+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleric leveling help

Soulwalker

Default Cleric leveling help

I am level 16 and I am having trouble making a build that is a good for dps. I had a build that i could stay alive because i could heal and kill stuff but killed really slow. Could someone give me a build to follow as a lvl 16 then give me a end build it should look like also. I never played cleric before. I am level 37 ranger.

AoE or single dps. Either works for me.

Thank you. And dont post saying there is plenty of topic look through them because i have spent about a hour looking and reading topics. Nothing seemed to work decent for lvl 16

Rift Chaser

melee, full sham with touch of druid or justi...caster, full inq with either justi/sent...sent/ward...cab/sent...etc etc...

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...leveling+build

scroll down...there's a bunch of lvl'ing builds
    Last edited by Aggrosamurai; 03-23-2011 at 09:58 PM.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00edj.q.VekbMt0o.0M

I've leveled three clerics on different shards now (friends keep moving _-_) and I find this to be the best way to go about it.

Shaman/Druid are strong contenders, but they are both lack-luster until you get near thirty and beyond. Shaman, with all their reactives, have good good damage and decent staying power, and 31pt shaman is pretty good too. However, Inq is the best leveling soul you have, hands down.

You want to focus on crit and AoE via soul drain. Warden gives you a free hot, increased insta-cast damage (more vex damage, more healing), a nice knock-back spell, all for cheap! Sentinel, early on, you only need that slow (not necessary, but makes kiting easy). Then you want to get walk in the light and luminous gaze with your left over points up till 31, then keep going into Inq or branch out, your choice.

You get +40% crit damage, Vex and Sanction Heretic get +60% damage, Soul Drain with Fanatacism will give you easy aoe farming, and then at 31 silly easy with your circle of oblivion for clean up.

Work a solo creep over like this.

1) Light Bolt
    2) Sanction Heretic
    3) Impede
    4) Vex
    5) Life's Veng
    6) Water Jet

All instant cast except your opener, you put two slows on the mob, and as long as you can strafe away from them diagonally and push your buttons, you can kite anything and take almost or no damage. Efficient, quick, and easy. I have two macros for this, one is:

Dots
    #show Sanction Heretic
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Sanction Heretic
    cast Impede
    cast Vex

Single Instant
    #show Life's Vengeance
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Life's Vengeance
    cast Water Jet

Impede has that 1 second cooldown, which is a saving grace, because it will cast really quickly, and you can get vex off in the same macro right before impede is off cooldown. Start running and push your second macro, mob dies, gg.

It is your choice whether or not to start with light bolt for the slow or depravity bolt for big deeps, your choice. Depends on the mob. Ranged stuff always depravity, for obvious reasons.

For aoe, collect minimum of three mobs with vex (you get a lot of healing from this, and with your free hot and insta heal from warden/sent you will be topped off easy) then cast fanaticism, then soul drain, they are all almost dead, clean up. If you have four or five or six, they are probably dead.

You can make a macro for fanaticism/soul drain/CoO to make it even easier.

Inq leveling is less mind numbing than shamen (hold a single macro key, no joke) and extremely safe and efficient, with the best AoE farming you will get. You could tank five as justi but well, it'll take years to level.

Good luck.

Nice thing about focusing on crit is your dots chance crit on each tick, so you get a lot of crits from them, and the guaranteed crit with soul drain is enormous! You'll be shocked the first time you try it. Plus your two magic damage debuffs (soul drain and spiritual deficiency) are just icing on the cake. SD is best used for single mobs while you kite, but it really isn't necessary, best uses is in dungeons really. Plus when vex crits you get more healing, yay!

You could spec into that chance to insta cast Depravity, but you have no pushback reduction skill, so spamming BoJ is stupid. Water jet is a free instacast with great damage you use to kite. Really warden and sent are perfect for a leveling inq. Just....perfect.
    Vae Victis

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by sanman View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00edj.q.VekbMt0o.0M

Dots
    #show Sanction Heretic
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Sanction Heretic
    cast Impede
    cast Vex
    Don't like this one, especially when you get higher level (than 16). It looks like single target macro, which doesn't fit with Inq.
    After getting the Soul Drain, you want to apply Vex on multiple targets, the impede doesn't make sense.

Until you hit level 31, I wouldn't recommend the whole Inq AoE killing approach because while Soul Drain is good, without Circle of Oblivion you're still going to be trying to finish them off with single target attacks, especially if you don't have Fanaticism.

You might want to try more emphasis on the Inq single target attacks until that point. So for level 16, something like:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00odG.V0z.eV0b

That will get you a nice spammable Bolt of Judgment, the healing component to Vex, the free bubble from Purifier, as well as Decay + Obliterate which is a nice damage boost every 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by jt-brako View Post
    Don't like this one, especially when you get higher level (than 16). It looks like single target macro, which doesn't fit with Inq.
    After getting the Soul Drain, you want to apply Vex on multiple targets, the impede doesn't make sense.
    I'm guessing you didn't read my entire post and just noticed the marcos.

That macro was a suggestion (I'm using it right now to level my 14 cleric....) for killing single mobs via lite kiting. Two slows and backpedaling with instant cast spells means the mob dies before it reaches you, less than one vex duration.

Until you get to 26, SD farming is more tedious and less efficient and safe than nuking a single mob down every ten seconds. Once you get to 26 and up, SD all the way, I agree, but it is just as efficient or more efficient and safer/easier to go single target/kite/nuke for the early levels and early 20s, and he was having trouble, so I gave him tips on the safer and easier route to 26.
    Vae Victis

Champion

Well, you're definitely want to go with AOE leveling around level 16. You've got 2 choices: melee or caster, but both are easily accomplished.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00edo..xxod.x0M - I'm no caster, but this is the build my gf uses on her cleric, and she AOEs with no problem. She's level 16, and this is her first MMO ever. Just vex pull 3 or 4 (3 is probably better at the lower level), Soul Drain then Bound Fate, then Shadow's Touch. That should be all it takes at your level to knock them down. If that's not enough, re-vex (so you live) then another Soul Drain.

You also have the option of single targetting 1 mob to build up Lurking Decay Charges with Decay, and then taking Obliterate with you to your next AOE pull as your finisher. I personally like having Tyranny with my Soul Drain (requires 10 pts, looks like http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00edo..xxod.x0V), but then after that, i feel it's moot to argue over Inq or Cab for where you should spend your points while you're leveling. For AOE leveling, both have their pluses and minuses and net similar results.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00ear..Va0V.xz OR http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00enr..y0zx.xz OR (if you feel you can handle your healing without Justicar, which is easily doable) http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00ena..y0zx.Vo - Melee AOE, while a little slower than caster, will also net you very fast exp as well. It's pretty simple, use your Waterjet to pull your mobs, then just start mashing the AOE attack. Then use Healing Spray, shields and whatever heals at your disposal to keep yourself alive. Shaman/Druid is going to be faster than either build featuring justicar, but you will have to more actively maintain your health than what you would with a justicar build.

Either of those 2 styles will level you quickly, and only clerics can do them. Single target will level you too, but it will be about half as fast. AOE whenever feasible.

Champion of Telara

1 button macro win mode with shaman/0 point sentinel and whatever secondary (justi, inq, druid, they all work) till ~31, then switch to inq/warden/0 sentinel for ez-mode aoe grinding.
    Do the herpty derp, please, keep LOSing your healers behind objects so you die.

Shadowlander

I just hit 48 and kind of running out of quests. Been to all the hubs I can find and a bit dry on green circles. Thinking about trying some AOE action. Any tips on some good spots?

Plane Touched

To the OP, I'm a fan of Warden/Sentinel/Druid at the lower levels. Water Jet is the primary spell I used until my Justicar build became viable 23 for me (though I put together an untested build that could work at 18). Decent damage for instant cast without any points needed in Warden.

Quote Originally Posted by Varghoss View Post
    I just hit 48 and kind of running out of quests. Been to all the hubs I can find and a bit dry on green circles. Thinking about trying some AOE action. Any tips on some good spots?
    It does seem to have slowed down at 48. Running AP and CC a couple times will help.
    My dungeon experiences and builds as a 2h Cleric tank are posted on my blog. All T1 and most T2 expert dungeons complete.

I've also posted the coordinates for all exploration achievements on my website (redesign in the works): http://tehkrizz.net/RIFT/exploration.php

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Varghoss View Post
    I just aoe'd stuff in that castle area in the southern part of stillmoor or in the town nearby it. typical pulls were 1 caster which i'd stand ontop of and pull 3 melee mobs from surrounding area and aoe them down. the skeleton things have half hp and only give about 30% less xp, goes pretty quick.

AP will give you about 40-50% of a level's xp per run though.
    Last edited by Baconbits; 03-24-2011 at 08:47 AM.
    Do the herpty derp, please, keep LOSing your healers behind objects so you die.

Shadowlander

Did you go melee or caster?

Concerning Inq AE-Leveling... don't you run out of mana extremely fast? I mean, Circle of Oblivion suffers greatly from pushback thru damage, doesn't it? So you need to cast it several times and it's very manaintensive. The only Inq Spell that gives back mana has a 2 min CD and the returned amount is mediocre. How do you manage this? Since with lots of downtimes you can't really call it fast process, can you?
    Thanks in advance.
    Truth is a curious and pretty rare phenomenon. In the bathtub of history it resembles a slippery piece of soap that is difficult to hold on to... if you find it at all.

+ Reply to Thread