+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fastest mode of Levelling? Questing vs Dungeon Vs WarFront Vs Grinding?

Plane Touched

Lightbulb Fastest mode of Levelling? Questing vs Dungeon Vs WarFront Vs Grinding?

Questing
    - It's always a long walk. Quests might not bunch up in one single area for your personal convenience.
    - Rift Invasion and Opp Faction Invasions wipe out your Quests NPCs

Dungeon
    - Can't find the Auto queue for Dungeon button? Maybe I'm too tired.

WarFront
    - Easy to locate auto group up button
    - If your calling class/ soul combo is not PvP friendly, then it's too bad
    - Defiants exploiting the terrain and LOS in "The Black Garden".

Grinding
    - People might mistaken you for a bot
    - It's a lazy way to circle the mob/nodes spots in a fixed path
    - Gets you more plat/gold than the above 3 options.
    - Plain boring

Soulwalker

Warfronts seems to be the way to go up until 20 at least. While tearing through quests when you get bored/frustrated.

I did find that the quest xp/rewards were starting to not really be worth it towards 20 but I wanted to stay on top of my quest lines.

Telaran

ok, so more then enough times multiple quests from a hub can send you to an area, if you dont like the idea of the quest npcs dying to opposing faction then go onto a pve server.

as for a dungeon finder...there has been alot of people here in beta who said they didn't like it since it in WoW removed interactions between the players, there isn't an auto-que, you need to either form your own party or join one someone is starting, its not that hard once you try.

line of sighting is a tactical strategy, thats normal in pvp where you have to position yourself so the enemy cant easily run out of range or sight, i play a mage so i know this very well. besides, if played right ANY soul is viable for warfront and will get a nice boost if you pick up the pvp soul.

grinding sure doesn't give me more money being almost every quest gives you some gold and instances drop quite a bit of gold as well, warfronts is the only exception to that but if you properly loot the bodies of those you kill you can get some.

i wonder if you realy play the game being that you forgot about getting a solid group and go rift hunting, you can get some good exp/equipment from that, but not that much gold.

the reason you can't find the auto-group button for dungeons is because... there is none :P
    not because you're tired!
    i LOVE this game!

When the game first came out you couldn't quest there were too many people so I did: Grind to 10 - pvp to 16 - do the IT dungeon till 21 - pvp till 22 - Do miserable guardian dungeon in silverwood till 26 - DSM till 30 - Other miserable guardian dungeon that forces defiant players to run THROUGH 4 cities to get there - currently grinding Kings reach at 37, proabably do that till 39 then go to the next dungeon.

Generally exp goes Grinding > Dungeons > Rifting > Questing > PvP, however grinding is boring and gives terrible gear. I've been going with the chain dungeon route which is great for gear, and saves from mob competition/getting ganked. Currently dungeon mobs give 500-700 exp per kill, Rift mobs give 200-400, and Grinding gives around 240 for my level.

P.S I haven't gotten to sleep much =(
    http://i.imgur.com/86jTP.png
    Cerberus Officer Join us you know you want to~ Guild Info
    Glove / Cleric / Defiant / Briarcliff PvP

Soulwalker

How you level depends alot on what class/spec you are...DPS specced rogues can mow through things very fast, if you can handle tedious grinding it is indeed faster then both questing and war fronts from 20 plus. Not saying rogue is the only class this is optimal for... it's just what I play.

Dungeons, I play a lot, I passed the zerg of head starters and the guild I was going to play with decided to stick it out on a server with incredibly long ques... so I have no experience in regard to this form of leveling. I have heard the experience rate is really high but without personally doing an instance, I can't say. Either way, it's unlikely your going to have a group at your disposal at all times.

Warfronts - I flew through 15-19 but like I mentioned before I wasn't able to run back to back as a way to level since there were a total of 6 people in the 20-29 bracket. It was fun while it lasted but I still think if I were to have just been grinding it would have been much faster.

Knowing Grinding is faster then Questing and Warfronts what I am curious is what comes in second... Grinding is way in front of Questing though. Just look at how much time you spend traveling in comparison to how much experience is rewarded, now go kill 10 things as quickly as you can, assuming your solo soul setup is dps based you will be dissapointed with the out come.

Banned

Questing could be good except the rewards do not scale with level after about level 15 or 20 (outside of gear, talking XP and gold really), and the devs that designed the quests in this game seemed to LOVE making you run around 'collecting' items that sit on the ground requiring you to kill mobs then once everything is dead, then you can collect it. The problem with this is that in almost all instances, there are not nearly enough of them for a party or any more than 1 person. It seems like these quests were designed for ONE PERSON to be doing them, alone. This is an MMORPG, emphasis on MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER, they should be sufficient for multiple people to complete the quest AT THE SAME TIME, IN THE SAME AREA, not require 1 at a time. And it encourages bad mannerisms like stealing someone else's collect item when he's burning down the guard to get it. Not cool.

And since those quests are incredibly pervasive and in important parts of the quest tree, it massively slows down leveling.

Warfronts give horrible exp unless you have an extremely solid group that can finish them in < 10 mins every game (with a victory). And you aren't really gearing up, the PvP gear is horrible compared to instance and quartermaster gear (considering you basically get the latter for free as you level as opposed to spending everything you've earned to get a set of gear you're already outleveling).

Instancing is quite amazing if you have a very strong group that can run them without stopping and killing every encounter rapidly. If you ever wipe, you're probably exping slower than questing. If you do it right, you should never stop, you should feel slightly uncomfortable and be using CDs to keep from wiping, the bleeding edge of speed. Finish, reset, repeat. You get ridiculous exp for the levels that this method works. And it works somewhat well up to the 40s, mainly 44-45 where LH gives terrible exp per run. This needs to be a solid team, very high DPS, strong healing, and a solid tank, and you all need to grind at the same time to stay the same level. So it's not for everyone, and PUGs tend to be terrible except when they're just grind groups subbing a dps/support role.

Grinding is by far the fastest, and by far the most boring. You can mix this with questing, as later on there are so many questing hubs that quests aren't too interconnected, and you can pick up quests that involve killing. In higher areas, the walks to do quests, if you kill everything, will give you a lot of exp as well. But finding a strong grinding area/route is not easy. You need to be able to pull, kill a group, and then continue without any downtime at all, or be able to burst down a single target nearly instantly. This is amazing solo but even better if you can get a good tank and healer and 3-man grind in very dense areas. The exp is cut a bit but you get party bonus and the ability to pull everything in sight and nuke it down.

Just pick something you want to do and do it. Unless you're very well built and know what you're doing, solo aoe grinding is going to probably result in more deaths than levels. Solo, questing is probably best. If you have a team of people who are about the same level and fill the roles of an instance group, run instances.

I find the Total War style of leveling works out the best, it is sort of a mix of grinding and questing.

Basically get your quests, and on the way to them SLAUGHTER EVERYTHING WITHIN RANGE.
    On the way back? SLAUGHTER EVERYTHING IN RANGE.
    Last edited by Shatteredstar; 02-28-2011 at 06:46 AM.

Forming Public Groups in open world to complete quests is the fastest leveling in my view.

You get more XP per mob killed in a group than you do solo. I think it can be as much as twice more if I'm not mistaken, but at least 30% more.

Factor in that you get XP even for Mobs that you did not hit while the other members of your group are killing stuff.

You can put together a public group and go to a quest area to kill X mobs...kill those mobs in a fraction of the time and get more XP than if you did it yourself.

Then you all go turn in the quest....and then move to the next quest. It is SOOO fast!

The thing is, most people have not figured out the Public Grouping and still feel that it somehow hurts their loot, or their leveling rate. When in fact it DRAMATICALLY speeds it up!

Something to consider when primarily leveling via rifting and warfronts: you will get very little in the way of gear upgrades and money. You can get planar gear, but it takes time to build up the currency needed to purchase it. The same thing goes with PvP and Favor. Also, there isn't much selection of PvP gear at lower levels.

With instances, grinding and questing you will get more money and possible gear upgrades. I recommending doing a little bit of everything as the mood suites you. I find I have more fun that way. ;-)

Rift Disciple

it depends on your spec, if your a tank/healer, dungeons are the fastest, if yoru a dps, questing/grinding is the fastest from what i have seen.
    Proper Grammar isnt hard to use, so please at least use proper punctuation, since its the only difference between: Helping your Uncle, Jack, off a horse; and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

A mix between 3, questing, dungeon, warfront - grinding is bad because you have actual quests which you have to grind.
    <Mushroom Mayhem>
    - Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
    Click for my build!

Rift Disciple

I do a bit of a mix...

Basically - Ill go to a quest hub and gather all the quests. I'll start to go towards that area and kill the mobs/continue along my quests. Ill always keep an eye on my map and look for rifts/invasions in my area. When they appear, I run right over to them for the fun factor/planarites and XP. Once the rift is sealed, I go back to finish my quest - killing everything in sight, then do a trade in, rinse, repeat.

I find Warfront gives "ok" XP but its obviously way slower than doing the other ways of "grinding".... I haven't done much in the way of instances yet so I can't really comment.

Soulwalker

I'll do a mix of questing/Rifts. Hopping into a quest node and doing all the quests available in a batch and then turning them in goes by pretty fast, but couple that with grabbing any nearby rifts or getting involved in an invasion is a solid way to get extra planar currency and decent xp.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Kifimbo View Post
    it depends on your spec, if your a tank/healer, dungeons are the fastest, if yoru a dps, questing/grinding is the fastest from what i have seen.
    I found your post hysterical after reading your Sig.

+ Reply to Thread