+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mana vs. Non-Mana Classes: Why?

Telaran

Default Mana vs. Non-Mana Classes: Why?

Just wanted to throw some thoughts out there to see the community's thoughts on the rationale behind some of the game's features. Namely, the fact that Mages and Clerics are mana-dependent, while Rogues and Warriors aren't restricted by their power usage.

I recognize that mana is a long-time standard in the MMO genre, but the reasoning escapes me as to why some classes can "run out" of a resource while other classes can't. There may be something important I'm missing here, but I'm not sure what. I've heard the argument that healers shouldn't be able to just keep healing forever, but why not? If the damage dealer can DPS forever, but a healer can't heal forever, then the healer always ends up on the short end of the stick.

Perhaps the real problem is that in most games, healing is so powerful that one of the only ways to take a healer down is to outlast them. The heart of that issue then is the power of the heals, not the fact that the healer has mana. If heals were smaller but the healer had infinite power (like rogues or warriors), a skilled DPS could shut down a healer by interrupting his heals and bursting at the appropriate times. No outlasting necessary.

I've also heard the argument that healers having infinite power regeneration would trivialize PVE content. That's true, but only if you build the PVE content around mana usage. Since PVE content tends to try to "tax" the healer's power use, that tends to be what makes it difficult to be a healer (at times). There are other ways to make PVE encounters challenging aside from just trying to run the healer out of mana.

What are your thoughts? Is mana just a lazy way to make healers "balanced", or is there a legitimate reason for it? Why have it? Why should rogues and warriors not have to manage their power?

Mana is a strategic resource. Power/energy is a tactical resource. Tbh, every class should have both.

power runs out too. in fact, its more restrictive than mana, as you cant increase it

Plane Walker

yeah what Newwb said. Mana is a larger pool that takes longer to come back. So a mage or cleric can go on at full power longer than rogue or warrior, the problem is when mana runs out its much slower to come back.

I personally dont think the two systems are balanced very well as you get stuck in combat sometimes so most mage souls cant get mana back when this happens (such as huge invasion battles or in dungeons)

Telaran

Why shouldn't it all be tactical? I guess that's my question.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by newwb View Post
    power runs out too. in fact, its more restrictive than mana, as you cant increase it
    True, it runs out, but it comes back. Mana doesn't tend to do that so easily.

Most mages have enough mana-regen skills to cover this up. Clerics have wisdom, ha-ha.

+ Reply to Thread