+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleric even viable in PvP unless they heal?

Default Cleric even viable in PvP unless they heal?

One thing I love about this game, is they offer you 4 different slots to make different builds. I would like to turn one of my specs into a PvP spec, but im not really interested in PvP healing.

Ive looked at all of the DPS specs for Cleric, and I really liked how Shaman and Druid looked, but ilve heard that melee is horrible in PvP (unless you're a Warrior). After looking at Cabalist and Inquis, Inquis seemed to be the only one that could do the job, but of course it's still nothing compaired to some of the other caster classes availible.

So back to the topic question. Are Clerics even viable in PvP unless they're healing?

Shadowlander

Default no

no

inquisitor has no viable burst 1 heal for your 10 spells out heals you.
    cabalist does pitiful dmg
    ranged dps dies in one sneeze
    melee dps is avg at best

not much going for non healing spec pvp atm

Champion of Telara Leggomyeggolas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lamenterm View Post
    no

melee dps is avg at best

shaman is great 1v1 for about 15 seconds out of every 2 minutes or so! =)

Shadowlander

Shaman is indeed great for PvP, but its quite a L2P thing, and its just not good 1v1, I've taken on 2-3 people and killed atleast 2 of em before getting overrun. It works, its just a bit of practise

RIFT Fan Site Operator Mattdoommaster's Avatar

Shaman and Druid are both okay in a group. Druid is okay 1v1, but Shaman usually isn't, unless you get the jump on someone squishy.

Inquisitor kicks ***. You're constantly being healed by your Vexs, you can knock people away from you, you can snare them, you can destroy people with AOE if they're dumb enough to clump together, and while your single-target DPS is not that good you can win many fights on the virtue of the fact that you can heal and most other DPSers can't heal themselves at all.

Cabalist is not entirely hopeless, but requires a lot of creativity just to be a good as an average Inquisitor.

Want to know more about Clerics? Check out Rift Clerics . NET

Shadowlander

a pure shaman wont do much no, but with the real combo you can do amazingly well :P

Im thinking im just going to go OP-mode, grit my teeth, and go Purifier/Sent. Atleast I wont die.

Rift Chaser

I hate to say this as a Cleric... I really really do, but if you're not healing you are doing something wrong.

This is NO WAY means you can't be doing other things as well. I just don't believe a cleric that never heals is being a good cleric in PvP.

That being said at 50 I can easily output 90k+ healing, only about 30% is self-healing unless I get focused a lot, and I run with most of my points in Inquisitor and Justicar. Doctrine of Loyalty is an extremely useful skill in PvP and doesn't take a whole lot of effort to use or even need to take a lot away from your dps.

Over all I think in PvP the cleric is better off as a hybrid rather than min/maxing and it has served me incredibly well. 1v1 my hybrid will kick your ***... eventually... in a group situation I always have something to do that's useful, sometimes a suicide run in to a mob for a AoE fear or a Fanaticism + Soul Drain IS the best thing to do. Other times it's hang back spamming instants and DoL to keep your group up and smashing.

P.S. this is all MY opinion and will likely get flammed in to the ground.

Can clerics viably dps? Sure. Are they as good as other classes? No. I know there are clerics out there who will try to debate this, but having played the other classes at 30+ in PvP I know that the difference in not just damage, but also utility, is staggering. Sure, I've seen clerics on a couple occasions do 300k+ damage in Scion as a Cabalist, but like a Reaver you're just spreading DoTs around that will easily be eaten up by some bard's Cadence.

The common misconception is that we're OP, but most of the people saying this are low level. Clerics are powerhouses before thirty, but our heals don't scale well and while other classes are getting nifty tricks we're getting shafted with underpowered DPS skills or more heals that are really more useful in pve than anything.
    Showtime, P50 Guardian Warrior
    Showdown, P50 Guardian Cleric
    Risette, P50 Defiant Warrior
    Lurie, P50 Defiant Cleric
    11/11 HK, 3/8 ID ~ Where do I find the time?

Shadowlander

L2P and get out of the WoW mold, Sure I might not to 90k dmg, but I burst them down when it matters. I have more kills and favor than anyone.

I held fang for 350 points earlier today. Seriously, clerics only as healers? Yes because people wont even try to do anything else with em.

Tunnel Vision is the main enemy, My guild plays with me, they've seen me PvP, tank, heal, dps, they know I can do it all, and be good at it.

I've seen countless builds posted, and none of them are thinking right, to stuck in the box so to speak.

Utility? Self heals, CC break with PvP soul, charge, perm 50% slow on melee, dmg shields, sleep? Silence?

LEARN TO FREAKING PLAY!.

End of story.
    Last edited by NecroticBanshee; 03-23-2011 at 10:46 PM.

snc
    Rift Disciple

playing a dps cleric in pvp is worse than playing a rogue which is saying a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamenterm View Post
    no

melee dps is avg at best

Don't listen to the guy above, he doesn't know what he is saynig. Inquisitors can be monsters in PvP and I prove it every night in level 50 WFs. You obviously don't spec the same way that you would for PvE nor do you use the same playstyle. It's very easy to make a survivable build that dishes out good damage. Champions can not beat me in duels. In fact my only real problems are the mana drainers and pyro mages which are ridiculously broken at the moment.

Hell, for fun I even made a very good shaman PvP build last night that while not quite as good as my inquisitor he was still tough as nails and had no problems killing anything. You naysayers need to actually spend some time developing good PvP builds. This means understanding the other classes and knowing what you are likely to be fighting against.
    Last edited by kidbs; 03-24-2011 at 06:43 AM.
    Bokor - Cleric (Warrior Priest)

Quote Originally Posted by kidbs View Post
    Don't listen to the guy above, he doesn't know what he is saynig. Inquisitors can be monsters in PvP and I prove it every night in level 50 WFs. You obviously don't spec the same way that you would for PvE nor do you use the same playstyle. It's very easy to make a survivable build that dishes out good damage. Champions can not beat me in duels. In fact my only real problems are the mana drainers and pyro mages which are ridiculously broken at the moment.

Hell, for fun I even made a very good shaman PvP build last night that while not quite as good as my inquisitor he was still tough as nails and had no problems killing anything. You naysayers need to actually spend some time developing good PvP builds. This means understanding the other classes and knowing what you are likely to be fighting against.

Can you link it up?

I level'd up pure melee and in BG's its very lonely at the front of the line dying. I specced into a casting role last night after looking around here. I need to figure it out, it's so diverse.

I didn't seem to have anything that would allow me to flee when I got melee on me. Do I need some Cab?

Champion of Telara

inquisitor and cabalist have their place, shaman is a one trick pony with ROTN, druid is like shaman except they have sleep, root, and heal debuff if they go high enough.

Cabalist really only works in premades though, and typically unless you know you already have healing, clerics are *usually* better off just healing.

however... cab with maelstrom + stormcaller + pyro + 2 healers = winsauce.
    Do the herpty derp, please, keep LOSing your healers behind objects so you die.

Rift Disciple

Cleric dps in PvP (atleast as Caster) is very viable, people telling you otherwise just needs to learn to play, some spells needs to be looked at and needs some tweaks, but overall it's a very good PvP class.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast