+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Having troubles targetting as Mage?

Rift Disciple

Default Having troubles targetting as Mage?

Hey all - Im having some problems targetting as a Mage. Not quite in the literal sense, but due to so many people.

I see a mob that I need - I start to cast my spell and BAM - some Marks (usually) comes in and steals my "tag" instantly, making it pointless for me to attack that mob.

So - I go to the next - same exact thing happens...

The next - and the next... you get the point. It took me a half hour to tag FOUR mobs yesterday! FOUR!! No exaggeration...

Im not here to cry about people stealing my kills because it happens at every game ESPECIALLY at launch - I can live with that. Im more wondering about later in the game (or in PVP) do you think this is an issue?

I'll elaborate a little - basically - it takes 2-3 seconds to cast any spell, and Im concerned that in something like PVP especially (or even large rifts with many people) I won't even get a shot off before I'm either a) Dead b) The mob/player Im attacking is dead.... I got the "interrupted" text on my screen more often than I've cast spells in general..

Doesn't seem all that enjoyable right now but Im hoping it'll balance out, especially at higher levels when PVP takes longer to kill players/mobs are more harder, etc.

Does anyone else have this issue or feeling with playing a Mage? I think its more apparent as a Mage due to them being the spellcaster class - Im not sure if other classes like a Cleric also have this issue.

Thoughts? (keep it constructive please)

You know you could just use a instant cast spell to tag it. That is what I have been doing and it seems to work just fine. You don't have to tag it with your biggest damage spell every time. Just hit it with a instant and then there you go.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Pandala View Post
    You know you could just use a instant cast spell to tag it. That is what I have been doing and it seems to work just fine. You don't have to tag it with your biggest damage spell every time. Just hit it with a instant and then there you go.
    Mmm I thought of that too - but so far I dont have any yet...

Im a necro/chloromancer/warlock... all my spells are 2 sec cast at the earliest.

I assume this will hopefully fix itself (as I said) but again, more worried about long term. I know the 1000 people in the starter zones will die down after this weekend - but beyond that? It just seems like Mages are "slow" in comparison. Im not knocking them, I really enjoy my mage and I like the play style...

Maybe I just need to be more patient I appreciate your reply all the same.

Shadowlander

Well, you can use your warlock or necro instant cast dots, such as necrosis, and it will tag the mob even if it doesn't do damage right away

Rift Disciple

Thanks for your reply.

So far, I mostly have Chloromancer talents - but I guess the heal spell I can use as well

But again - for later down the road - do you guys feel Mages are a little on the slower side compared to other classes? I know this sounds/seems obvious and maybe it is.... but it feels like I don't get involved into the action the same way as the other classes.

Maybe I should roll them all to 10 and see if I enjoy the other playstyles more

Either way - I appreciate all your feedback. Thank you all

Soulwalker

While it is true that mages (or any caster for that matter) always tend to have a bit more buildup (cast time) than other classes just because overall they work on solid hard hits instead of say lots of quick hits a rogue. I noticed its a lot more of an issue than i was in open beta simply because there are so many more people, when i played in the OB it was rarely ever a problem but ive noticed it a lot more in the headstart but ive also noticed just a much larger number of people in general. I reckon once things start balancing out it wont be much of an issue but trying to get yourself an instant cast spell certaily cant hurt.

Rift Disciple

Default Targetting options

@Stayonboard

The simplest solution would be to join a group. Lots of people need the same mobs as you do and would welcome some help taking them down, especially in the earlier levels.

Also, I've noticed that the "tag" tends to change during a long battle. I've had mobs switch from tagged by me, to tagged by the rogue over there, and back to tagged by me again for the kill. I've also stolen the tag from someone who attacked the mob that I was targetting, so it's not always first to tag.

You've seen it too, just didn't recognize it happening...the mobs health bar changes color depending on whose tag is on it.

Dominator's Neural Prod is a) instant cast and b) no flight time.

I have it as my 3rd soul and in a heavily populated area where I need to tag mobs it's the 1st thing I cast.

+ Reply to Thread