+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleric tanking threat issues

Soulwalker

Default Cleric tanking threat issues

I seem to tank just fine in regards to survivability, but when it comes to pulls of 3-4 mobs I just can't seem to keep aggro on them all. I don't see any way other than just spamming Even Justice and using Righteous Imperative once a minute. I use http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...RsqeekRR.x.Lcd

that's actually all I do when there's multiple mobs, Mien of Leadership, then spam Even Justice over and over and over..........and over and over...................and over again

Pop Bolt of Radiance on any that get away.
    Main Character: Chranos - Cleric, Shatterbone

Try weaving in a Doctrine of Loyalty after every other Even Justice. You'll find that your AoE aggro issues just disappear! 4 mobs? Cake. 6 mobs? Easy. 20 mobs?!?!?! No sweat! With DoL, all your aggro problems just melt away! Try it today!
    Jolly fat people are living proof that it is not possible to "laugh your *** off", though we're trying...

Ascendant

^ Pretty much that for me, I use EJ and Doctrine of Loyalty group heal and see almost 0 problems holding on multiple mobs.

Soulwalker

With that build you have access to even justice for you spam AoE hit, Plus DoA every 15 seconds, plus Righteous Imperative for AoE aggro. Plus Leadership.

And I hate to break it to you, but if you AREN'T using your threat generating abilities liberally, you will not hold aggro for that long. You can't just use Precept if you have a shield and expect it plus salvation to hold threat.

Soulwalker

Does overheal generate threat? Does damage generate threat with the same coefficient as heals? I.e. 4 damage = 4 threat, 4 healed = 4 threat?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by SisterSalvation View Post
    With that build you have access to even justice for you spam AoE hit, Plus DoA every 15 seconds, plus Righteous Imperative for AoE aggro. Plus Leadership.

And I hate to break it to you, but if you AREN'T using your threat generating abilities liberally, you will not hold aggro for that long. You can't just use Precept if you have a shield and expect it plus salvation to hold threat.
    Well in other games I've played healing generated less threat than damage so I've assumed the best threat generating abilities would be damaging ones so I simply spam EJ on groups and Censure/SoJ on single.

Shadowlander

Yeah, the hardest part about Cleric tanking that I have run into so far... Ranged NPC's just won't MOVE. You have no way to silence them and make them move to you. So I end up having to Bolt the ranged, Even Justice the melee group running at us, then move the group to where the ranged is. Then ask the Warrior or Mage or someone else that has a knockback to push the other ranged to me.

A real pain in the arse sometimes.

If there was any change to Justicar that I could wish for it would be a silence or a knockback of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinus View Post
    Yeah, the hardest part about Cleric tanking that I have run into so far... Ranged NPC's just won't MOVE. You have no way to silence them and make them move to you. So I end up having to Bolt the ranged, Even Justice the melee group running at us, then move the group to where the ranged is. Then ask the Warrior or Mage or someone else that has a knockback to push the other ranged to me.

If there was any change to Justicar that I could wish for it would be a silence or a knockback of my own.
    You have a sillence and a stun.

You can also try a LoS pull, ranged will come to you. Do not forget to inform your party, else it can be pretty messy

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Sykotron View Post
    Well in other games I've played healing generated less threat than damage so I've assumed the best threat generating abilities would be damaging ones so I simply spam EJ on groups and Censure/SoJ on single.
    this may be true but you can heal for so much more than u dmg..EJ might seem to do alot of dmg, but that's split b/w each mob...whereas the full aoe healing threat would be applied to each mob separately...at least that's what i've seen while tanking in rifts...it's also a good way to hold threat on ranged
    Last edited by Aggrosamurai; 03-23-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Tinus View Post

Line of sight, dude. Tanks have been using it to pull ranged mobs in every MMO that has ever been.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sykotron View Post
    Does overheal generate threat? Does damage generate threat with the same coefficient as heals? I.e. 4 damage = 4 threat, 4 healed = 4 threat?
    Thats an very interesting question. I'm going to try it, but I think my efforts will be for naught. (normally overheal is puffing into nothingness).

I don't have problems with Masses of groups, Even Justice is good enough for that, but i have since the last few days a problem with threat against one of our guilds rouges, and it bugs the hell out of me! But if icould generate threat over overhealing, then I it would be a piece of a cake to get everything glued to me.

Btw: Doktrin of Loyalty would be stupid to use when you could use Doktrin of Authority (nearly exactly the same amount of healing or more sometimes)

(tankbuild: http://seelenplaner.telara.net/#cler...1532121;21,051 )

+ Reply to Thread