+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Bards the best raw healers?

  1. #1
    Plane Touched Valarion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    296

    Default Bards the best raw healers?

    I have been noticing an interesting trend just within our guild and in the last 90-200 warfronts.

    All of our bards are now consistently outhealing our warden/sentinels in raw numbers. This happened around lvl 20-25, but possibly even before that. Whats even stranger is, our bards are of lower lvl and have slightly lesser gear, but we are all have around the same amount of skill. I know this for a certainty, because we have all been playing healers in other MMORPGs together for years now.

    So what gives? Do bards forfeit single spike heals for better raid healing? Are they actually designed to post better numbers than equally matched clerics? Particularly wardens and sentinels?

  2. #2
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valarion View Post
    I have been noticing an interesting trend just within our guild and in the last 90-200 warfronts.

    All of our bards are now consistently outhealing our warden/sentinels in raw numbers. This happened around lvl 20-25, but possibly even before that. Whats even stranger is, our bards are of lower lvl and have slightly lesser gear, but we are all have around the same amount of skill. I know this for a certainty, because we have all been playing healers in other MMORPGs together for years now.

    So what gives? Do bards forfeit single spike heals for better raid healing? Are they actually designed to post better numbers than equally matched clerics? Particularly wardens and sentinels?
    Bards have a constant stream of aoe healing with part of their attack. Warfronts are often unorganized with people attacking different targets (instead of focusing on one guy to spike down) or doing aoe damage to pad the damage numbers (which bard healing negates). Clerics have more focused, controlled healing to those that need it, but because the're not steaming a constant amount of aoe healing it shows up as less on the meters.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple Baharroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Bard healing certainly isn't better - like Orishas has said, it's just AoE "padding".

    That said, there's a place and time for this form of healing as well - it can be and is useful; won't save your target if it's getting focus fired though.

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK, near London
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valarion View Post
    I have been noticing an interesting trend just within our guild and in the last 90-200 warfronts.

    All of our bards are now consistently outhealing our warden/sentinels in raw numbers. This happened around lvl 20-25, but possibly even before that. Whats even stranger is, our bards are of lower lvl and have slightly lesser gear, but we are all have around the same amount of skill. I know this for a certainty, because we have all been playing healers in other MMORPGs together for years now.

    So what gives? Do bards forfeit single spike heals for better raid healing? Are they actually designed to post better numbers than equally matched clerics? Particularly wardens and sentinels?
    Congratulations, you've just discovered why relying solely on meters can be misleading

    A small-to-medium heal on ten people, whether they need it or not, adds up to more than focused healing on one person that keeps them up and killing through a concerted enemy attack.

    My Justicar in beta regularly topped the healing chart in warfronts but I don't know if I ever actually kept anyone alive...
    Yes, I have a blog. I even update it from time to time

    Originally Posted by TheHangman:
    In Rift, PVE raids you!

  5. #5
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Bard healing in warfronts is an empty number if you are facing a group that assists. Against disorganized PUGs I guess it would look amazing.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    230

    Default

    In a non-organized, random warfront (which is %95 of what people play), where damage is spread and noone knows what they are doing, the bard will be the king of heals, due to the mechanics of it.

    The bards group hot, group life funnel thru cadence, and group aoe heal with the finisher (not to mention the high level root ability that is a castable heal) will work in the background, constantly filling up the hp bars even before they go down, while most of the healers will have to look for that "opening" (someone with low hp) to utilize their heals without any lost overhealing.

    I played a bard in daoc, in eq and in lotr. I love the concept of support, and I will be playing a bard in Rift. However it is GROSSLY OVERPOWERED in unorganized, random warfronts. Silences dont work on them. They have no mana issues. They can just stand there, and take on a grp much stronger and turn the tides.

    Having said that, when organized, premade warfronts come into play, things change. A group mez (opps, again a bard ability) followed by target marking and dps focusing, WILL overpower the passive healage of the bard. But as I said, this will be %5 of the time..

    TL & DR : The current status of the passive bard healage is grossly overpowered, due to the fact that it is not affected by silences and can be cast forever with regenerating energy, in a preemptive way.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Depending on the situation Wardens with their AoE HoT can get much higher numbers too. Bards need someone to attack to be able to heal, so if there is no one around there is no healing being done. It's horrible for protecting a Fang carrier if your team is dominating because you don't have a target to use for heals.

    I played a Cleric to 32 in Beta and playing a Bard now. My cleric was single target focused with a lot of mobility. I put out much higher numbers even at lvl 25 with my bard then I ever did with my Cleric. But I could save people left and right with my cleric. Bard if someone is getting focused they are going down.

    You still "save" a lot of people as a bard because pug WF's don't assist enough. The small heals keep everyone at full and in the fight instead of slowing getting trickled down by all the AoE dmg. I've seen the tables turned when in a WF group getting owned that had no healer, I switched to bard and we started winning.

  8. #8
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orishas View Post
    Bards have a constant stream of aoe healing with part of their attack. Warfronts are often unorganized with people attacking different targets (instead of focusing on one guy to spike down) or doing aoe damage to pad the damage numbers (which bard healing negates). Clerics have more focused, controlled healing to those that need it, but because the're not steaming a constant amount of aoe healing it shows up as less on the meters.
    AE damage is not padding the numbers. It can kill you just as single target damage can.

    You guys seem to think that just because people are using AE damage, they dont know what they are doing....which is incredibly short sighted. This is not Everquest PVE, and it's not WoW PVP. PVP AE damage is not just annoying splash in Rift, it will actually kill you. Single target burst healing will not keep a group alive vs. even two coordinated saboteurs. Hell, one even. Trust me, I know. Watch my videos if you want to see it first hand.

    This is not to say Bard healing is better, or worse, than any other. I'm just reminding you guys that they have an actual role...and it isnt 'pad healing'.

  9. #9
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    there is an augment item in the rift vendors that randomly adds 200 tick heal to your heal songs for added healing ability. I have tested this and it works.. i think its call Life Seed or something.. takes one greater slot.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Keeping people standing, my 5% damage mitigation and combat buffs and armor buff are probably worth more than my cadence overall, but often times my cadence lets someone survive just barely long enough to get a big heal by a real healer. I can't deal with spikes of damage at all, but I make life easier on all the healers around me. The only time I'm superior to any healer is when it's aoe damage raining down, then the single target healers can't keep up and while I can't either, it mitigates enough of the damage to keep them standing and fighting.

    All said and done it's a fun hybrid especially when combo'd with sab.

  11. #11
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default

    What people seem to miss about Bard healing is it is VERY situational. I leveled a Bard from 14-29 in Warfronts only in the last couple betas. In the Black Garden with 10 people plus pets all within range and in combat taking damage all of the time, I can regularly top the healing charts. However, if the group splits up, my numbers drop drastically. If my team is dominant and all together, but slaughtering the opposing team a few stragglers at a time (thus taking little to no damage) I can't really heal. Standing behind a tree trying to keep the fang carrier up while out of combat, forget about it. There isn't any healing we can do other than a weak HoT when we don't have a target to attack. Even when we do have a target to attack, we have to deal with building combo points to drop our 1 healing finisher. This means keeping a target within range (20m) to both build the combo points and drop Coda of Restoration. I found once I was able to get into Codex my ability to top the charts was greatly reduced as the players split up into several groups. Long story short...the numbers mean nothing. Comparing Bard healing to a true healer is an apples vs. oranges situation.

  12. #12
    Rift Disciple Drish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    193

    Default

    First, the numbers at the end of warfronts are a little less that useless. as a bard, i can say the healing numbers are very deceptive... cadence (the skill in question) is not going to keep anyone actually alive through any kind of real dps.

    second, i would have to say that i actually get higher numbers when my team LOOSES a warfront than when we win. does 31k of healing look good in black garden? sure, am i keeping people up well enough to put of a fight? no...

    Topping the heal parse is pretty much a moot point when your team looses by 300 points.

  13. #13
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drish View Post
    First, the numbers at the end of warfronts are a little less that useless. as a bard

    True. As a bard at lvl 29. I'll end the WZ with top heals , damage and only get 46 Favor. Other players are racking up hundreds.

  14. #14
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Werk View Post
    AE damage is not padding the numbers. It can kill you just as single target damage can.

    You guys seem to think that just because people are using AE damage, they dont know what they are doing....which is incredibly short sighted. This is not Everquest PVE, and it's not WoW PVP. PVP AE damage is not just annoying splash in Rift, it will actually kill you. Single target burst healing will not keep a group alive vs. even two coordinated saboteurs. Hell, one even. Trust me, I know. Watch my videos if you want to see it first hand.

    This is not to say Bard healing is better, or worse, than any other. I'm just reminding you guys that they have an actual role...and it isnt 'pad healing'.
    I say that AOE is often just padding BECAUSE its not the other games you compare it to. Bards, Justicars, and Chloromancers can negate any benefit from AOE damage with a stream of AOE heals - meaning AOE will often be wasted by the constant group healing.
    Last edited by Orishas; 03-02-2011 at 07:10 AM.

  15. #15
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orishas View Post
    I say that AOE is often just padding BECAUSE its not the other games you compare it to. Bards, Justicars, and Chloromancers can negate any benefit from AOE damage with a stream of AOE heals - meaning AOE will often be wasted by the constant group healing.

    no damage is wasted. You say the ae heals negate the ae damage (though I'm not certain that's entirely correct), someone else will say ae damage negates ae healing.

    or, following your line of thinking, I could say that single target damage is just padding, because single target burst healing negates it. See how silly that sounds?


    That last part should pretty clearly illustrate the fault in your logic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts