+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Duo w/ Warrior - Leveling / PvP build suggestions?

  1. #1
    Plane Touched Envie42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    99

    Default Duo w/ Warrior - Leveling / PvP build suggestions?

    Hi - looking for some suggestions on a good build for mid-level PvE / PvP hybrid if possible.

    I play exclusively with my husband - he's a warrior - usually dps riftblade for easy mobs/quests and switching to his tankier roles when we do more difficult stuff / dungeons. We play Defiants on a PvP server so we need good PvE and PvP open world capabilities.

    We're currently in the 32-35 leveling range.

    I have a great justicar/sent build that I'm learning to utilize as well as my heavy sent/warden healer role for dungeons where I am main healer.

    I'm looking for a third role that is a hybrid bread and butter role for doing quests and running around in zones like Scarlet Gorge where encounters with Guardians is common. It's not really useful to equip a full pvp spec, nor do I feel like a full healing spec is really the best use of points for our duo'ing needs.

    I'm thinking something in the Purifier/Inq or Cab lines, but would appreciate the feedback and where to focus most points. I don't intend to be mass dps, mass defense, or mass healbot - just a good mix of all three to maximize our survivability in open world pvp encounters as well as pve.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Plane Walker Dwarflord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Envie42 View Post
    Hi - looking for some suggestions on a good build for mid-level PvE / PvP hybrid if possible.

    I play exclusively with my husband - he's a warrior - usually dps riftblade for easy mobs/quests and switching to his tankier roles when we do more difficult stuff / dungeons. We play Defiants on a PvP server so we need good PvE and PvP open world capabilities.

    We're currently in the 32-35 leveling range.

    I have a great justicar/sent build that I'm learning to utilize as well as my heavy sent/warden healer role for dungeons where I am main healer.


    I'm looking for a third role that is a hybrid bread and butter role for doing quests and running around in zones like Scarlet Gorge where encounters with Guardians is common. It's not really useful to equip a full pvp spec, nor do I feel like a full healing spec is really the best use of points for our duo'ing needs.

    I'm thinking something in the Purifier/Inq or Cab lines, but would appreciate the feedback and where to focus most points. I don't intend to be mass dps, mass defense, or mass healbot - just a good mix of all three to maximize our survivability in open world pvp encounters as well as pve.

    Thanks!
    Justicar/Shaman with a low point sentinel or warden. Nice passive healing, some damage, and cheap instant heals for you and your husband.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched Envie42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarflord View Post
    Justicar/Shaman with a low point sentinel or warden. Nice passive healing, some damage, and cheap instant heals for you and your husband.
    Thanks! This isn't a combo I've tried yet - well at least the shaman part of it. I have heard some say the Just/Shaman combo is lethal but not that it works well for PvE situations - I did a 23 Justicar, rest of points into sentinel and just wasn't satisfied with it - seemed lacking.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I run with a warrior as well and I'm using a spec that was outlined on these boards (I'll see if I can't track it down to give the appropriate credit where it's due). Basically it's all instant abilities, I call it a run and gun spec because of the sheer mobility.

    Inq/Sent/Ward 26/26/14 at lvl 50. At lvl 38 I'm currently sitting at 15/21/14

    Now I know doing a hybrid spread load of talen points is generally ugly and frowned upon but it used to be highly effective in WoW up until some recent changes and currently it's working out for me for questing, world PvP and war fronts (like I said I'm always running with a warrior).

    At 38 I've got:

    Healing Breath - Instant direct heal on short (8sec) cooldown, spec'd to hit 2 additional raid or party members
    Healing Spray - HoT
    Healing Flood - AoE HoT
    Touch of Light - 45sec cooldown to make next heal instant (no global cooldown) use with Healing Grace, Healing Communion (AoE Heal), deluge, healing current, etc
    Tidal Surge - 45 sec cooldown increase next heal by 50% use like/with touch of light for on the go clutch heal

    Clensing Water - Utility removes posion/curse/disease
    Purge - Utility remove buffs from enemy/mob
    Luminous Gaze - Utility increase crit on target
    Impede - Utility slow
    Dissolution - Utility remove snares
    Healer's Covenant - Utility Damage reduction
    Quietus - Utility silence
    Perserverance - Utility fear resist


    For damage:
    Healing Spray
    Life's Vengeance
    Vex (Spec'd for the heal)
    Banish
    Sanction Heretic (once spec'd for it can proc an instant bolt of judgment)
    Crashing wave - really you're using this for the GET OFF ME effect not the damage, works great when you hit them with impede first (impede is off the global cooldown)

    You'll have some stand still and cast abilities but you really won't need to use them that often, channeled Aggressive Renewal is great for mana return when needed.


    In world pvp and warfronts I just pillar hump/LoS/kite while rolling hots on myself and my warrior buddy. I with the instant direct heals I can afford to let him get pounded a bit, I can take a stun, etc. and still recover. The Healer's Covenant damage reduction is also very clutch. If I'm just doing solo questing I can grab 3-4 mobs roll DoTs on them, keep a HoT on myself and widdle them away as needed.

    Again this idea and spec was taken from the boards here and I just tweaked it for my own usage because I liked the idea behind it. It's served me well thus far and I'll be interested to see how it handles at 50. Obviously if I'm getting focus fired there's only so much that I can do but that holds true with most spec's.

  5. #5
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I'm in a similar situation to you as part of a duo - it's a lot of fun.

    My wife plays Riftblade/Reaver/* in PvP and world PvE (VK/Pally/* for instances).

    I've tried many builds, and this is my current favorite:

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00edj.VE0zsz.Vxkb.x

    This gives me nearly the full healing strength of my instance build. I keep a full stack of Soothing Stream rolling and she can pretty much AOE non-stop, as well as being prepared for randon PvP encounters. Healing Breath, Deluge, and Orbs give great spike healing. Ripple+Soothing is also available as needed (try to use every cooldown in WFs!).

    With her AOE so strong, I find that I really don't need to add much damage. But I do have some insta DOTs I can spread around along with pretty strong Waterjet spam. Other nice tools: Purge, Impede snare, Endurance buffs, Aggressive Renewal for mana regen, as well as the Warden knockback, silence and cleanse.

    All good stuff, but then there are MANY viable builds. I suspect I'm hardly alone as a Rift re-spec junkie... sometimes just to keep things interesting. lol

  6. #6
    Plane Touched Envie42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anticor View Post

    Now I know doing a hybrid spread load of talen points is generally ugly and frowned upon but it used to be highly effective in WoW up until some recent changes and currently it's working out for me for questing, world PvP and war fronts (like I said I'm always running with a warrior).
    Anticor, I agree with you - if you've got a dedicated duo with a good melee or dps, you have more freedom and versatility options and you can really do a more hybrid mix of souls to take advantage of different areas. Those that frown on it may not have that sort of luxury and feel specializing deeper in one area is more effective and that may be true if they solo level or must rely on their own ability alone to carry them in PvP. The great thing about duo'ing with your partner is a strong teamwork mode that enhances each other instead of two separate builds that don't.

    I appreciate all of your feedback on this topic and how you run with your warrior. Along with the other poster I'm going to reply to, it looks like I need to give Warden another look.

    Thanks!

  7. #7
    Plane Touched Envie42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by velospeed2002 View Post
    I'm in a similar situation to you as part of a duo - it's a lot of fun.

    My wife plays Riftblade/Reaver/* in PvP and world PvE (VK/Pally/* for instances).

    I've tried many builds, and this is my current favorite:

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00edj.VE0zsz.Vxkb.x

    This gives me nearly the full healing strength of my instance build. I keep a full stack of Soothing Stream rolling and she can pretty much AOE non-stop, as well as being prepared for randon PvP encounters. Healing Breath, Deluge, and Orbs give great spike healing. Ripple+Soothing is also available as needed (try to use every cooldown in WFs!).

    With her AOE so strong, I find that I really don't need to add much damage. But I do have some insta DOTs I can spread around along with pretty strong Waterjet spam. Other nice tools: Purge, Impede snare, Endurance buffs, Aggressive Renewal for mana regen, as well as the Warden knockback, silence and cleanse.

    All good stuff, but then there are MANY viable builds. I suspect I'm hardly alone as a Rift re-spec junkie... sometimes just to keep things interesting. lol
    Thanks for a link to your build velospeed!

    I'm hearing a lot of clerics here on the forum say to give Warden another look because while at first it seems weak, or only an enhancement soul for something bigger, it does seem to have some staying power standing on its own at higher levels. I still wouldn't choose it as a primary role for newbies... I think I tried it and had a lot of problems.

    My husband thinks a mix of the HoT's and my favorite heal/shield methods with purifier would be a versatile mix for our leveling needs. We don't really need too much heavy healing (deep in Sent) so perhaps I can try this mix with Inquisitor too.

    Thanks for another option!

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts