+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reason to play mage over rogue?

Shadowlander

Default Reason to play mage over rogue?

So I'd like to hear some opinions on why should I play a mage over a rogue?

Currently testing both deep necro/lock and vice versa, I see that it takes way too much time for me to put up dots and such to end up doing 25-30 dmg per dot (level 25 currently). The time usually isnt a problem, because DoTs are meant to be that way. But the damage is ridiculously low.

I mean this mostly in PvP.

You could say, Oh, use Soul purge against a 1v1 with a sab, and you'll just heal back. But, by the time I put up my dots, and got enough charge to start soul purging, the sab is half way through his second bomb sequence.

Now, explain to me why is it fair that I have a 2 second cast spell, that does 120 damage, while a sab can put out 5 stacks of bomb, detonate, and deal around 400 with the stacks plus 400 with detonate?

The only reason keeping me from playing a rogue is because I refuse to play the flavor of the month.

General of Telara

if you like going /wrist a lot then by all means play necro/lock in pvp.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
    if you like going /wrist a lot then by all means play necro/lock in pvp.
    Please elaborate or don't post at all if you're gonna reply with that.

Quote Originally Posted by eXult View Post
    Please elaborate or don't post at all if you're gonna reply with that.
    you die alot, and you can't do enough burst to break through healing
    Last edited by Draemos; 02-27-2011 at 08:12 PM.

Shadowlander

And explain to me why nothing is being done about this? Trion cant be just watching and not doing anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Draemos View Post
    you die alot, and you can't do enough burst to break through healing
    This pretty much sums up the current situation.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=41045&dateline=129849  3510
    www.FriendlyFireGaming.net - Home of the Saga clan. Established in 2003

And explain to me why nothing is being done about this? Trion cant be just watching and not doing anything about it.
    probably because the game is 3 days old and hasn't even officially launched yet

Shadowlander

Its been like that since beta 4.

Rift Master

So I'd like to hear some opinions on why should I play a mage over a rogue?

Currently testing both deep necro/lock and vice versa, I see that it takes way too much time for me to put up dots and such to end up doing 25-30 dmg per dot (level 25 currently). The time usually isnt a problem, because DoTs are meant to be that way. But the damage is ridiculously low.

I mean this mostly in PvP.

You could say, Oh, use Soul purge against a 1v1 with a sab, and you'll just heal back. But, by the time I put up my dots, and got enough charge to start soul purging, the sab is half way through his second bomb sequence.

Now, explain to me why is it fair that I have a 2 second cast spell, that does 120 damage, while a sab can put out 5 stacks of bomb, detonate, and deal around 400 with the stacks plus 400 with detonate?

The only reason keeping me from playing a rogue is because I refuse to play the flavor of the month.
    First of all, you only need to cast your instant Dot in PvP... ever. If you are using a 2 second spell, you are doing it wrong. Your attack spell in PvP (I've found through at least 30) is Soul Purge. Period.

This is a full necro with some warlock build. I kill rogues all the time in the codex who come after me. If you want to see my typical scores (after release though I'm still just level 22 cause I been doing other stuff)

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6239/necroi.jpg

Plane Touched

The question should be reason to play anything over Rogue, because I haven't found one yet...

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jonymac View Post
    The question should be reason to play anything over Rogue, because I haven't found one yet...
    No, I'm afraid that if you know how to play whatever job you pick (that is know your souls), they can and do win over rogue, often. (at least what I've experienced though 29 in Beta) After hitting level 16 (live), I haven't lost a one on one with a rogue (before that was a different story though lol)
    Last edited by Xdcc321; 02-27-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Ace

The way things are going, aside from a couple of imbalances likely to be nerfed sooner rather than later, you may just be best off playing what ever seems cool to your imagination rather than trying to pick a class you think is mechanically superior. This is even becoming true for the PVP arena as none of the soul combos are trully superior and frankly they all kinda suck in a way...

If you want to... I dont know. Be cool? Dominator/x/x might be the only reason in my eyes to play mage over rogue in pvp.

Telaran

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Xdcc321 View Post
    No, I'm afraid that if you know how to play whatever job you pick (that is know your souls), they can and do win over rogue, often. (at least what I've experienced though 29 in Beta) After hitting level 16 (live), I haven't lost a one on one with a rogue (before that was a different story though lol)
    Are you playing a rogue?

Telaran

Ok I am not in front of my computer so I don't have the names of the abillities or their exact description but let me explain how I find my mage to be very good.

I am a pyromancer/ele/archon. I have not spent all the points that I want yet but getting there.

OK elementalist and archon are very good with pyro as they boost spell crit and fire damange and also the buffs with archon increasing my int and wisdom is very good. I have a root that doesn't break on damage, Flicker, disarm and a slow. I have pyromance armor which when proc'd resets the cooldown of my Cinderburst and makes it an instant cast (Normally 6sec cast) I have an ability to increase my fire damange buy 10-20% (using charge) so I click that on then instant cast my cinder burst awesome dps. I have another ability that is and instant cast which has a 100% chance to increase my fire damage by 10% I think for 10sec that instant cast is good dps and when I use fireball there is a 30% chance to reset that instant cast cooldown and let me use the next 3 instant casts with no cooldown. In this space I tend to find cinder burst procs a lot now with my fire damaged increased so much also with me standing in my ground of power I kill stufff very very quickly. It also means I can run around instant casting a bit aswell.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast