+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Main souls, secondary souls and tertiary souls

Shadowlander

Default Main souls, secondary souls and tertiary souls

I figured pretty quickly you can choose 3 out of 9 total souls, what it took some longer to pick up on is that even if you have 3 particual souls your abilities will vay depending on wich soul is your main soul, secondary soul and tertiary souls.

Lets say I want to make cleric PVE healer. I choose Purifire, Sentinel and Warden as my 3 souls. What difference wil I experience if I choose a Sentinel, warden, purifier instead of a purifer, warden, sentinel set up? Ofcourse the first one is a raid healer and the second a tank heal build, but how will I notice the differnce?

Will I loose some of my spells? Will my spells be weaker and if so, by how much? Will I have limited points to use to strenghten them?

Any info on this would be highly welcome.

It all depends on how you spend your points, really. Once you know a spell, you can always train the highest ranks of that spell from your trainer, so the base effect you get from Healing Spray (Warden-0) will be the same no matter what soul you dedicate the most points to. At level 50, Deluge (warden-14) heals for 245-250, plus an additional 50 for each active HoT on the target cast by you (maximum 6), before spell power and talents.

Where the difference comes in is the talents; any cleric with 14 points in Warden can cast Deluge, but if you only go 14 points into the tree it's going to have a 2 second cast time, an 8 second cooldown, and no further specific augments. If you go deep into the Warden tree, you can pick up talents to boost the power of Deluge by 30% and to reduce the cooldown by 4 seconds, so a character with many points in Warden will likely have a stronger Deluge than other clerics.

That doesn't mean the spells from your other souls aren't worth using, it just means that if you put most of your points into one soul, you'll have a lot of talents from that soul to bolster the specific abilities and style of that soul. That means someone who goes deep into Warden will likely see a lot of benefit from sticking to Warden spells and playing up their HoT style, while someone who goes deep Purifier might not see as much benefit from those spells, but would get more benefit from their Purifier spells. That said, just because your Healing Spray isn't as strong as a warden's might be doesn't mean Healing Spray is useless to you as a purifier; it's an instant cast hot that you can use while moving, so it's still a valuable part of your arsenal.

Eep
    Shadowlander

The priority of the souls makes 0 difference its jsut the points you put into them that effects you.

I had the same impression before playing beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Eep View Post
    The priority of the souls makes 0 difference its jsut the points you put into them that effects you.

I had the same impression before playing beta.
    Yep, simplest way to describe it. Points in a soul augment abilities (some of which can affect your other souls), but they also give you new abilities in the root of that soul's tree.

If you have lots of points in Warden and no points in Sentinel then you will have extra abilities from the Warden's roots, many of which will be made more power through soul point augmentations, and you will have less of the Sentinel's abilities.

The best bit is, if your not too happy with your point allocation, the reset. It doesn't matter which is your main soul. It is just stronger and like previously said, improves your talents to spells in that soul. If your not happy. Reset. There is no harm in trying and experimenting. Play how you feel best

Rift Disciple

Just to recap, each soul has a talent tree and roots.

As you put points in the talent tree, you improve and unlock new abilities but also grow the roots. As you grow more attuned to the soul (add talent points) you bonus unlock new abilities from the roots automatically. When you pickup more souls some abilities will mirror one another, others will synergise, and some will just be better than from another so you mix and match to use the abilities you want.

The order you choose the souls isn't important, what matters is where you spend your talent points to see how deep the roots also grow. You can respec your soul at trainers (or if its a 0 point soul anytime you're not in combat). You'll get 3 souls during the starter area, and can pick up the rest running quests from the main city after level 13.

The trainers will also teach you additional roles (up to 3 I believe). You should be able to afford the second by the time you get to the city, the third costs quite a but is available once you have enough cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Naoya View Post
    I figured pretty quickly you can choose 3 out of 9 total souls, what it took some longer to pick up on is that even if you have 3 particual souls your abilities will vay depending on wich soul is your main soul, secondary soul and tertiary souls.

Lets say I want to make cleric PVE healer. I choose Purifire, Sentinel and Warden as my 3 souls. What difference wil I experience if I choose a Sentinel, warden, purifier instead of a purifer, warden, sentinel set up? Ofcourse the first one is a raid healer and the second a tank heal build, but how will I notice the differnce?

Will I loose some of my spells? Will my spells be weaker and if so, by how much? Will I have limited points to use to strenghten them?

Any info on this would be highly welcome.
    Open up a Soul Planner like this one: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html

When you spend points in a "tree" (the top portion), you get what the tooltip says, PLUS you automatically get the abilities in the "root" (the bottom portion). So, as an example, when you spend 5 points in Sentinel talent "Watchful Gaze", you get +5% spell power. You also get "Life's Vengeance" and "Heroic Blessing" the level 2 and 4 root abilities. Don't be confused by the low numbers in the tooltips, as you level up, you Train the abilities to higher Ranks and these numbers get bigger.

The "limit" for points you can spend in any one Soul is equal to your current level. So, to spend 5 pts in Sentinel in the example above, you would have to be level 5. (Note, at level 5 you will actually have 7 points or something - so you can spend 5 points in Sentinel maximum, and you would have to spend the other 2 points in either Purifier or Warden or a combination of both. At level 50, you have 66 points to spend. So, 51/15/0 is possible, or 44/12/10, or anything else you can dream up.)

+ Reply to Thread