+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting a Cleric

Shadowlander

Default Starting a Cleric

I was thinking of starting an alt up and was debating what class to choose (my other is a mage). Given the lack of healers on my server, Cleric seemed like a good choice. However I was wondering if anyone would care to provide me with some of the pros/cons of Clerics from 1-49 and from 50 and beyond.

Thanks.

Plane Touched

Default Meh

Quote Originally Posted by ZaneThanatos View Post
    I was thinking of starting an alt up and was debating what class to choose (my other is a mage). Given the lack of healers on my server, Cleric seemed like a good choice. However I was wondering if anyone would care to provide me with some of the pros/cons of Clerics from 1-49 and from 50 and beyond.

Thanks.
    I would suggest reading threads here.

Melee based clerics are very fun and the souls have a lot of great synergy.

Caster based clerics are getting mixed reviews.

FWIW I rerolled a Chloro to get my caster based heal fix, and I think its just a more elegantly designed bunch of souls that work quite well together.

For me I hope that caster clerics get some tweaks - its the class I have been playing in just about all MMOs since EQ1 and here I gotta say the class just really isn't doing it for me as a caster/healer.

Get ready for a bunch of posters to come at me saying L2P L2P L2P.

But then look around at your server and ask yourself why all the clerics are out smashing things with gigantic hammers (melee clerics, great) and not in that instance you want to run but cant find enough heals (caster clerics, less great).

I think the Cleric is a very hard soul selection to pin down based on the incredible variety of solo and support abilities.

I would suggest really defining what you want your Cleric to achieve in terms of balancing your PVE and leveling needs. Sometimes filling a role for necessities sake doesn't always make for the greatest playing experience.

For me, I started out as a Justicar because I was interesting in tanking for my group. But after 25 levels, I have since moved on into more solo play and am re-learning the rotations for Inquisitor.

The great thing about this soul system is the flexibility of being able to switch roles mid-stream and I think the Cleric really excels at this part of the game.

Shadowlander

A lot of the posts seemed to address a single issue or faucet of the class rather than a good overall feel toward it.

From 1-49 its mostly about how quickly/easily I can level with a few instances tossed in. From 50 on I'm probably going to look at healing and possibly tanking, not worried as much about DPS because I have my mage for that.

For leveling my big concern was they would level like paladins in WoW (not fun). Endgame healing - I feel like my chloro might actually have better heals overall but there are a lot of situations in which chloro is really weak and only good as a support role rather than a primary healer.

+ Reply to Thread