+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What class would suit me best?

Telaran

Default What class would suit me best?

Hello everyone. I'm a new RIFT player, so new in fact, I am still downloading the game. I am hopefully buying Rift tomorrow, and I am already contemplating class options. I will be rolling Defiant because my friend is also going Defiant, not sure if this impacts my avaliablilty of Archtypes (I know they're called Souls but for me it makes more sense to call a Soul an Archtype). Now, I was a WoW player. I've switched to Rift so I can see something new. I REALLY like the system of Souls this game offers, but the thing is, I'm stuck on what to choose.

When I played WoW, I did both PvP and PvE a lot. I enjoyed doing all three roles in PvE, but I much preferred - whilst PvPing - being a class with high control (Such as Frost Mage and pre-Cataclysm Mut/Prep Rogue), as well as being a class with a high skillcap (pre-Cataclysm Destruction or Affliction Warlock). I was wondering if, given this information, you could possibly tell me which specs would suit me best? I've been looking at Inquisitor and Pyromaniac and it looks fairly cool, but if I'm perfectly honest I have no real understanding of how the class/Soul system works other than the fact you start with one Calling and you gain Soul "points" every few levels which you can spend in your Branch tree and recieve bonuses in your Root tree every so often depending on the amount of points you spend in your chosen Soul. I also know you can have up to 3 Souls active at any one time but that's about it. If anyone could explain this, it'd be much appreciated.

Hoping this is the correct section, so please don't shoot me down if it isn't.
    Regards.
    Last edited by Neglected; 02-27-2011 at 04:24 PM.
    Rogue - Defiant
    Neglected - Whitefall PvP

I stalk the AddOn section.
    Follow me on twitter for miscellaneous ramblings from within Rift.

You are able to mix and match 66 points into 3 souls. Here is the soul calculator to understand what it looks like. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html

~~
    Yup, you can have up to 3 souls, but cannot have more points in any particular one that your level. So if you're level 15, you can only have 15 points in any 1 tree. Since you get more than 1 point at certain levels, it basically forces you to use some points in another soul. Only exception is that last, 51st point in a soul.

Rogue (Assassin) ends up getting some stuns and blind, but some feel it's a bit weak in it's pvp capabilities.

Mage (Dominator) is THE class for controlling the battlefield, but doesn't really get a ton of abilities outside of control. Most take this soul with no points in it as you get polymorph for just taking the soul.

Mage (Stormcaller) get's a 'frostbolt' style casted slow (for 2 talent points) and some rooting spells I think, but haven't played it deep.

Not sure what to tell ya on the rest of them as I haven't tried a ton of the souls yet.
    ~~

Telaran

OK, so since I'm bored and should be doing RS homework rather than this, but I can't be arsed anyway, I came up with a few builds that *could* work in PvP. Please tell me your thoughts?

Mage
    Archmage/Pyromaniac/Dominator (10/38/18)
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...cu0suxs.MsVzVz

I chose this build because it offers some defense against melee by way of the Archmage Soul tree. I didn't pick up every talent in the Pyromaniac tree. I found the AoE spells to be largely useless, however it was difficult to decide whether to drop points from Steelweave for Fire Storm and thus Backdraft - the 2 second stun could be useful, but I decided the damage reduction would be more useful in a PvP environment (I've heard that mages get hit on a lot). I chose Pyromaniac mainly because I just like fire. I like to see things burn, hah. Burning Bright was dropped because I'd rather the 9% health than the 10% extra damage, from what I've read we're a glass cannon as it is. Improved Smouldering Power was dropped mainly because the mana reduction is much less useful than the defensive utility - a dead mage need not worry about mana. Clinging Form and Transmogrify were picked up for obvious reasons - to use Poly more as an offensive tool as well as a short defensive cooldown. Acumen for more mana, Priest's Lament so that healers really don't like you at all, Arresting Presence for the same reason, Controlled Opportunity for a flat 50% damage increase after a Poly (so you can use it as a stun or, if being 1v2ed, sheep the partner and burst down the other guy fast), and Quicken Form so your Poly can't be interrupted.

(More to come)
    Rogue - Defiant
    Neglected - Whitefall PvP

I stalk the AddOn section.
    Follow me on twitter for miscellaneous ramblings from within Rift.

+ Reply to Thread