+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69

Thread: Twisting as a mechanic

  1. #1
    Champion of Telara Ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,199

    Default Twisting as a mechanic

    I have been posting in several threads in the class forums mostly about multi classing and reavers. It occured to me that no one had mentioned twisting yet? It might have come up in the bards thread but I'm staying out of that one.

    In DAoC playing my pally I could tank multiple mobs and twist 5 chants at once. If a paladin is finally announced I would love to see this mechanic reintroduced. I would also like to see it on the Reaver class. Twisting Debuffs and AoE /DD would be an interesting way of holding mobs attention.

    What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple Mirander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    131

    Default

    I never played a Bard back in EQ, so I can't really comment directly on the merits of twisting.

    That being said, I don't know if the devs are going to be particularly keen to implement carpal tunnel as a game mechanic

  3. #3
    Rift Chaser Lothair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Trippin' the Rift
    Posts
    373

    Default

    I especially enjoyed the twisting mechanism in DAoC on the Pally - especially with the lack of actual controlled attacks / positionals it really got you involved in the fight. Also used this mechanic on a Chosen in Warhammer, and I thought it worked well in that game as well. I would like to see something similar on one or more of the classes in Rift.

  4. #4
    Champion of Telara Elth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Twisting buffs is great fun. I'm not very familiar with bots or macro's but wouldn't twisting buffs be easy to replicate by bots/macros'?

    I would not only love to see twisting but also combo's from abilities. I don't mean Age of Conan style combos, but more like the Gambit system from teh LotrO warden class. Use X debuff ability followed by Y special attack for extra effect. Maybe you could chain 3 or 4 abilities together with each doing something different per ability chained.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Liziana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,415

    Default

    Yes, twisting has been mentioned in the Bard thread...cos that's what Bards do best! Unfortunately I was one of those who eventually suffered carpal tunnel syndrome....really don't want that again, but if other folks don't mind that's fine by me
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

  6. #6
    Champion of Telara Ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirander View Post
    I never played a Bard back in EQ, so I can't really comment directly on the merits of twisting.

    That being said, I don't know if the devs are going to be particularly keen to implement carpal tunnel as a game mechanic
    I guess they could give us a hybrid system. Kind of a cross between Eq/daoc and Aion. Allow you to have 2 buffs debuffs running at once but have them on an 8 second cool down so that once you turn them off they persist for 8 seconds allowing you to twist.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Hanlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nightmares
    Posts
    2,729

    Default

    Or maybe the buffs / debuffs are triggered by attacks?

    Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

  8. #8
    Ascendant Kula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    I always enjoyed twisting as a game mechanic (I mouse-twisted hehe). One of the parts I enjoyed about being a bard was the completely different game mechanic of twisting and being able to cast while running. Remember though that twisting was not intended and that EQ's bardcode was such a bowl of spaghetti that it made it difficult to work with.

  9. #9
    Plane Walker irongamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Twisting was fun, but I would like to see a more deliberate implementation of it. The system in EQ felt more like just a quirk of the buff not dropping right after changing the song. Something a little more intentional feeling would be nice.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Kula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irongamer View Post
    Twisting was fun, but I would like to see a more deliberate implementation of it. The system in EQ felt more like just a quirk of the buff not dropping right after changing the song. Something a little more intentional feeling would be nice.
    I tend to agree with a more deliberate implementation. It never really made sense to me that you could use a percussion, string, and horn song together with a voice. String, percussion, and voice together is doable but voice and horn? hmmm...

  11. #11
    Plane Walker irongamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I especially enjoyed the twisting mechanism in DAoC on the Pally - especially with the lack of actual controlled attacks / positionals it really got you involved in the fight. Also used this mechanic on a Chosen in Warhammer, and I thought it worked well in that game as well. I would like to see something similar on one or more of the classes in Rift.
    Yeah, the mechanic has shown up in other titles. I also played a paladin in DAoC and a Chosen (love the look of their gear) for a while. The mechanic has been around. I think we will see it in some form or another in Rift. Thanks for bringing those up, I had forgot about both of them.

  12. #12
    Champion of Telara Ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irongamer View Post
    Twisting was fun, but I would like to see a more deliberate implementation of it. The system in EQ felt more like just a quirk of the buff not dropping right after changing the song. Something a little more intentional feeling would be nice.
    I think twisting on pallys in DAoC was the intended mechanic.

  13. #13
    Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Sornin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Twisting is an unnecessary mechanic, in that the effort and tedium required for the benefit could be greatly reduced without reducing the need for player intelligence and skill.

    All twisting allows one to do is maintain a few (usually two to four, depending on the game) buffs of short duration by hammering a sequence of keys. Or, for players who are not masochists, relying on a simple looping macro to do it for them. In Warhammer Online, there is actually an add-on that basically will twist for you, and it is perfectly legal.

    So, since twisting is achieved simply by hammering a sequence of keys over and over, or by an add-on, or by using a macro, why not remove the tedium? It is sufficient to make it so that a class intended to twist can maintain X number of buffs concurrently, where "X" is some number, for an infinite duration, and that activating another beyond the limit removes the oldest.

    This does not reduce any of the strategy of choosing which buffs to use at any given time, it simply removes the tedium of doing it repeatedly. If a player finds that he always uses the same three buffs, he can just activate those and forget about constantly refreshing them, which will allow him to focus on more interesting things.

  14. #14
    Ascendant Hanlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nightmares
    Posts
    2,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sornin View Post
    Twisting is an unnecessary mechanic, in that the effort and tedium required for the benefit could be greatly reduced without reducing the need for player intelligence and skill.

    All twisting allows one to do is maintain a few (usually two to four, depending on the game) buffs of short duration by hammering a sequence of keys. Or, for players who are not masochists, relying on a simple looping macro to do it for them. In Warhammer Online, there is actually an add-on that basically will twist for you, and it is perfectly legal.

    So, since twisting is achieved simply by hammering a sequence of keys over and over, or by an add-on, or by using a macro, why not remove the tedium? It is sufficient to make it so that a class intended to twist can maintain X number of buffs concurrently, where "X" is some number, for an infinite duration, and that activating another beyond the limit removes the oldest.

    This does not reduce any of the strategy of choosing which buffs to use at any given time, it simply removes the tedium of doing it repeatedly. If a player finds that he always uses the same three buffs, he can just activate those and forget about constantly refreshing them, which will allow him to focus on more interesting things.

    I got that addon for my chosen then macrod it to 3 (ravage, the attack I spammed) so it would always be twisting.

    Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

  15. #15
    Ascendant Liziana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sornin View Post
    Twisting is an unnecessary mechanic, in that the effort and tedium required for the benefit could be greatly reduced without reducing the need for player intelligence and skill.

    All twisting allows one to do is maintain a few (usually two to four, depending on the game) buffs of short duration by hammering a sequence of keys. Or, for players who are not masochists, relying on a simple looping macro to do it for them. In Warhammer Online, there is actually an add-on that basically will twist for you, and it is perfectly legal.

    So, since twisting is achieved simply by hammering a sequence of keys over and over, or by an add-on, or by using a macro, why not remove the tedium? It is sufficient to make it so that a class intended to twist can maintain X number of buffs concurrently, where "X" is some number, for an infinite duration, and that activating another beyond the limit removes the oldest.

    This does not reduce any of the strategy of choosing which buffs to use at any given time, it simply removes the tedium of doing it repeatedly. If a player finds that he always uses the same three buffs, he can just activate those and forget about constantly refreshing them, which will allow him to focus on more interesting things.
    I don't agree. Macros or add ons for twisting were just lazy. The art of twisting properly was twisting in the best skill when needed, not just having a set of 4 on constant loop. But then the only game I've ever "twisted" on is EQ, not sure what the classes were like in Warhammer.
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts