+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Very concerned about AE passive healing changes

Default Very concerned about AE passive healing changes

While I think there was some balancing needed with the insane amount of passive ae healing going around both in pve and pvp, I am very concerned about the current patch notes.

I tried to understand what Trion is planning and what merited the changes. Before seeing the latest officially posted alpha notes I was under the assumption that cleric mana management will be adjusted in one way or another and the AE heals will be balanced for more mana efficiency.

It seems that Trion wanted more active decisions for ae healing but clerics being the only one who can actively ae bust heal we are not going to be of much use in raids trying to pickup the lost AE healing power.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see how a cleric who goes OOM within a few minutes of having to AE heal is going to be more interesting to a raid then several bards or mages who have much better mana efficiency and/or management tools.

On the other hand. Maybe they wanted to make sure that Archons are getting their places in raids for buffs and mana feeding. I would still think taking multiple Chloros (despite their healing adjustments) is going to be a better strategy.

I am not whining, just writing down some initial thoughts about the patch. I'll play on Alpha a bit to see how it plays out. I just hope I am wrong (which might very well be the case)
    Last edited by Sheilina; 03-23-2011 at 11:37 PM.
    Kandra, DawN's Level 50 Defiant Nurse in Chain (Blightweald)
    Master Runecrafter / Master Outfitter / Master Butcher

Quote Originally Posted by Sheilina View Post
    While I think there was some balancing needed with the insane amount of passive ae healing going around both in pve and pvp, I am very concerned about the current patch notes.

I tried to understand what Trion is planning and what merited the changes. Before seeing the latest officially posted alpha notes I was under the assumption that cleric mana management will be adjusted in one way or another and the AE heals will be balanced for more mana efficiency.

It seems that Trion wanted more active decisions for ae healing but clerics being the only one who can actively ae bust heal we are not going to be of much use in raids trying to pickup the lost AE healing power.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see how a cleric who goes OOM within a few minutes of having to AE heal is going to be more interesting to a raid then several bards or mages who have much better mana efficiency and/or management tools.

On the other hand. Maybe they wanted to make sure that Archons are getting their places in raids for buffs and mana feeding. I would still think taking multiple Chloros (despite their healing adjustments) is going to be a better strategy.

I am not whining, just writing down some initial thoughts about the patch. I'll play on Alpha a bit to see how it plays out. I just hope I am wrong (which might very well be the case)
    Considering a raid is 20 man, you shouldn't have a problem giving certain healers specialities. This means get a full warden for AoE healing. They're good at mana regen and have really nice AoE heals. Remember the crucial change to group healing in Rift from WoW was the fact all group heals are now AoE, so you could have one healer completely focus on group healing. This was not possible in WoW.

Anyway wouldn't it be boring if everyone went pur/sent ;)
    Last edited by Refuge; 03-23-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Considering a raid is 20 man, you shouldn't have a problem giving certain healers specialities. This means get a full warden for AoE healing. They're good at mana regen and have really nice AoE heals. Remember the crucial change to group healing in Rift from WoW was the fact all group heals are now AoE, so you could have one healer completely focus on group healing. This was not possible in WoW.

Anyway wouldn't it be boring if everyone went pur/sent ;)
    Good point, I guess you have to min max 51pt builds much more in raids now which also means that Wardens will be the only mana efficient AE healers for raids.
    Still if you have ae burst incoming I don't think a cleric can keep up with that for longer then a few minutes.

So you will have full Puri's for MT protection, full Sents to cover any burst both on mt and off targets and wardens for ae coverage.

I still wonder if the mana management is going to be ok.
    Last edited by Sheilina; 03-23-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post

Wouldn't it be boring if everyone went pur/sent ;)
    A lot of the heals in wow are currently not group limited, they simply heal whoever has the least hp in the raid, just like they do in rift. The problem is just like in wow, some classes are terrible at AE healing efficiently while others are very good.

Sadly, that's basically everything but warden for clerics, and even warden is kinda meh. And your last comment is ironic since after the patch to beat Greenscale/Hylas, the only viable healing group is probably gonna look something like 2bards, 2-4chloros, 2-4wardens(total 6healers between chloros/wardens so like 3/3 or 2/4). No purifier, no sentinel. Probably 3/3 would be the best split, so you get 3combat rez from chloros. Currently, we bring a purifier, a warden and 2puri/sent as well as 2chloros. A lot more varied ^^.

All it'd take is to fix the damn cleric mana issues by adding mana management tools. Mana is a stupid concept to begin with, but it's reinforced when you have an entire calling that NEVER runs out of mana, and another that runs out of mana ALL THE TIME on 5/8 souls(melee souls are fine). And then you give the innefficient spells to the calling that runs out of mana. Sup logic.

Good point, I guess you have to min max 51pt builds much more in raids now which also means that Wardens will be the only mana efficient AE healers for raids.

So you will have full Puri's for MT protection, full Sents to cover any burst both on mt and off targets and wardens for ae coverage.

I still wonder if the mana management is going to be ok.
    yep, sounds like an interesting prospect which I'm looking forward to. It gives different souls more meaning now as none of them have their own major group buffs. Wardens are back in the game

I myself am actually very tempted to use this spec:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00dej.Vxk.EEdtqtRqz

and get the rest of the healers to go pur/sent and chloro healers.

Might seem like a pretty crazy spec, but purge is a rare find in groups, you get an extra mana regen ability, which is pretty strong (probably better than cascade depending on gear), immunity to fear buff and absolutely intensive HoTs.

Losing the inquisitor talents and putting them in the sentinel tree will only improve heals slightly. Light concentration would probably be on par with the Agressive Renewal, if not worse.
    Last edited by Refuge; 03-23-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyros View Post

All it'd take is to fix the damn cleric mana issues by adding mana management tools. Mana is a stupid concept to begin with, but it's reinforced when you have an entire calling that NEVER runs out of mana, and another that runs out of mana ALL THE TIME on 5/8 souls(melee souls are fine). And then you give the innefficient spells to the calling that runs out of mana. Sup logic.
    That is my main concern too with the changes. While I don't like hyperboles the mana management issues between mages and cleric is really glaring. I am talking from experience since I played both Chloro and Cleric

Plane Touched

That is my main concern too with the changes. While I don't like hyperboles the mana management issues between mages and cleric is really glaring. I am talking from experience since I played both Chloro and Cleric
    Yeah I remember your sig/avatar from alpha, and I also speak from experience since I played a mage for most of alpha, and a lot of it as chloro. To add insult to injury just before launch they gave chloros a 60%mana regen buff on a 2mins cooldown even though they already had empathy thingie and could grab more from any of the 7 other mage souls(well not stormcaller cause they removed that one). At the same time as a cleric, you basically have no or poor options. That 11pt inquis is nice, but in raids with 0(or maybe 50ish) focus, you're gonna have a 30-40% chance to get it resisted, so it doesn't help much there. Plus it's channeling, which means you're not healing for the whole duration, but I could live with that. Plus it's 950mana every 2mins, I mean seriously.

I'd totally embrace the change to clerics being responsible of AE healing by actually casting spells, if it was doable efficiently. Wardens aren't terrible I guess but it's still not super efficient.

Hmm, didn't think the nerf would hurt pur/sent that badly. Anyway when I played wow, all group heals were very much only the party, so a group lacking a healer would need extra care. Maybe it's changed a lot since I played it.

Anyway ye, regen abilities are completely lacking. Especially if healing rotations arn't exactly viable. I think if any soul deserved it; purifers should definitly get the equilavent to innervate. And don't even mention PvP mana drains -.-
    Last edited by Refuge; 03-24-2011 at 01:12 AM.

+ Reply to Thread