+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Trion: The PvP game is great. Please tread carefully with any post-launch "balancing"

Default Trion: The PvP game is great. Please tread carefully with any post-launch "balancing"

Right now, what we have is a very fun, very stable game with great potential. And right now, there's an army of whiners and malcontents coming to the forums to nick-pit and complain about every silly little thing. "Every class is unbalanced". "PvP is broken". Blah blah blah.

This is a crucial time for MMO success. At this point in their launch, almost every other game developer in recent memory was scrambling to fix horrendous problems with their buggy, flailing game. None of them ever fully recovered from huge game-changing early patches, server instability, or just terrible game design.

Not you guys. Your game is genuinely fun, well-balanced, and intriguing.

You're going to hear people scream and whine about PvP. Let me tell you: I was the first on my shard to get the Cleric PvP soul, and I have *loved* PvP so far. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. Sometimes one enemy stomps me into the dirt in ten seconds - other times I hold off half a dozen enemies until reinforcements arrive. People complain when they can't dominate solo, and forget that all player versus player combat is about teamwork. Everyone can contribute, and people that say otherwise are suffering from PEBKAC errors.

What's really the issue here is that people are getting overwhelmed with the flexibility of soul-tweaking. The difference between X points in soul A, versus Y points in soul B can make a significant impact to your competitiveness. But rather than understand this, people are content to scream "imbalance". The truth is that Rift is simply too new a game for people to understand the ebb and flow of PvP soul tinkering.

The gaming landscape is littered with the corpses of games ruined by poor decisions by their dev team. Don't be one of them. I want to be kicking myself in 12 months for not buying a yearly subscription, instead of kicking myself in two months for buying a three month subscription. Ya dig?

So here's hoping that you guys use the same steady hand and good judgment you've exercised so far, and approach "ongoing class balance" with as absolutely minimal a touch as you can muster. Meanwhile, I'll see the rest of you out on the battlefield. I'll be the Cleric you can't kill, whose mighty hammer swings hit with all the impact of a gentle Shiatsu massage.
    Last edited by Dao Jones; 02-27-2011 at 05:31 PM.
    Unrepentant Gaming Community

Bacardi: Rogue (Defiant/Sunrest)
    Dao: Cleric (Defiant/Gnarlwood)

Soulwalker

Default I second

and totally agree. There's a difference between accepting feedback and tweaking a game to run better, smoother, etc. .. and caving to vocal minorities.
    Stick to your guys, Trion!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Dao Jones View Post
    Right now, what we have is a very fun, very stable game with great potential. And right now, there's an army of whiners and malcontents coming to the forums to nick-pit and complain about every silly little thing. "Every class is unbalanced". "PvP is broken". Blah blah blah.

This is a crucial time for MMO success. At this point in their launch, almost every other game developer in recent memory was scrambling to fix horrendous problems with their buggy, flailing game. None of them ever fully recovered from huge game-changing early patches, server instability, or just terrible game design.

Not you guys. Your game is genuinely fun, well-balanced, and intriguing.

You're going to hear people scream and whine about PvP. Let me tell you: I was the first on my shard to get the Cleric PvP soul, and I have *loved* PvP so far. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. Sometimes one enemy stomps me into the dirt in ten seconds - other times I hold off half a dozen enemies until reinforcements arrive. People complain when they can't dominate solo, and forget that all player versus player combat is about teamwork. Everyone can contribute, and people that say otherwise are suffering from PEBKAC errors.

What's really the issue here is that people are getting overwhelmed with the flexibility of soul-tweaking. The difference between X points in soul A, versus Y points in soul B can make a significant impact to your competitiveness. But rather than understand this, people are content to scream "imbalance". The truth is that Rift is simply too new a game for people to understand the ebb and flow of PvP soul tinkering.

The gaming landscape is littered with the corpses of games ruined by poor decisions by their dev team. Don't be one of them. I want to be kicking myself in 12 months for not buying a yearly subscription, instead of kicking myself in two months for buying a three month subscription. Ya dig?

So here's hoping that you guys use the same steady hand and good judgment you've exercised so far, and approach "ongoing class balance" with as absolutely minimal a touch as you can muster. Meanwhile, I'll see the rest of you out on the battlefield. I'll be the Cleric you can't kill, whose mighty hammer swings hit with all the impact of a gentle Shiatsu massage.
    Trion, hire this man!

Quote Originally Posted by Dao Jones View Post
    other times I hold off half a dozen enemies until reinforcements arrive
    You honestly think this is balanced? Why do healer players think that being invincible is fair or fun at all for everyone else? 6 vs 1 should mean insta-death for ANY class.

Quote Originally Posted by uncleFester View Post
    You honestly think this is balanced? Why do healer players think that being invincible is fair or fun at all for everyone else? 6 vs 1 should mean insta-death for ANY class.
    Well they are trying their damnedest to nerf their greatest weakness.

Love to see this type of post compared to most of the all to common whine threads. Loving every aspect of this game so far don't mess with it to much please pay attention to what other games have done and how it has effected them. Prime example swg and the NGE, killed the game your on to something good here don't mess it up.
    Now i expect the typical fanboy comments.

Totally agree. I win and i lose. All of teamplay.

Rift Disciple

+1
    The game looks surprisingly balanced now (lvl 25-35), as far as I can see from world PvP (I play a mage).

Shadowlander

More and more players are getting it, that warfronts are not about the silly charts at the end, but about winning the objectives with teamplay. What good is it to be top in damage and killing blows when you have a meagre 80-90 fav accounting for it?
    I hope this trend continues and the people joining wf's solo will eventually learn that their personal performance was only good when the team won in the end.

Thumbs up I third this! (second was taken)

Dao knows what he is talking about. I'm enjoying the game as it is. PVP and PVE. Dao has seen the rise and fall of many games, and i find his opinion to be very intuitive. Some balancing may be necessary but don't over do it. Keep going the way you are going Trion, and you will have a very successful game in the long run.
    Last edited by YxPyroxY; 02-28-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Soulwalker

I had to log in to agree with you here. It's really encouraging to read a well written, reasonable post giving a really positve and balanced opinion. I am loving the game so far. I am someone who starts an MMO and instantly wants to know what the optimum way to play is, get the right class all set up and start learning, this naturally comes with a lot of forum reading to try and get a gauge of what the classes are like and I can honestly say that was the biggest mistake I made with RIFT. All I have gained from reading the forums so far is doom and gloom on EVERY class written by the people playing them and it's really put me off and made it hard to choose a calling.

What I've taken away is to go and enjoy the game for myself and not worry about what everyone else thinks. If Trion are worth their salt (and so far I have good reason to think they are), the class that I choose will be fine in the end and the most important thing is to have fun and get good at it.

Well done Trion for creating a game which actually made me enjoy the MMO again, a game that made me actually interested in the lore, reading quests instead of just taking them and killing stuff. Keep at it, you're on to a winner and the game isn't even released yet.

Totally agreed. It seems like Trion is receptive to user feedback without being a pushover and caving to all the whiners. PvP is well-done IMO. Sure there's always room for a little tweaking here and there, but I sincerely hope that all the whiners don't win the day and make PvP a watered-down experience.
    Proud member of Unrepentant: The pants-optional Defiant PvE guild on Gnarlwood

Rift Disciple

Best post I've read here since I started RIFT

Please sticky and merge all the whine threads into one colossal whinefest. Im sure Im not the only person tired of seeing them on a daily basis

/signed

He's playing a Justicar + PvP soul, not a "healer". That's why he lives so long, he's an anti-player tank. His entire PvP role is being a PITA to kill.

So, looks like you're complaining and you have no idea what you're talking about...which means you're a perfect example of why Trion shouldn't listen to complaints: the complainers don't know what they're talking about
    Last edited by Kiserai; 02-28-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Telaran

I think what he's talking about is very situational. And what he said before that quote is that he can also get wrecked by one guy from time to time. I think it really has less to do with the game being unbalanced and more to do with people needing to figure out good PvP builds for there souls/class. ****, you have 4 different roles to play around with, use 'em and figure out a good PvP build.

I also play a Cleric and I am very tough to kill but I can't do **** for damage. It's the same thing if you make a glass cannon rogue, you may be able to pump out tons of damage but you probably won't be able to take any.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast