+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: To devs: Battle-mage...

Default To devs: Battle-mage...

I know there are prolly tons of threads about this, but you NEED a battle mage soul, nightblade/riftblade is not a battle mage, they are just warriors with enchanted weps. Even if the battle-mage was broke into 2 souls.
    I have witnessed what you have committed in that area.

"Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil"

The Code of Druss the Legend

Soulwalker

Not a bad idea, like a mage with super weapon enchants and mega buffed armor. FX galore.

Of course he will be hitting for 5 damage (+1 from the enchant) to go with the mage theme of "equal opportunity suckage"

Give the riftblade a couple of cast-time spells like Cinder Blast? and I love it!
    PVPimpin' Ain't PVEasy!

Holla Holla Get Dolla

Soulwalker

My favorite mage class ever was the Herald of Xotli in Age of Conan

What is not to love about a guy in a robe using a huge 2 handed weapon and shooting fire out all over the place.

I think the idea of a battle-mage would have been superb for this game. A Mage tank that uses spells for mitigation and a 2 handed or shield 1 handed weapon while wearing a robe woulda been awesome

Soulwalker

Mb mage with 2 shields ?

I was really hoping the mage calling would have a tank soul. I think that would have been super fun to play.
    Undecided

Really you already have some good options for creating a "battle mage". A Riftblade/Reaver spec has access to several attacks that are all magic damage while still wearing plate, using a 2-hander and generally being tough. You also have the option of mixing abilities from the cleric souls to also create another type of battle mage. For example, you can make a justicar/inquisitor or justicar/sentinel build that blends casted abilities with melee attacks (while also being very durable and using a 2-hander).

Rift Master

I was a little surprised there wasnt.

Riftblades are magi-knights.
    But there is no battle/melee mage.

Archon is closest, but not really.

Imagine instead of casts, all those archon moves were melee attacks.
    Last edited by sarianne; 02-28-2011 at 11:23 AM.

chloromancer is our "tank" mage. It has the most survivablilty. Combine with Necro and you have a tankish mage. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfire1 View Post
    chloromancer is our "tank" mage. It has the most survivablilty. Combine with Necro and you have a tankish mage. ;)
    have you actually played a chloro? chloro dies easier than most other mages.

warlock has a lot more survivability. only defensive thing a chloro has is living shell and honestly, it's garbage.

Riftblade and Nightblade are the different flavours of battlemage.

Cabalist or Inquisitor mixed with Justicar would also create a cast-heavy melee character.

Just because these aren't in the mage calling doesn't mean they're not exactly what a battlemage should be:
    Spell-based damage? Check.
    Heavier Armor? Check.
    Meleeing? Check.
    Last edited by Arieste; 02-28-2011 at 12:01 PM.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Trevalon View Post
    My favorite mage class ever was the Herald of Xotli in Age of Conan

What is not to love about a guy in a robe using a huge 2 handed weapon and shooting fire out all over the place.

I think the idea of a battle-mage would have been superb for this game. A Mage tank that uses spells for mitigation and a 2 handed or shield 1 handed weapon while wearing a robe woulda been awesome
    Loved that class too thumbs up for a battle mage like that ;)

Soulwalker

Default i think people are misunderstanding 'battlemage' from the op

the 'hybrids' you are naming are indeed melee characters using magic but that isnt what is being asked for.
    there is not a mage who melees predominantly. so yes we could play a warrior that uses magic, or a rogue that uses magic, we cannot be a mage who uses melee, nor a paper tank. that is i believe what is meant in battle-mage. a mage in cloth using magic to melee.

it would be an interesting concept

Ascendant

If only mages had a melee tree

Rift Disciple

I personally would love to see a soul equivalent to Shadowknight from eq2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphre View Post
    the 'hybrids' you are naming are indeed melee characters using magic but that isnt what is being asked for.
    there is not a mage who melees predominantly. so yes we could play a warrior that uses magic, or a rogue that uses magic, we cannot be a mage who uses melee, nor a paper tank. that is i believe what is meant in battle-mage. a mage in cloth using magic to melee.

it would be an interesting concept
    This is exactly what I was looking for. The other souls mentioned are indeed melee souls that use magic for damage, but I want a magic soul (mage calling) that uses melee for damage. The Herald of Xotli from Age of Conan was one of the best class designs for a battle-mage that I've seen in any game.
    Undecided

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast