+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pets too good/too accessible?

Default Pets too good/too accessible?

I don't mean to whine, but most of the 'optimal' levelling speccs i've looked at seem to be very pet focused. Even if its just 'take this soul, free pet!'

I'd hope that there could in future be some equal alternative for players that don't relish having to worry about a smelly boar or skeleton or cat or farie. Since it does seem that it is perhaps too good a bonus for so little to pass up in most builds.

I havn't played a great deal, but the builds i've been looking at are:

Ranged Rogues
    Mages in general (wether elementalist or necromancer)
    Warriors (when looking at a soul that gave a bonus for Champion and (I don't even remember.. the one that coats thier blades with fire and lightning..) it seemed that a spirit beast was the best 'bonus' by miles.

I worry that pets have been made far too appealing as a low investment perk, and that it may hurt build variety. Since they are generally competing with 'slightly differant attack that may or may not be 3% better than what you have.

Anyone else agree?
    Last edited by Semirhage; 02-28-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Rift Disciple

Definitely.

I am a Bard(12)/marksman(rest)/Ranger(0).
    I just took the ranger soul to get a free pet that does the tanking for me.
    The pet can tank 3 mobs, doesn't die since I'm a bard with plenty of heals and he keeps the mobs at a distance so I can use marksman finishers and stay out of LoF.

Ugh, not as a Ranger. I really think the Wolf can't hold aggro at ALL and dies fast (which yeah that's how it's supposed to be - used in instances or rifts and not really for tanking) and the Hog seems to die really fast. My wife wanted a Ranger cause of the pet but when she's not playing I switch to a Sin or Riftstalker. I dunno though, we get the Greater Hog here in 1 more lvl and maybe it'll be beefier.

For the rogue class I'd give the pets a B-.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasalad View Post
    Ugh, not as a Ranger. I really think the Wolf can't hold aggro at ALL and dies fast (which yeah that's how it's supposed to be - used in instances or rifts and not really for tanking) and the Hog seems to die really fast. My wife wanted a Ranger cause of the pet but when she's not playing I switch to a Sin or Riftstalker. I dunno though, we get the Greater Hog here in 1 more lvl and maybe it'll be beefier.
    The hog heals up instantly when out of combat and can tank several mobs for over 10 seconds.
    If you're a bard you can use cadence(with the 100% healing attribute) or the regeneration song and he can tank 5 mobs without losing health.

It's the best investment I ever made, though I heard there's a cap on the level the lesser hog can be?

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasalad View Post
    For the rogue class I'd give the pets a B-.
    It should really be an A+ if you have a bard soul alongside with you.
    Last edited by Kaluro; 02-28-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Well... you need to spent 21 points into any of the pet souls in order to retain their usefulness. Since past Level 30, all Lesser Pets no longer receive higher ranks and therefore, do not go beyond Level 30.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Akeche View Post
    Well... you need to spent 21 points into any of the pet souls in order to retain their usefulness. Since past Level 30, all Lesser Pets no longer receive higher ranks and therefore, do not go beyond Level 30.
    That's what I was wondering, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Akeche View Post
    Thats useful information. So they arn't a too good to pass up extra at higher levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Semirhage View Post
    Thats useful information. So they arn't a too good to pass up extra at higher levels.
    Nope past 30 and with 0 in RNG the boar becomes useless and not much more then walking bacon.

-Soon A developer term that is never as "soon" as you want it to be.

Soulwalker

yup, past 31 the pet is worthless. So either spec points to get greater pet or pick another soul.

Plane Touched

Pet classes can help the more difficult to solo with Souls until ~30 when they come into their own and solo fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Darturion View Post
    Pet classes can help the more difficult to solo with Souls until ~30 when they come into their own and solo fine.
    ^^ This. I think thats why they have it set up like this, souls like archon, purifier, bard etc where it would be a slow, tedious or really difficult process to level up alone gets a little helper to get them started if they want. Then by lvl 30 most people have their core skills and can make it alone so the pets stop leveling unless you invest heavily in a pet tree, its a good system I think. Just kind of a clusterf*ck in newbieville when everyone has a pet of some kind lol.

Shadowlander

Too accessible, can agree with.

Too good... depends on the class. Ranger ones feels a bit too good for how easy it is to get. Necros seem about where they should be. Elementalists get shafted, the rock pet is good til level 10-15ish, then becomes a giant PoS. Even if you spec for it.

Soulwalker

I don't mean to whine, but most of the 'optimal' levelling speccs i've looked at seem to be very pet focused. Even if its just 'take this soul, free pet!'

I'd hope that there could in future be some equal alternative for players that don't relish having to worry about a smelly boar or skeleton or cat or farie. Since it does seem that it is perhaps too good a bonus for so little to pass up in most builds.

Ranged Rogues
    Warriors (when looking at a soul that gave a bonus for Champion and (I don't even remember.. the one that coats thier blades with fire and lightning..) it seemed that a spirit beast was the best 'bonus' by miles.

I worry that pets have been made far too appealing as a low investment perk, and that it may hurt build variety. Since they are generally competing with 'slightly differant attack that may or may not be 3% better than what you have.

Anyone else agree?

I think they're a great helper for questing, especially lower level, and after that... Which is why they are in all the leveling builds.

You seem to be generally just not like the 'premium' leveling specs, which, take away the pets, might or might not become more homogeneous. I'm sure people would settle on the third spec being the one with this buff, or that heal and we'd be in the same situation, except you wouldn't be 'forced' to play with a pet.

So, in summary, don't play with a pet.

Ranged Rogues

Anyone else agree?
    I honestly rarely use pets, i do not like them, they aggro mobs while following you, mess up your rotation ect.
    I have witnessed what you have committed in that area.

"Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil"

The Code of Druss the Legend

Soulwalker

Did you actually, I don't know, try them to see if they're somehow unbalanced? Pets are nice 0-point abilites for the utility they provide (being able to occupy enemies and provide a bit of damage) but they're pretty weak overall, even before 30. Aside from their ability to "tank" (which really only applies to Warrior/Rogue/Mage) a mob for a short duration I can get comparable damage boosts by selecting a different soul on my Warrior (Such as Riftblade for the critical dot buff, or the flat 5% damage boost that comes from Warlock (IIRC)).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast