+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rolling First Character

Default Rolling First Character

As the Rift update bar slowly moves across from left to right, I'll be productive and "introduce" myself to the forums.

Lets just say I've played my fair share of MMOs, and I'm quite excited about Rift. I'll be honest, I only first heard of rift a few weeks ago and was stunned I hadn't heard about it sooner seeing as how long ago it was announced.

I'm looking to roll on the Guardians faction, seeing as I was a die hard Horde fan. I've looked over all the callings & classes, souls etc and with all the different possibilities I'm having a hard time setting myself on one calling. I also would appreciate if anybody could give me some servers that they are on and the guardian faction that is active and has a chat not filled with moronic pre-pubescent kids.

Anything helps, really.. all advice on the game and tips would be great as I plan on committing quite some time to this game.

Cheers

-Choppy
    www.symbionguild.com

well first off, Defiants are generally considered the Rift equivalent to WoW's Horde.

But if you're still interested in the Guardians, and don't mind the lovely que lines on the server, I'm on Sunrest and would love to help out with what ever you might need.
    Sunrest is a PvP-RP server. I'm not really an RPer myself, but the RP servers have a tendency to drive away the more immature audience, which the PvP servers seem to attract. Given that I enjoy the open world PvP aspects of the game, this seemed like a good fit. So thats where my buddies and I rolled. (Thanks RPers for being sympathetic to our plight and welcoming us few non-RP types to your servers )

My characters name is Owen, so if you roll Guardians on Sunrest, feel free to hit me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    well first off, Defiants are generally considered the Rift equivalent to WoW's Horde.

But if you're still interested in the Guardians, and don't mind the lovely que lines on the server, I'm on Sunrest and would love to help out with what ever you might need.
    Sunrest is a PvP-RP server. I'm not really an RPer myself, but the RP servers have a tendency to drive away the more immature audience, which the PvP servers seem to attract. Given that I enjoy the open world PvP aspects of the game, this seemed like a good fit. So thats where my buddies and I rolled. (Thanks RPers for being sympathetic to our plight and welcoming us few non-RP types to your servers )

My characters name is Owen, so if you roll Guardians on Sunrest, feel free to hit me up.
    Ah, I read over my original post and realized that I left out the part where I was supposed to say "So I'd like to change it up a bit, since I've been horde all throughout my WoW adventures."

I will keep Sunrest in mind and I wrote down your IGN so if I do decided to roll on Sunrest I will definitely hit you up. I do like the idea of a mature audience yet I could see myself getting frustrated with long Qs.

Oh well, my progress bar says I got 2 hours to think it over so I'll see!
    Last edited by Choppy; 02-28-2011 at 06:50 PM.
    www.symbionguild.com

ugh.. Apparently you can only edit a post within one minute of posting.
    so heres the second part i forgot to include.

Every calling has the ability to fill virtually any role in the game.
    I personally play as a Cleric, and as such i can melee DPS moderately well, ranged DPS as good or better than others, my heals are second to none, and later on in the game (as some of you from open might remember) I'll be one of the best tanks available.
    And this applies to all the callings.
    I've seen a Warrior deal huge ranged magic damage, Mages run as main heal for their group, and Rogues tank better than most Warriors. No matter what you roll as, you'll always have incredible versatility.

So it's really up to you. I'd pick the aspect of MMORPG game play you enjoy most, and roll with the calling that excels in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    ugh.. Apparently you can only edit a post within one minute of posting.
    so heres the second part i forgot to include.

Every calling has the ability to fill virtually any role in the game.
    I personally play as a Cleric, and as such i can melee DPS moderately well, ranged DPS as good or better than others, my heals are second to none, and later on in the game (as some of you from open might remember) I'll be one of the best tanks available.
    And this applies to all the callings.
    I've seen a Warrior deal huge ranged magic damage, Mages run as main heal for their group, and Rogues tank better than most Warriors. No matter what you roll as, you'll always have incredible versatility.

So it's really up to you. I'd pick the aspect of MMORPG game play you enjoy most, and roll with the calling that excels in that area.
    Interesting, I knew there was diversity but never would have thought it was to the extent that a rogue could main tank.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.. I'm looking into both Clerics and Mages. Only thing turning me off from mages is I've seen people complaining they are very underpowered and very difficult to level until a certain level where AoE becomes viable.
    www.symbionguild.com

I would have to agree, at least slightly, with that general statement.

I rolled a Mage first, because I am just a magic slinger kind of person when it comes to video games. It was nice, and everything seemed fine, but you really need to understand the game mechanics a little bit more to play a mage. Clerics were amazingly fun and so was warrior actually. (Riftblade is a Mage/Warrior Hybrid in my opinion)

If it's your first character, I would recommend using a Warrior or a Cleric, or even a Rogue. But if you really want to be a Mage, go for the Elementalist soul first. It has power, a tank pet, and a few defensive spells that really help out. Archon is good for CC and Support, Dominator is CC God, and Pyro is decent damage. Stormcaller is a great combo of damage and some basic CC that really meshes well with Elementalist.
    [Insert witty comment here, followed by chuckles and admiration for me.]

Quote Originally Posted by Delimeat567 View Post
    I would have to agree, at least slightly, with that general statement.

I rolled a Mage first, because I am just a magic slinger kind of person when it comes to video games. It was nice, and everything seemed fine, but you really need to understand the game mechanics a little bit more to play a mage. Clerics were amazingly fun and so was warrior actually. (Riftblade is a Mage/Warrior Hybrid in my opinion)

If it's your first character, I would recommend using a Warrior or a Cleric, or even a Rogue. But if you really want to be a Mage, go for the Elementalist soul first. It has power, a tank pet, and a few defensive spells that really help out. Archon is good for CC and Support, Dominator is CC God, and Pyro is decent damage. Stormcaller is a great combo of damage and some basic CC that really meshes well with Elementalist.
    How about the warlock soul? I've been looking into it, and one of my regular characters I enjoyed raiding/arena with was my trusty lock.
    www.symbionguild.com

+ Reply to Thread