+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: All the nerf posts...

  1. #1
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    343

    Question All the nerf posts...

    ...seem to be focused around the mage, rogue, and warrior callings. If I had to have a breakdown of 'Nerf <insert class> QQ' threads, it would probably be

    35% warrior
    30% rogue
    30% mage
    5% cleric (and its mainly about healing)

    Are we that balanced? Or just subpar on damage to the rest of callings that no one notices? IMO I wouldn't mind a buff myself, since I think my 1.5s cast of BoJ (specced) should do more than 450 damage...

    What are your thoughts?

    Disclaimer: This is not a QQ nerf thread, just want to know the view of the cleric population

  2. #2
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    543

    Default

    That doesn't seem bad especially once you factor in a tick of dmg from Vex, Heretic and even the DoT from your BoDs .

    One day, i intend to make a Cab/BoD build. I think it could end up doing some fairly decent dmg, but i'm no caster lol

  3. #3
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie328 View Post
    That doesn't seem bad especially once you factor in a tick of dmg from Vex, Heretic and even the DoT from your BoDs .

    One day, i intend to make a Cab/BoD build. I think it could end up doing some fairly decent dmg, but i'm no caster lol
    Ugh I tried a dps-focused inq/cab build. Played it for an hour and couldn't stand it. I felt zero synergy between the souls and the damage seemed only slightly higher than my other inq/warden/sent build.

    But some people use the build and love it, so I guess to each their own.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    15

    Default

    i think the reason other classes are the main focus of this patch is because clerics are pretty much using all the souls. But warriors, rouges, and mages are only really using 2 or 3 main souls and everything else is just for passives. of our 8 souls i've seen 7 of them used as main builds out there. when is the last time you've seen an elementalist (other mage pet soul) main soul?

  5. #5
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    76

    Default

    No one is going to call for a nerf on a class that gets instantly mana drained and becomes useless in seconds. Since half the people play warriors, the second a cleric shows up, if one of them has any skill at all, he/she/it switches to VK and bam, problem solved. No one calls for a nerf because one isn't needed.

    The main people asking for cleric nerfs are mages that complain that inq outdps them, which is a valid complaint.

    Mage damage needs to be buffed. Mana drains need to have some way to be defended against. Warrior bugs need to be fixed (Notice I didn't say nerf warriors, I said fix the bugs where stuff is clearly not working as the tooltip says it should)

  6. #6
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mato View Post
    Ugh I tried a dps-focused inq/cab build. Played it for an hour and couldn't stand it. I felt zero synergy between the souls and the damage seemed only slightly higher than my other inq/warden/sent build.

    But some people use the build and love it, so I guess to each their own.
    Agree. I like my inq/just/sent build when I have to dps instead of pure heal. I find it fun to keep an eye on my convictions and use them only when needed. Adds a lot of skill to the really boring inq damage rotation (which is so simple it is mind numbing). You dps with the boring rotation but have to keep an eye on the tank and try to judge when the cleric really needs your help. Time his heals and see if he is about to get a huge 3 second heal off or if he needs you to start popping conviction heals to help him out.

    Fun stuff =)

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Natty McLight View Post
    No one is going to call for a nerf on a class that gets instantly mana drained and becomes useless in seconds. Since half the people play warriors, the second a cleric shows up, if one of them has any skill at all, he/she/it switches to VK and bam, problem solved. No one calls for a nerf because one isn't needed.

    The main people asking for cleric nerfs are mages that complain that inq outdps them, which is a valid complaint.

    Mage damage needs to be buffed. Mana drains need to have some way to be defended against. Warrior bugs need to be fixed (Notice I didn't say nerf warriors, I said fix the bugs where stuff is clearly not working as the tooltip says it should)
    So what you're saying is that clerics need a little buff? I could handle that. I remember being pretty boss in Beta 5 before the nerf swing, been a little lacking since then.

  8. #8
    Plane Walker StChoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    409

    Default

    The only buff I would like to see is for Shamans damage to be more reliable. Right now, if you're lucky and everything crits/procs then you can do great DPS but if they don't, your DPS is crap and I mean really crappy. I think it's too unreliable and there should be some middle-ground.

  9. #9
    Champion Dao Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    536

    Default

    I'd say we're pretty balanced. People complain about our ability to heal through damage, but those complaints usually come from people who are trying to DPS us down like NPC mobs (i.e. - not using interrupts or CC). People that think they should be able to 1v1 a Calling that can heal do not understand fundamental game mechanics. These people also do not understand that a Cleric who can heal himself through 2-3 people beating on him is not a Cleric who can kill anyone, and that we will *always* lose a war of attrition.

    I think perhaps our melee DPS trees need to be looked at in terms of PvP viability, as I'm not sure there are many Shamans or Druids currently PvPing past the 20-29 bracket.

    I personally think our ranged DPS trees are pretty good. Inquisitors don't seem to have any problems (my Inq build sure doesn't; Sanction Heretic is a rad power), and while I don't personally like the Cabalist soul it definitely has some good stuff in there at the higher levels. You really can't knock how much fun Obliterate is to use.

    I'd like to see them look at the Purifier soul. Right now it's kind of a "heal/shield" soul, and I think it suffers some from that diversity. The shields do not scale well, and while the healing is decent (especially with Surging Flames and Restorative Flame) I think it ends up muddying the soul overall. If I could choose, I'd like them to make the shielding powers equal to the healing of other trees, and rework the Purifier as a "protection" soul, instead of a "healing soul. (Anyone who played a Protection Monk in Guild Wars would understand this idea.)

    I think both the Sentinel and Warden souls are really solid healers, and well put together. There is a small bug in Serendipity that needs to be fixed, which I'm sure they'll get to. But the fact that people argue endlessly about both Warden and Sentinel healing being viable in endgame content should tell you that they're getting the job done.

    I love the Justicar soul, and don't see any major changes it needs. (Other than making Doctrine of Valiance not suck.) It gives us a lot of survivability, but we pay for it in damage or healing output.

    Most of the complaints around Clerics relate to our healing output or low melee DPS. I discount the healing complaints for the above stated reasons, and suggest that Trion review Shamans and Druids to see if they need to be made more viable for later tier PvP purposes. But other than that? I feel like we're a pretty well-rounded Calling.
    Unrepentant Gaming Community

    Bacardi: Rogue (Defiant/Sunrest)
    Dao: Cleric (Defiant/Gnarlwood)

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts