+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for a cleric build that fits certain criteria

Soulwalker

Default Looking for a cleric build that fits certain criteria

Sorry if this post is overly vague, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if I could get some feedback. I am coming from five years worth of WoW and have never played Rift. Having been dissatisified with Cataclysm I decided to take a friend up on an offer to play Rift. I have a feeling most of you were in a similar situation. Anyway, down to business:

I have been using this class characteristic list as my primary guide.

I want to be a healer, so I am aiming at a Cleric. So as for my likes and dislikes I examined each tree individually. Here are my notes on each soul type:

These I think I will like the most:
    Cabalist: I like AOE a lot.
    Sentinal: I love direct and aoe heals.
    Shaman: I love having helpful buffs for the group.

I am not too sure of these:
    Justicator: I don't plan to tank, but I do like survivability and being able to deal damage and heal at the same time kinda like a WoW retadin. Would this be a waste of a soul if I did not plan on ever tanking?
    Purifier: I would rather heal someone than put a shield on them.
    Inquisitor: I like dots. However I am worried it will go a little overboard like a shadow priest in wow and I will get tunnel vision trying to keep 5 different stacks up on the mob.

I am not sure I will like these:
    Warden: I don't like HOTs.
    Druid: I prefer not to depend on a pet.

To help narrow it down I tend to lean a little closer to ranged classes over melee classes. I want my primary focus to be healing, but also want to hold my own on dps. I don't like killing npc's one at a time, I prefer to pull three are more at a time and kill them all at once. I don't like being "squishy".

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best advice is start up working towards whatever you like but with an open mind to experimentation. I spent quite a while thinking 'yeah that looks great' with the talent calculator only to find that some things that looked subpar were amazingly fun in the game.

Don't forget that in game you get 4 specs and can switch around virtually at will. There is very little chance what you plan now will be your 50 build but that is not a bad thing. We all have our preferences and the beauty is that this game lets you build a class that plays and does what you want, you just might be surprised by it when the shackles come off

I don't recommend Justicar unless you plan to be mostly a melee fighter. But there's a few nice skills for non-melee if you really want them. At level 10, Mien of Honor can be quite useful for a healer cleric.

Shaman buffs are ok, but it's also another melee soul. Your magic dps and healing will be a bit limited.

If you want to focus on party healing, your best bet is to take 2 healing souls of your choice, then if you want add a dps soul or something for the 3rd.
    Last edited by Sylvan; 02-27-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Soulwalker

Druids do not really depend on their pets. It's more symbiotic, but that may be different at higher levels. I only got a Druid to level 19 during the beta. You may actually want to try them out.

As for what you are looking for. Probably Sentinel/Justicar/Warden.

Justicar is very good at taking a beating, does decent damage and heals, and has no issues taking on multiple mobs. It also provides some ranged firepower with Sovereignty and Bolt of Radiance. Plus your Sentinel abilities deal Life damage, and will build your Convictions!

Warden gives a big boost to instant cast spells early in the tree, and this is a big help to Justicar and Sentinel. Really you would probably never have more than 2 hot's since this would be the tree with the least points. And given the solid instant heals Justicar and Sentinel would provide you may never have to use them.

Of course this is only really a build for leveling and pvp during the leveling process. Versatility of that order tends to make one too weak in their intended purpose for endgame raiding, and I can't help but think you would want Templar in the mix at level 50 for pvp.
    Last edited by Bavitz; 02-27-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Soulwalker

During beta I played a Cabalist/Purifier/warden, with 2 roles.
    > Role 1: 80% points in Cabalist, 20% Purifier: Fairly good ranged DPS with Decay/obliterate and survivability with sheilds and heal, and the ability to heal myself and others a bit. Good fun during PVE. You get a couple instant casts/channeled spells, and a lot of DoT.
    > Role 2: Purifier 70%, Warden20% Cabalist 10%: Healer role. A real mana sink, but efficient!

To summarize: with 10 points (level 8) you get Decay and obliterate for the cabalist, + 1 Dot + 1 Aoe/channeled spell. .
    With 4 points in Purifier, you get shield for yourself and the first heal spell.
    With 0 in Warden you still get a HoT which, for free, is great!

For the early game it was very nice, then came the Char wipe

Quote Originally Posted by Bavitz View Post

As for what you are looking for. Probably Sentinel/Justicar/Warden. .....
    Is it possible for you to post an idea of a build in the min teens to 20's to see how you would distribute the points. I am looking at the Calculator and can't seem to figure out how to use the points to best effect. Thanks
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

+ Reply to Thread