+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleric Shields are applied before Dmg Reduction effects?

Plane Touched

Question Cleric Shields are applied before Dmg Reduction effects?

So my shields take 100% unmitigated dmg before my armor + talents + buffs are even considered? Another reason not to Purifier I guess.
    Last edited by Aurumsolis; 03-23-2011 at 06:59 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Aurumsolis View Post
    So my shields take 100% unmitigated dmg before my armor + talents + buffs are even considered? Another reason not to Purifier I guess.
    A 400+ dmg protection shield seems to fall 50% faster than me losing 400 HP.

yes, its not scaled properly with spell power. It needs to be sorted before people are pimped out with gear, instances become harder, people hit harder and the shields become useless.

Plane Touched

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    yes, its not scaled properly with spell power. It needs to be sorted before people are pimped out with gear, instances become harder, people hit harder and the shields become useless.
    That's the 2nd bad point about shields.
    As I was saying is that you have 40% armor reduction, 15% dmg reduction from souls and you're not even in Mien of Leadership. The shield functions as if you did not wear any armor and did not spec into souls.

Rift Chaser

i believe this comes to the point that currently armor penetration is 100%...at least that's what i've been reading

That's the 2nd bad point about shields.
    As I was saying is that you have 40% armor reduction, 15% dmg reduction from souls and you're not even in Mien of Leadership. The shield functions as if you did not wear any armor and did not spec into souls.
    Well no, I don't think shields should scale with armour. Seems a little silly considering armour is physical reduction, shield is a spell and there is no talent linking the two together. Cleric tanks rely on their spell power for parry chance. So it's always good to have high spell power, which therefore should effect shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrosamurai View Post
    i believe this comes to the point that currently armor penetration is 100%...at least that's what i've been reading
    thats only in PvP

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Well no, I don't think shields should scale with armour. Seems a little silly considering armour is physical reduction, shield is a spell and there is no talent linking the two together. Cleric tanks rely on their spell power for parry chance. So it's always good to have high spell power, which therefore should effect shields.
    no no, thats not what we mean, the shield gets hit, THEN all the mitigations from any source on the person themselves gets taken in to account afterwards. the trouble is that includes toughness etc so a shield is just worthless much of the time as it ignores any of that.

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Telaran

Absorption Shields take effect AFTER normal armor and damage reduction effects i.e. they're the final thing that happens before damage is applied.

Sorry I read your query wrong. Yes as sweet says, the damage the mob does per hit should be the same as when you have a shield up to when you don't. So your armour contributes to the mitigation of damage.

What I thought you meant was that armour should also increase the damage the shield absorbs. Like scaling the effectiveness of the shield with armour, which it shouldn't do. Spell power should do this instead.
    Last edited by Refuge; 03-23-2011 at 07:56 PM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Mattdoommaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    Absorption Shields take effect AFTER normal armor and damage reduction effects i.e. they're the final thing that happens before damage is applied.
    I also tested this, and found this to be true. Your mitigation, including Parries and Blocks, take place before your shield absorption effect.

Which means tanks actually get more relative value out of shields than any other cleric.

Want to know more about Clerics? Check out Rift Clerics . NET

+ Reply to Thread