these other posts I had to reply, because I honestly feel that my cleric heals rather well, I'm usually topping healing charts in black garden, ranging from 35k to the highest being 60k total heals.

I would also recommend warden because it is insane fun for world pvp, I love kiting defiant to a cliff, and using my knock back to throw them off the cliff.. I wish i could provide more details, such as a spec, but honestly ...Warden Cleric is fun man...you focus on instant cast healing, you will have tons of fun

My cleric is Nael @ ashetone shard ..good luck, and enjoy your cleric!

Shadowlander

Warden/Sentinal/Cabalist

At level 38, this is my heavy-healing PVP spec.

At first I left the Cabalist stuff out. I mean, warfronts always need more healing, not more DPS, right? Well, not always. Sometimes I find we had too little DPS. Or more importantly, too little AE DPS. When a ton of mages are standing on the cliff overlooking the codex causing hurt, sometimes the best thing to do is hurt them back. And the beauty of AEs is that you only need line of sight on one of them to hit them all.

At the moment I prefer to run sent/ward/temp at the moment, and usually in guild we have 3 clerics and one prefers sent/puri which is good as we compliment each other.

As I get more templar points will have to choose one or the other.

I love the AOE warden spell (forget name) and ripple on a hotted target is win... orbs of the stream is also decent (imo)

HI is almost useless without serendipity, healing breath is nice and the instant aoe with a FOL can be nice to (although I save that for OHSHI tol/tidal/instant heal)
    Infanta
    Hello Kitty
    60 rogue, mage, cleric and working on a worrior

at 48, i am trying 32/32 puri/sent. its ok, not great. i got the crits and bigheals. it lacks defense as it doesnt even have a knockback. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...tzRz.x0Ehfczco

All right. I was on here yesterday, and let you know that I hadn't found a viable PvP healing build for a Cleric at level 50. Last night, I actually found I was doing reasonably well with one.

You still won't be any less squishy.
    I haven't found a survivable Cleric build at level 50, period.

If you try to DPS or Heal, it doesn't matter.
    Stun, and Dead before it wears off.
    Stun, (Break Stun), Stunned again, and Dead before it wears off.
    Stun, (Break Stun), Slowed, and Dead within 3 or 4 seconds.

There's no way you can generate enough heals fast enough or prolonged enough to withstand any attack.
    Instants don't do enough healing, and you'll never get a 3 second cast off before you're dead.
    Even tanks can kill you, which should never happen in the Rock-Scissors-Paper model of Tank-DPS-Healer.
    I eventually wound up giving up on my Inquisitor builds in Warfronts, entirely.

I realized that anyone just standing there, casting spells, dies quickly.
    So the best camouflage is to be running around like every other fool in there.
    The enemy figures you're a tank or DPS, and leaves you alone.

I used a Warden-Sentinel-Cabalist build which focuses on every insta-heal that can be cast on the move.
    Instants, Instant+HoT, HoT, and Proc'ced heals.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...0p.EoE00sx.VtV

I target some active player, and play pocket healer, running around and jumping like a fool.
    All the while, I'm stacking Soothing Stream on him. (Warden:20)
    I use Healing Breath (Sentinel:1) as a big instant, and have Enraptured Breath's proc turn that into a 3 person heal.

I also use Touch The Light (Sentinel:14) just before Healing Invocation (Sentinel:15), which makes it a big instant save. By having 5 points in Lasting Invocation (Sentinel:20), you get even more HoT healing out of it.

Doing this in Tier 1 yesterday, I was the number 1 healer in most of the matches.
    The only times I was outhealed (that I saw) was by Bards or Chloromancers.
    Because you're "hidden in plain sight", you are in the heat of the action, and get full favor.
    The fact that your side actually has a healer means that you might even win a match from time to time.
    (The pug groups in our server group are pretty awful, and their premades roll us most matches.)

From time to time, you may want to help DPS a bit, and using the two channeled spells, Shards of Light (Sentinel:11), and Distorted Shadows (Cabalist:2) will help burn down an enemy in distress. I also like to keep Dissolution (Warden:10) handy to break out of one stun, and use Grasping Waters (Cabalist:12) to root an enemy for 5 seconds. Most of the targets break free immediately, but if they don't your teammates will burn them down for you.

You may call me a baddie newb who needs to L2P. However, this build is the only way I've found to keep me from punching a hole in my monitor as a Cleric in PvP. I think it's a good training build to learn the maps and the strategies of the warfront maps.

I'll keep you updated, if I change my build.

Soulwalker

Sentinel to 20
    Justicar to 38 (for Just Defense shield)
    Couple points in Templar

Gives you group heals, single target heals, shields for you and others, Reprieve, ranged stuns and roots, passive dmg mitigation, etc...

with this you can heal a group and even a single player to some extent, you have cc to protect yourself and others, you have shields for the same purpose ,and you can generally live long enough to get out of stuns etc...especially with break free's CD going down soon.

now...if your team sucks and you're alone vs 5 enemies, eventually you will go down, but thats a given.

you can top healing with this, and honestly be near the top of dmg taken also haha...
    Last edited by Elindor; 03-25-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Champion of Telara

Cleric feels pretty unplayable for me as anything other than Sent/Temp/Warden
    Dancer/Yeah of Briarcliff

Shadowlander

i am prestige rank 3 with warden,sent, templar build

I have found that i can keep up 1 person decently against a few opponents with hots and a few 2 sec heals. The raid is hella easy to keep up with the sent raid heal, ripple ( best aoe healing ability you have), healing stream and soothing stream. Usually most of the raid stays alive until you run out of mana and then gg!

btw restorative tide is garbage, a huge 12 sec heal of what, 300 at best? pass on that real quick.

I build a more sent based and i found that i could heal for a lot less over time because of the ridiculous mana cost of healing communion. Also healing 1 person with no soothing stream, was pretty brutal cause other then healing breath, the fast heals of sent are garbage.

Honestly, it really comes down to either warden or sent and your play style. Purifier is getting hit in the balls with a nerf so those are your two best bets. Mixed a warden/sent either way you want and get templar on the left side of the trees ( because 5 magic resistance is to much a of a garbage stat to even look further up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast