+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mages, for advanced players?

Default Mages, for advanced players?

first of all, this isn't a qq post

i played a mage in the beta and am now playing a mage which is roughly level 20. One thing i have noticed is that compared to other classes, mages are alot harder and require more thought to play, since line of sight issues can be a bigger problem then as seen in previous games, there are not many hard-hitting instant spells and having to make decisions on your rotation depending on the situation.

does anyone else get this feeling? i do love playing a mage, its a very unique class with lots of choices. although i do understand some specs for other classes do require skill too, there just seems to be alot of pre-planning and positioning for the mage, and not being a run in and **** face kind of class.

Shadowlander

I just roll my face across the keyboard. Its worked ok so far.

Plane Walker

From the number of nerfs to mage souls during the last few beta phases and again into live I am guessing mages are really good late game so they keep nerfing them across the board instead of just tweeking the high rank abilties.. so thus as a lowbie you just suck.

I took mage to 22 in beta 6 and 7 along with cleric and warrior. Mage was by far the worst of the three and now in live I am trying it again and its even worse. My guess is it is because I took elementalist as my primary soul and that is the one they screwed the most the last patches... for some reason almost everyone that says mages are fine also mentions necro/warlock...

Soulwalker

I have anchron stormcall and pyro im about lvl 16 and i would have to say im prolly going to change callings....This class just seems so underpowered, my only question is can i send my money to my other character?

There are quite a few viable specs (depending on what you're doing)

Necro / Warlock / Dom - Solo PVE

Chloro / Warlock (Or Archon) / Dom - Great healer (mainly for PVE)

Pyro / Archon / Archmage - PVP

Some of the others come into their own later as main souls... Like Stormcaller for the AOE, Archon for the raid buffs etc
    Xiomaro
    High Elf Mage

Atm I am a lvl 25 Mage.

Lvls 1-24 I spend my time with a Stormcaller (and some 1pt souls) and I had a really tough time. PVP was 'spam aoe' and pve was plain horrible because I couldn't hurt **** x).

At lvl 24 I tried full Chloro (and some 1pt souls) and I had a frickin awesome time. PvP was dmging and healing at the same time. PvE is so easy I pulled multiple mobs and even lvl 24 elites and I wouldn't even get close to dying. My ele pet tanked so good, he never went below 90% simply because of 'that one skill' chloro got. Sympasys or something.

At lvl 25 I tried full necro (and ele for revit and warlock for charge gain) and this is even better. I haven't PvP'd yet, but ohmy PvE is easy and the damage these pets do is in-frkin-sane.

My best solutions to you all mages: 6point Ele is a m-u-s-t. No mana downtime is unbelievable. Don't go Chloro unless you go full and plz - don't talk pyro/stormcaller for lvling XD

My fav builds:

Chloro (max) / Ele (6pt for Mana) / Warlock (6 pt for armor & charge gain)
    Necro (max) / Ele (6pt for Mana) / Warlock (6pt for armor & charge gain)
    Last edited by Eraven; 02-26-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eraven View Post
    Chloro (max) / Ele (6pt for Mana) / Warlock (6 pt for armor & charge gain)
    Necro (max) / Ele (6pt for Mana) / Warlock (6pt for armor & charge gain)
    Just a suggestion on the Necro build. You don't need to waste the 6 points in Elementalist for the MP gain. With 8 points in Necro you get Reclaim Power, which drains 10% of your HP from your pet and returns 10% of your mana. This is usable both in and out of combat. Since pet's HP regens so fast out of combat, it's very feasible to just drain him till you are full MP.

Mages do seem more challenging than other classes. You actually use all of your buttons.
    "What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the wish to find out, which is the exact opposite." - Bertrand Russell

In a sense, Mages do have higher skill cap. A well played Dominator who Poly / Mana Drain / Silence / Confuse / Fear Healers Dominate the battlefield.

8 points into Warlock, you have no more mana issues and you can heal yourself. For me I like being able to give myself mana when I need it and heal myself from my charge. I'm currently running Warlock/Elemental/Archon, noticing a big differance in my survivability in Warfronts, finish top damage and rarely die.

My only complaint so far (I'm still on lvl 20) is I don't have a lot of burst, so I'll probably review my spec when i'm around lvl 25 see if I can come up with something that gives me more burst damage, whilst still giving me my survivability, I hope this scales as I level becuase so far this is the best spec that suits me and my playstyle.

yeah i went chloromancer main/warlock off for PvP 10-19 bracket and at the start i did poorly since i really didn't have the spec down pat yet, but after about 8 warzones i had a decent rotation. heading into a warzone as a chloro with friends or a warrior buddy is really great to, though its still very hard to do well.

i guess we will see what endgame is like

Plane Walker

So basically, unlike the other three classes as a mage you have to take specific souls or you just suck. I thought each soul in each class was suppose to be able to function, as mage several of the souls just dont. People dip into them to get specific abilities or spells but dont really use that soul.

Why are mages nerfed in every patch? Because basically mages get 100% scaling from your gear, clerics get 75%, warriors 50% and rogues 25%. Riftblades are out of this equation, they have 0 scaling with gear.

I haven't had issue playing Mage so far. Level 16 at the moment, and I played rogue through the last 3 Beta's.

I wanted a challenge. Rogue is pretty simple honestly, and when I tried Mage out at the end of Beta 7, I knew this was the class that took a lot more coordination. That being said, easy is sometimes nice. But I like a harder time with things.

I really feel that depending on how you want to play, Mage fits the needs well. But, it's not a "1 spec and I can do EVERYTHING SO AWESOME" like some of the other classes seem to be. We also have a LOT more abilities, which can be daunting to those not used to having crazy amounts of keybindings.

I really feel that mage is going to open up it's power later in the game. It may not be as flashing as the FOTM roles in other classes, but the potential is way up there for some amazing versatility and damage.

Eh, I'm happy with my choice, and in the end, that's all that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by wraith228 View Post
    rogues ran around shootin lightning bolts out of their nuts and clerics had chainsaws for arms

<Hammered> PvE/PvP-Defiant, EST. Semi-Hardcore.
    is recruiting.

I've been using Necro/Warlock/Dom and It's awesome. I pull with the life drain DoT, stack Dots and then use the instant damage lightning spell from Dom and I chew through enemies pretty fast. My pet never holds aggro, but he's good for added DoT on all targets.

I can't wait to get some stronger Necro pets. The Skeleton you start with is way cooler than the Rock elemental, but he doesn't hold aggro even half as well.

I think maybe people are trying to use Mages a certain way instead of looking at your build and analyzing the synergies create by specific rotations.

Basically, if you're having problems, re-evaluate your spec and rotations and play the class combo you have, not the one you think it should be. It's like forcing sqaure pegs into round holes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast