+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wizard

Default Wizard

Im hoping for a Wizard Class
    Pure caster with no reliance on a pet which it looks like the elementalist has.

Almost no one calls them wizards any more, we always get the label sorcerer but thats just semantics ( i prefer wizard )

Don't get too stuck in that wizard mode. With lots of classes left to reveal there could be something better for you coming.

It's funny I always preferred the term sorcerer to wizard. Wizards always remind me of gandalf. Sorcerers seem more mysterious. Strange how the terminology gives me a completely different perspective.

While I would prefer Sorcerer (as Wizard is a more benign word (for either one who does magic or one who does magic shows), where Sorcerer refers to either one who practices black magic or one involved with malevolent spirits), I'm more concerned with whether there'll be a casting class with extremely high DPS and low survivability (I hate it when you end up with some vague class that has neither the highest DPS in the game nor the lowest health/armor, or worse... when you get the second, but not the first).
    Ipsa scientia potestas est

I am also hoping for a caster in its purest form call it a wizard call it a sorcerer, in the end it's board loads of magic, good nukes not to much utility and ends up in the top portion of the dps charts.

I also hope we will have wizard hats (the big ones) I don't know in the games I have played headgear of casters was never cool looking. A casterheadgear mcuh like that final fantasy figure (yellow hat) would be cool allthought a bit smaller and normal looking. But thats the one i mean.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Wizard hats need to be those pointy cone ones with stars on it. I wouldn't play a Wizard without one. It would be wrong.

Anyway, we may see a more classic Wizard under one name or another. However, they haven't really shown many classes (maybe 1 or 2) that one might consider "classic" so who knows. Not that it's a bad thing either since the more unique classes there are the more Rift can stand out. Fire breathing healers are gonna be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    Wizard hats need to be those pointy cone ones with stars on it. I wouldn't play a Wizard without one. It would be wrong.

Anyway, we may see a more classic Wizard under one name or another. However, they haven't really shown many classes (maybe 1 or 2) that one might consider "classic" so who knows. Not that it's a bad thing either since the more unique classes there are the more Rift can stand out. Fire breathing healers are gonna be fun.
    Yea that's a nice thing tho, the classic names are ok but well I have to admit Nightblade, Reaver for me is way nicer name than the standard things we know from MMO's

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    Yea that's a nice thing tho, the classic names are ok but well I have to admit Nightblade, Reaver for me is way nicer name than the standard things we know from MMO's

Regards,
    Kalbuir
    Aye, I ain't to bothered by the idea of something totally new, so long as the actual mechanics are that of a serious glass cannon, I'd actually probably prefer something a bit more interesting for fluff. Heh, to be honest I don't even mind new mechanics so long as they're designed to be a glass cannon. In fact, I suspect that they'd have to do something kinda different cause otherwise people would just mix the high DPS with some high survivability.... Maybe they'll put the highest DPS skills way back in the tree? Or they could do something totally different there. We'll see, I just hope we get our caster one way or the other.
    Ipsa scientia potestas est

Quote Originally Posted by TemetNosce View Post
    Aye, I ain't to bothered by the idea of something totally new, so long as the actual mechanics are that of a serious glass cannon, I'd actually probably prefer something a bit more interesting for fluff. Heh, to be honest I don't even mind new mechanics so long as they're designed to be a glass cannon. In fact, I suspect that they'd have to do something kinda different cause otherwise people would just mix the high DPS with some high survivability.... Maybe they'll put the hig hest DPS skills way back in the tree? Or they could do something totally different there. We'll see, I just hope we get our caster one way or the other.
    Yea indeed I also hope even with new names some of the souls atleast remain the feeling of the classes we know so well.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

I'm really hoping for a stereo-type magic missle firing mage so i can make a blademaster/mage styled to the old basic D&D Elf class. I would be happy with anything at this stage, i'm getting quite excited about the class system.

A real wizard. I hope that. I also hope with the choice to go single target or AE, but that could be another class too.

In my eyes a wizard is more the scholar class. He has studied magic and learned how to wield it. While a sorcerer is the one born with magic powers and learns to control it. But those seem to be mixed a lot, it's just how I first read the differences and I liked the definitions.

A burn class is really needed. It's a lot of fun to make new ones, but the old ones are good too. I'd love to have a class who masters all types of magic too, or just not the death and life magic. I really hated how in one game the sorc couldn't use physical magic. Master of magic and can't use a basic magic. Life and death magic are different. Depending on the implementation of life magic, it could be more the magic of gods, or the holy magic to heal. That's not real magic, that's just what healers use. If it's another type of magic like the fire plane magic, the master wizard should be able to wield it. Death magic is usually foul and dirty magic and it can corrupt (depending on the lore). Again it depends on the lore, if it's just another plane of magic, they should be able to use it, if it's going to be the dark side of the force kind of magic and it corrupts, then it should not be used by wizards. They can get the necro/warlock./other wizard who uses death magic.

in daoc there was a big difference between a sorcerer and a wizard =p
    sorcerers could stop an entire group in their tracks and lifetap them all ( super fast =( ) to death one by one, while wizards had the most damage in the game with 2 bolt spells.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post

Regards,
    Kalbuir
    The Nightblade was a rogue / caster hybrid in the PnP game Rolemaster. That game had dozens of classes with unique names.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo View Post
    Im hoping for a Wizard Class
    Pure caster with no reliance on a pet which it looks like the elementalist has.

Almost no one calls them wizards any more, we always get the label sorcerer but thats just semantics ( i prefer wizard )

It would definitely be good to see a pure casting class with no pets, or cooldown summons.
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Telaran

Technically there already is a wizard class in Rift. The word wizard is interchangeable with the word warlock. Warlock and wizard where merely names for male witches.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast