+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tab-Target Healing, Need Cleric Advice

Default Tab-Target Healing, Need Cleric Advice

Hello all! I have a brief question for some of the "vets".

I love to play healing classes in MMO's, so i rolled one here in RiFT.
    Looking through the souls I chose Shaman/justicar to start with.

My problem is, i cant stand "tab-target" healing, it really detracts from my enjoyment of a game. I chose Shaman/justicar because they heal passively through doing damage, and its AoE.

However, i was told that i could never main-heal instances like that, and when i join a group and they find out that their healer is a shaman/justicar, they drop me.

What should i do? Give up on playing a healing class in this game? Is there a soul in the cleric class that i maybe overlooked? something that focuses on passives / AoE healing rather than "tab=target" healing?

please help!

-signed,
    lost and confused healer

Champion of Telara

you NEED to be able to focus heal for instances. No way around that.

if you want to damage while healing "passively" try out a chloromancer. shaman/justicar can offheal, but is in no way a healer build.
    Do the herpty derp, please, keep LOSing your healers behind objects so you die.

Im not quite sure what u mean but if u want to do dmg>heal? and want to be mainhealer the closest thing would be a mage chloromancer, Justicar is support or tank depending on how deep u go and the other souls u pick with them. And the amount of supporthealing they do at lower lvls is mediocre compared to bard/chloro

Ascendant

The only way to main heal with that spec is if your tank is very overgeared for the content. It sounds like you don't really enjoy healing and just want to DPS, however, like has been said already Chloro is the closest thing to what you describe.
    Last edited by Bluelightt; 03-22-2011 at 10:42 AM.

i see....so essentially, focus-healing is the name of the game here, and there isnt a soul that does AoE / passive HoT's?
    and no, its not that i "dont like healing and just want to DPS"... thats not what i said at all. I dont like tab-target healing, and was looking for passives / AoE heals... the shaman / justicar accomplished that by swinging his big club around, but its not that i NEED to dps.

sounds like its time for me to reroll

edit: as a frame of reference, Age of Conan had the best healing-mechanics in any MMO ive ever seen. really let you be part of the action instead of watching group portraits and targeting individual teammates for single-target heals... the rest of the game was questionable lol, but i loved the heals.
    Last edited by suizendo; 03-22-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixpha View Post
    Im not quite sure what u mean but if u want to do dmg>heal? and want to be mainhealer the closest thing would be a mage chloromancer, Justicar is support or tank depending on how deep u go and the other souls u pick with them. And the amount of supporthealing they do at lower lvls is mediocre compared to bard/chloro
    Yes, but at higher levels they DEFINITELY don't do enough damage to heal a group. No offense but if I found out that my main healer was a Melee DPS, I would either leave group or apologize for picking them up without finding out their spec first. Maybe at lower levels this is ok, I'm talking about 50. If you plan on endgaming like that, you will sorely be mistaken. If you want to do Dmg AND passively heal [better than Justicar anyways] in late game, try a Chloromancer.

Tab targeting? you mean u dont want to click target/mouseover players to heal? then there is none because u will have to target with all the healing classes some way or another

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by suizendo View Post
    i see....so essentially, focus-healing is the name of the game here, and there isnt a soul that does AoE / passive HoT's?
    and no, its not that i "dont like healing and just want to DPS"... thats not what i said at all. I dont like tab-target healing, and was looking for passives / AoE heals... the shaman / justicar accomplished that by swinging his big club around, but its not that i NEED to dps.

You can aoe heals from Justicar fairly effectively, mana can become an issue even with purpose though if you are chaining those during a boss. I'm just saying you can't main heal with that spec very well...at least I can't.

I'm not 100% sure what you don't like. You can mousover hear as well.

But if your concert is that you dont like watching 5 HP bars, end game people rarely do. You end up with a tank healer whole heals the tanks and a raid healer (or off healer) who throws up AoEs on the group. If you have a good tank and dps who don't stand in fire, it's pretty rare that random group members take big hits and if they do, it's part of what's special about a certain boss.

Purifiers are pure tank healers. They dont really have an AoE, instead have a 31 point skill spills over all the overheal from the tank to the raid.

Sentinels probably have the strongest AoE heal and many skills to compliment it. It's probably the most flexible tree in it's ability to solo heal, tank heal, raid heal, etc.

Wardens are really designed for mulit-target healing. You have a rotation on the tank, and a few extra seconds to HoT the raid.

Outside of cleric, bards and chloromancers are both great raid healers who passively heal the group while doing damage.

I too wish Just/Sham could heal well enough to do 5-mans. You could probably build a viable Justicar healer but 1) it would likely be sub-optimal and 2) most people wouldn't take in unless you made the group or played with friends.

Champion of Telara

edit: as a frame of reference, Age of Conan had the best healing-mechanics in any MMO ive ever seen. really let you be part of the action instead of watching group portraits and targeting individual teammates for single-target heals... the rest of the game was questionable lol, but i loved the heals.
    Warden and sentinel get aoe heals, as well as justicar (latter being based off convictions, not counting reparation). The aoe heals are NOT mana efficient and can NOT keep a tank up, or someone getting focus fired, not to mention you'll be oom after about 12 casts.

I don't see how this is different from any other game, even in warhammer with dok/wp healing you still needed to use your st heals to solo heal stuff as aoe heal wasn't always efficient.

as for feeling the action instead of group portraits, all trion needs to do is allow us to enable friendly healthbars by character names. WTB THIS BADLY. but you still need to target heal.

justis can offheal quite fine with mein of honor/doctrines but don't expect to be able to run as a main healer.
    Last edited by Baconbits; 03-22-2011 at 10:55 AM.

ok well, thanks all -
    seems that the healing mechanics in this game are not to my taste, sad as that is - i love to play healers...
    I have been having so much fun with my shaman, lvling, but as soon as i got into a group i realized i had would have to make other roles for healing in instances, and they all require target healing over AoE...

So its either resign to being off heals as a shaman/justicar (which makes it supremely hard to find a group), or make a cleric DPS role (which i hear is frowned upon in end-game), or reroll...

Quote Originally Posted by Baconbits View Post
    I don't see how this is different from any other game, even in warhammer with dok/wp healing you still needed to use your st heals to solo heal stuff as aoe heal wasn't always efficient.
    never played warhammer, never played WoW, sorry...as i mentioned, if you are familiar with the healing mechanics in Age of Conan, they are the best ive seen in any MMO

Plane Touched

If you really want to try a justicar healer, you need a build similar to this to be able to not have to rely on convictions when the **** hits the fan. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00....EuMootckoo.xx I've run this myself with either bard or chloromancer offheals and is it's more than enough to do most content, but it really does struggle as a solo healer.
    Last edited by Nuanil; 03-22-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Champion of Telara

never played warhammer, never played WoW, sorry...as i mentioned, if you are familiar with the healing mechanics in Age of Conan, they are the best ive seen in any MMO
    Didn't play AOC but I know they had the "aiming" stuff, which was unique to that mmo; rift is more standard.

yes, you actually have to target your heals here, on a player, including your aoe heals.

aoe heals aren't sufficient to keep a tank up, otherwise there would be no point to our single target heals.

well thx baconbits, and all of you clerics...

i guess i'll leave the healing in this game to the Pro's who enjoy this type of healing mechanics...
    now i need to reroll

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast