Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A Cleric Leveling Build

Rift Master

Default A Cleric Leveling Build

A Simple Cleric Leveling Build

Here are my thoughts on perhaps the easiest leveling build available to the Cleric.

What we are aiming to do here is to create a melee character, with good damage, on demand healing, great sustainability and minimal downtime.

The souls to use are: Druid, Shaman, Sentinel. If you are impatient, here's the spec at Level 36:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00anj.Vq0VAoVo.ELz0z

The druid tree, first and foremost, has a pet. While many think of the faerie as a weak addition to a class, it is important to note that she can provide a very respectable amount of support. Once you have the Greater Faerie (level 26), she can benefit you with a HoT and a direct heal. As well as being able to add a small amount of ranged damage.

We are taking the Shaman tree mainly for the talent Jolt. There are other benefits to it, but that is, for us, the capstone of the tree.

Sentinel is taken only for the spell Healing Breath. That's all. At later levels it can be profitable to add spell power as a talent, but let's concentrate on the early stages first.

Once you have your trees well underway, you will be able to benefit from:

*Good consistent damage
    *4 sources of healing
    *2 damage shields
    *Very minimal downtime

Note: This build really starts taking off once you have both Jolt and Bombard, which requires Level 18. Until this point, it is entirely up to you whether you level as Shaman or Druid; each is pretty good, and leveling up to that point is a cinch. Less said the better. The following should take you comfortably from 18 all the way to 50.

Okay, first up, the Shaman tree. We're going to fill this up to Jolt and leave it be.

1st tier:
    4/5 Dauntless Courage
    5/5 Unyielding

2nd tier:
    1/1 Glacial Shield
    5/5 Overwhelming

3rd tier:
    Nothing. If you like the spec for PvP you may want to pick up Vengeance of the Frozen Earth and drop a point from Dauntless Courage.

4th tier:
    1/1 Jolt

Skills learned that we will use:
    Vengeance of the Winter Storm - extra water damage to all melee attacks

Courage of the Jaguar - extra Dexterity buff

Lightning Hammer - good damage with a DoT attached

Fated Blow - off the GCD attack on parries and dodges

Massive Blow - a big hitter

Glory of the Chosen - excellent self heal available after taking a critical hit; off the GCD

Ageless Ice: one of our TWO mana regen skills.

Now once that's done, the druid tree:

1st tier:
    5/5 Strength of Earth

2nd tier:
    1/1 Balm of the Woods
    5/5 Spirit of the Hunter

3rd tier:
    5/5 Savage Force

4th tier:
    3/3 Boundless Growth
    5/5 Spirit of the Wood

5th tier:
    5/5 Weight of the World
    1/1 Rage of the Fae

6th tier:
    1/1 Natural Dedication

Skills learned that we will use:
    Fervent Strike - our standard default strike

Summon: Faerie - default pet till we get her big sister

Shield of Oak - along with Glacial Shield, we have two damage shields available to us, on identical cooldowns. Note that you cannot have both up at the same time. Casting one while the other is active will cancel out the active one.

Trickster Spirit - a strike that reduce the attack/spell power of your enemy. Hits quite hard, too.

Bombard - a standard attack on a 6 second cooldown. The damage it can do is amazingly good for a 6 second cooldown spell.

Fae Hammer - our other mana regen skill. You can either weave them, casting one after another, or you can use them both at the same time, resulting in massive mana returns.

Wild Strike - you can also get Avalanche Strike from the Shaman side; they are identical AOE spells, so choose whichever takes your fancy!

Combined Effort - as well as hitting like a truck, Eruption of Life - a very good attack, hitting hard and allowing subsequent attacks to also hit hard.

Crag Hammer - Similar to Vengeance of the Winter Storm, this buff adds earth damage to all your melee attacks. The great thing is, you can use BOTH at the same time!

Summon: Greater Faerie - you premium pet, dishing out plenty of healing for you while you clobber the bad guys. If you are finding she runs out of mana, try disabling her auto magic attack.

Rage of the Fae - a 3 minute cooldown temporary buff that doubles your pet's damage and healing for 15 seconds. Use it when you have pulled a bit more than you can safely handle.

Natural Dedication - 5% extra damage may not seem like much, but this is a 30 second buff on a 2 minute cooldown... at best, that's a 25% uptime. Use liberally!

Satyr - I lie. I do not take this for a solo build, and here's why. I do plenty of damage by myself, and he tends to die a lot, he often pulls extra mobs when you are not expecting them, and you will lose the passive heal that your faerie provides.

That's all the essentials, and this brings you to level 31. From here, fill out the Druid tree as you wish. You might want Slumber, or some extra Endurance, or even a Satyr, if you'r that way inclined. The choice is up to you. What is important is that you spend at least 36 points in the tree. This will give you the Passive Skill Firend of the Weald, which increases the spell power bonus that your pets use. Which means better heals from your Faerie.

After that, you may want to dip into the Spell Power talent which translates into extra attack power, and any other useful talents you may find.
    Okay, that's the what, now for the how!

You may be a little overwhelmed by all the skills we're going to be using. You don't have to be. Like the shaman, Druids have a lot of abilities on cooldown. This means the best and simplest way to use these abilities is through a macro. Now... is this the best way to dish out damage? Probably not. But you are leveling, not performing a 5-10 minute raid boss fight. We want to to be simple, easy and worry free. Not panic about which button to press next!

So here is your macro. You can change the first line to your own liking.

#show Fervent Strike
    cast Fated Blow
    cast Glory of the Chosen
    cast Combined Effort
    cast Eruption of Life
    cast Trickster Spirit
    cast Bombard
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Lightning Hammer
    cast Fervent Strike

What this is going to do is to select the first available skill and use it. Fervent Strike is our only skill that can be spammed and it is placed right at the bottom, to be used only if there is nothing else to cast. Fated Blow and Glory of the Chosen are both reactive skills, that is, needing a specific action before that can be used; we want to use them as quickly as possible, so they are up the top.

Most of the others are arranged due to their cooldown. The exception is Massive Blow. This is a cornerstone of the Shaman tree, and though it does good damage for us, there are better skills to prioritise first.

What else to have on your bars then? Well, you will want your mana regen skills (Ageless Ice and Fae Hammer), both your instant spells (Healing Breath, Balm of the Woods) and your shields (Glacial Shield and Shield of Oak). Put your AOE spell of choice there too. And also your longer cooldown skills (Rage of the Fae, Natural Dedication).

To summarise: I promised you a few things at the start of this, lets see how I did...

Good consistent damage: thanks to crits, passive damage buff and a multitude of decent melee skills, your screen will be constantly filled with damage numbers. You wont see the huge numbers that a warrior might enjoy, but this is all about solid, consistent damage. The mobs won't stand a chance.

4 sources of healing: We have a faerie, a reactive heal (Glory of the Chosen), and 2 on demand heals (Healing Breath, 8 second cooldown, and Balm of the Woods, 10 second cooldown). It is more than enough. In fact, you will have to try rather hard to die.

2 damage shields: Glacial Shield protects and does a bit of damage to attacking mobs, and Shield of Oak is a very solid shield.

Very minimal downtime: If you don't finish a fight at full health, your faerie will top you up. You may think that you run OOM a lot, but we have TWO skills to get mana back back. Just hit Ageless Ice and/or Fae Hammer once you dip below 50% mana, and you'll never be hungry for mana again.

Well, that's all to say on the topic. This is an easy, smooth ride for a cleric. I hope you enjoy your journey to 50 with ease.

Comment, feedback is always welcome!

Rift Master

Default reserved

reserved..

Soulwalker

Nice. Yesterday I created a Druid/Shaman/Sentinal character. I'm only level 10 but so far I like it.

Shadowlander

Personally I've just been leveling as primarily Justicar with any extra points going into Purifier. Dps output is pitiful but I generally have no trouble handling 4 to 6 equal level mobs at one time without my health dropping below 90%. Downtime only occurs if I don't pay attention to managing mana recovery. It does quite well at healing rifts, too when needed.

Good damage though.. it does not have.

Telaran

I think you forgot Jolt. Both from your "skills we will use" section and the macro. It's somewhat important XD

Rift Master

Never really been a fan of the Justicar soul for anything but tanking - which I love it for. It is just so slow, resulting in a net loss of productive gametime.

While you CAN solo a lot of mobs, those situations are realistically few and far between. You can easily pick off one mob at a time... and with my spec, I have emergency contingencies for when you pull more than is desired.

If you want to know, on equal level mobs, I can slaughter 2, take on 3 with my shields and deal with 4 using my shields and heals. 5 is touch and go, but doable, if I pop other cooldowns.

Soulwalker

This build looks good

I will be new to playing a cleric class and was wondering, for this build, is a 1hd + shield or 2hder better?

Rift Master

Two hander. We're applying a liberal mace to the face, after all!

Bump...............
    "Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless. That is your oath...Rise a Knight."

nice build, i have almost the same build whit one big difrence. I have most of my point in Shaman tree and Druid tree for some crit, another shield, bombard and a heal.

Could you tell us abit more why you decided to go for druids as main soul? Or is it just for that pet?

What soul provide the most singel target dps?
    What Soul provide the most aoe dps?

Soulwalker

You forgot to add Jolt to your macro =p

Oh and this is GREAT!

Lol thank you!
    Last edited by Hanky; 03-09-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Rift Master

Thanks to all who pointed out the missing Jolt in my macro!

But for the life of me, I cannot seem to find how to edit the post... Any pointers?

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by MysticoN View Post
    nice build, i have almost the same build whit one big difrence. I have most of my point in Shaman tree and Druid tree for some crit, another shield, bombard and a heal.

Could you tell us abit more why you decided to go for druids as main soul? Or is it just for that pet?

What soul provide the most singel target dps?
    What Soul provide the most aoe dps?

The pet goes a great way into making your self sustainable during and after fighting. Putting points in Druid really help in the long run, once you get 36 points there. And personally, I prefer the playstyle while leveling, as Shaman are incredibly crit dependant. This won't be a problem at 50, but while leveling with a lowish crit, the spec doesn't have the ooph it was designed for. Druids are far far more consistant. Sure, they enjoy crit, but it's not their bread and butter. Every hit will do considerable damage.

As for who does the most dps, I would say undoubtedly the shaman. I don't have numbers at all, but the sheer ability to burst speaks volumes. However, this isn't a mind with maximising damage as a mian concern. This is about getting to 50 as comfortably as possibly. At that point, hell, you may like the playstyle of the inquisitor, or cabalist better! With a cleric, the choice is yours.

Oh, btw, for the Shaman... Strike of the Maelstrom + Rage of the North = splattered mob bits everywhere around you. It's disturbingly satisfying.

Soulwalker

Wanted to say that this is a very nice build. I leveled my cleric with shaman as the main soul and druid as the off soul up to lvl 33.
    Saw this post and decided to give it a try, all I can say is NICE!!!! My speed of leveling skyrocketed. I went from 33 to 35 just tonight after changing to this build in about 2 1/2 hours. I was finishing a quest up and got tangled up with 4 to 5 mobs a level higher then me. When the smoke cleared all mobs were dead and I had about 1/4 health and mana left and my pet was still alive.
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting this build and taking the time to explain everything so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker View Post
    Wanted to say that this is a very nice build. I leveled my cleric with shaman as the main soul and druid as the off soul up to lvl 33.
    Saw this post and decided to give it a try, all I can say is NICE!!!! My speed of leveling skyrocketed. I went from 33 to 35 just tonight after changing to this build in about 2 1/2 hours. I was finishing a quest up and got tangled up with 4 to 5 mobs a level higher then me. When the smoke cleared all mobs were dead and I had about 1/4 health and mana left and my pet was still alive.
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting this build and taking the time to explain everything so well.
    Niiice, I will try this build tonight, though i'm only lvl 12 atm, still worth changing? I play a Warden/Inquis/Druid at the moment and I can do very well but if this does better i'll let ya know.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast