+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why are rogues so popular?

Shadowlander

Default Why are rogues so popular?

Last night I checked Guild Roster and saw a common scenario, there were 3 mages, 3 warriors, 3 clerics and more than 10 rogues online. I ask you, why are rogues so popular atm? Someone on guild replied me that rogues have a lot of interesting playstyles, hence their popularity. That's true, but what about clerics? Why aren't they as popular as rogues considering they can assume most types of roles?

I don't know about others, but I dislike clerics cause their melee looks boring in comparison to other melee, and all their specs have boring mana management. I love mages, but I can see why several guys don't want to play a guy wearing a dress... and warriors, while great imo, have the most restricted roles that they can assume, they are either dps or tank, and that's it. What do you think?

Rogues feel like the best balanced class for solo play and leveling. Then you can also do different things in PVP with the same class.

Bard soul to me, feels like the absolute best choice for solo leveling through PVE content. Bard and a Ranger pet...and you should be golden.

So that's one reason.

All the other Callings seem deficient in one way or the other, or need too much micromanagement to be effective. Such as a rotation that involves 5 or 6 different powers.

Take the Warlock for example...you press about 3 different dots on EACH target, then maybe fill with some 2 second cast spells...then press a different key to explode stuff...then maybe press something else to get back health...

Rogues do the same damage and kill in the same time with about 3 powers.
    >POP< behind the target, Pres press press...Press finisher...build combo...press finisher...dead.
    Next target.

So people are going for the class with much less fuss and bother involved. And they always will.
    The day of the 30 ability bar is over, in my opinion.

Plane Touched

Because there is zero reason to be anything but a Rogue. Highest RDPS, fastest movement speed, lowest GCD can tank+heal. They do everything. World of Rogues woot woot.

Telaran

an even more simple reason, hunter-type and rogue-type characters have always been popular, often the MOST popular choices (especially in that other game...)

since ranger, marksman, and various roguish souls are under 'rogue', it adds up

Quote Originally Posted by Jonymac View Post
    Because there is zero reason to be anything but a Rogue. Highest RDPS, fastest movement speed, lowest GCD can tank+heal. They do everything. World of Rogues woot woot.
    Bards do not main heal well. They have few ways to handle spike damage well or hard hits. As support yes, but not main healing especially on any fight where damage might spike up suddenly.

Your bias is showing again, obviously you have little to add beyond complaining about your own hatred of rogues.

Rogues can tank, dps, and support, however in the tanking and support areas they require a bit more effort hen say a warrior tank as most of their mitigation is VERY active and not passive and support their buffs are short duration meaning alot of micro management.

Warriors easily dps and tank.
    clerics dps, tank, and heal.
    mages dps and heal.

This division of roles allows for more availablity of grouping and less trouble on things like invasions and such by forming a larger pool of tanks and healers unlike some games where the pool is relatively shallow.

Rogues are popular because of the fact that their playstyles vary VERY VERY widely also. Ranged, melee, support range or support melee and sabo give a very odd mix of styles allowing for finding a soul combo you enjoy fairly easily as the calling as a whole is not locked into a single combat style.

General of Telara I Fear Kittens's Avatar

It truely is the ''jack of all trades''
    "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall piss you off." Norse Proverb
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    When it's ready...... You wouldn't want it released before it was ready, right? And you wouldn't want us to hold it back after it was ready, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollolololol View Post
    I am honored to have made your /ignore list

I did everything during beta and ranged rouge is very easy to get good dps and cc with.
    Close combat rouge, a little harder but still very very good.
    Mage is harder to become good at but possible.
    I guess those are the reasons.
    Defiant, since I trust in knowledge.
    Defiant, since religion is false.

Rift Disciple

I don't know what you all are talking about. Rogues suck. They are a horrible class, by far the worst class ever. Absolutely no fun what-so-ever.

Nothing to see here folks, this thread needs to be deleted.

I hear everyone is playing clerics. Yeah... clerics are the best class to play.....

Leveling speed with a rogue is amazing. Bard is an awesome support character and you WILL start needing a support healer when you hit the 30s range because they make a world of difference. Add the fact that they provide useful buffs, as well as a tank spec, as well as respectable (if not slightly OP) DPS...and the answer is pretty clear.
    50 Cleric - Silkweb Defiant - <1.21 Gigawatts>

As others have said:

- Easy to level a rogue class
    - So many play options. Tank, melee dps, ranged dps, support (buff/heals)
    - the whole "assassin" and stealth option. Wannabe gankers do it from stealth
    - Access to one of the currently most OP souls in game (Sab). To hear guild rogues talking about 700 crits at lvl 12 and 1k crits in Iron Toimbs at lvl 17 is a bit QQ seeing how mages critting for 1k at lvl 35 was deemed OP not to long ago. Admittedly many of the people that do play sab know its OP and expect a nerf sometime soon but will gladly take advantage of the broken mechanics for now.

And yes I do play a mage (ie heal). I also play a rogue when I actually want to dps.
    Last edited by Datku; 02-28-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Did you ask your rogue guildmates why they decided on Rogues? Or perhaps they were alts?

Rogues are traditionally in greater number in PvP because of stealth.

Here in PvE they are actually decent.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredstar View Post
    Bards do not main heal well. They have few ways to handle spike damage well or hard hits. As support yes, but not main healing especially on any fight where damage might spike up suddenly.

Your bias is showing again, obviously you have little to add beyond complaining about your own hatred of rogues.

Rogues can tank, dps, and support, however in the tanking and support areas they require a bit more effort hen say a warrior tank as most of their mitigation is VERY active and not passive and support their buffs are short duration meaning alot of micro management.

Warriors easily dps and tank.
    clerics dps, tank, and heal.
    mages dps and heal.

This division of roles allows for more availablity of grouping and less trouble on things like invasions and such by forming a larger pool of tanks and healers unlike some games where the pool is relatively shallow.

Rogues are popular because of the fact that their playstyles vary VERY VERY widely also. Ranged, melee, support range or support melee and sabo give a very odd mix of styles allowing for finding a soul combo you enjoy fairly easily as the calling as a whole is not locked into a single combat style.
    This ^^

Every post I read from this fine fellow is great - I wish we had more posters who knew what they were talking about...

Rogue IS the strongest soul.

Why play anything else?

Jag
    Soulwalker

Rogues do it from behind. DUH!

Soulwalker

For me, at least, the Bard soul is the one I've wanted to play (at least as my 1st char). Just something about the support role interests me.
    I have one of each class, but my Bard is my main.
    http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-rift/3195_8ac2366855f53e7b.png

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast