+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleric DOT vs Mage DOT classes

Rift Disciple

Default Cleric DOT vs Mage DOT classes

Which one generally does more damage and more effective for PvE and PvP? The Necro/Warlocks or the Inqs/Cabs? I tried Inq out quickly and it seemed quite good, plus stronger armor and self healing with a healing soul.
    Last edited by bignbrown; 02-27-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Soulwalker

Right now im playing a Necro/Lock combo and i have to say the Dots while nice in PvE, are worthless in PvP. Healing is so overpowered right now that those dots are easily healed through. Maybe in world pvp where a healer isnt always around, so far i can say im very underwhelmed with this combo.

Soulwalker

im playing lock/dom/nerco atm with nerco as main
    for pve the dots just simply own
    even when i turn up to rifts late i usually get more points than others
    also i lvl really fast

as for pvp its true the dots are kinda worthless atm, only good points is u have 2 instant cast dots
    soul purge is great tho heals and damages at same time

statement above is only true early on ingame
    as after 32 point in nerco you'll recieve curses dunno how good they will be yet

General of Telara

I have a 32 Inq and my 2 DoTs and nothing else can take an even level mob to 50%. I assume warlock/necro combo would do even better unless mages are just totally gimped.

The dots are not worse then direct damage spells you can actually have. Tbh, they are good, and if you claim otherwise you just use them wrong. It's not that you put your 3 dots on a target and it dies some 10 seconds after, it's that you double your single target (or aoe, whatever) dps if you use dots in addition to voidbolt/plaguebolt spam. And you should never expect to out dps a single healer's hps here, just like in war, eq, daoc and all other good games. What is the point of having a healer if one dps class can burn through their healing with raw dps? Use cc, mana drains, healing debuffs and assisting to kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
    I have a 32 Inq and my 2 DoTs and nothing else can take an even level mob to 50%. I assume warlock/necro combo would do even better unless mages are just totally gimped.
    I don't think mage DoTs are any stronger than Inquisitor DoTs. In fact Inquisitor DoTs may be stronger. Inquisitors are first class casters and do very good dps.

Shadowlander

In beta I rolled as an Inq for solo purposes and as a Justi for group. @ lvl 20 on a few hrs of questing the average fight would be 70-80 DPS. Dot stacking and BoP.

On my lvl 20 necro/lock/dom I am averging 50-60 DPS. life tap grave rot, both instant nec/lock dots. soul purge.

My Inq stayed at that range until it hit 27ish then my DPS scyrocketed due to all the crit bonus. Curious to see how Nec/lock compares since I will get pet bonuses instead of crit, but I got a feeling th Inq is going to win out.

Now if you scrap necro and pick something useful instead your dps will skyrocket.

Inquisitor dots absolutely crush necro and warlock dots, even more so with all appropriate talents taken. Vex does substantially more than necrosis or dark touch. Plus you can talent vex to heal you at the same time! And sanction heretic will be proccing your bolt of depravity for massive crits. Now maybe if you went 51 pts in warlock the passive dot bonus might eventually even it out, but that would be the only way it'd even come close. I played both to nearly 40 in beta and inquisitor puts out a ton more damage, while wearing chain. They are quite fun, especially if you put sentinel or some healer soul in there to compliment it.
    Last edited by Relair; 02-27-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Shadowlander

Ya. I have to agree. Soul Purge and Grave rot are really the only 2 good abilities I feel I am getting out of necro. I am ready to respec not entirely but try to find other AoEs to encorperate into this build, problem I see is lack there of points to get to valid AoEs @ 20. I will be rolling a cleric as soon as my EQ2 friends get off thier Velious high and play rift/pick a legit server. Im rolling this necro on deepwood for giggles till then.

General of Telara

This is my Inq build and I just mow thru stuff and I never die unless I get stupid and try to AoE and end up with 3 archers lol.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10jde.V0o.Exobxx0sz.V

If Inq DoTs are so much better why even bother with necro/warlock?
    Last edited by thomasmgp; 02-27-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Shadowlander

Guys I m using a necro/lock/dom and I can assure you that no other combo can beat my dots. In BG I own but as someone already said don't expect to dot someone and wait for him until he dies, its not how it works. You have to use everything in your possesion to make dots works....just keep in mind that the dots are there to help you kill your oppenent faster especially combined with soul purge.

Shadowlander

I agree with youwhole heartedly you cannot cast dots and assume death. Its all about spell rotation, but life leach/grave rot/necrosis/darck touch/soul purge, starting back at rot when its recast is up. does NOT out DPS BoD/Spirit deficiancy/Heretic/Vex/Banish/(renewel or disipline based on preference.) At least at level 20.

I am going to continue leveling necro and comparing, but that spell rotation seems to be my best DPS and it doesnt compare to what I was doing with Inq in B7. If you have a better spell rotation, I will gladly listen, but knowing who insane inq DPS gets once it gets into its second to last tier with all the crazy crit based bonuses and insta crit spell buff Necro has a huge hill to climb.

The Dots are in the single digits as to % of DPS and the DPS of each dot itself is minimal on parses. The only 2 spells parsing respectively are Soul Purge, and Grave Rot. Grave Rot is doing what my average SH,and Vex were doing at that level.

I really feel an AoE build based off of Grave Rot tied with maybe Stormcaller as odd as it seems, and blasting soul purge to keep you and pet up may be most viable in terms of DPS.

The one advantage the necro has over the Inq at this level is mana return. During a long rift I tend to have mana issues on the Inq, necro not so much because between phases spam pet leech spell In back at full MP ready to cast my next Grave Rot on incoming mobs.

Rift Disciple

Cabalist/Inquisitor build and i have nooo problems.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10doa.Vxok.VxV0k

And no mana issues.
    Last edited by Lobos GoreFang; 02-28-2011 at 02:11 AM.

Telaran

Warlock is a mean class and I dont see enough people speccing it fully instead they gimp out the points for free cast and extra charge.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Akqqek.x0c.x0b

That is what I am using now minus points in the max health boost though since I am 41 but in dungeons I pump out 600-900 dps on the packs of mobs around 190-240 single target.

If while clearing you keep up charge you just use a rotation of: Neddra's Grasp, Dark Touch, Sac Lifeamage, Entropic Veil. Then just Devouring Shadows till all the mean mobs are dead.

The warlock and necro trees really benefit from 51 points in them since their tree buffs have no cap currently. Also because of that its best to K.I.S.S and use the spells mainly from the tree you power up. Too many mages are trying to split the points between lock and necro and I think its not a great plan. Also I do about the same dmg in my full necro spec single target so balancing feels right.

Necro Spec is: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvws.xxohz.EtftAtkus
    Last edited by Rikam; 02-28-2011 at 05:26 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast