+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Build Question in general

Soulwalker

Default Build Question in general

Say I do war/champion/reaver/paladin. Can I change my callings after 10 levels into the game?
    Does re-spec cost money?

Quote Originally Posted by nomss View Post
    Say I do war/champion/reaver/paladin. Can I change my callings after 10 levels into the game?
    Does re-spec cost money?
    Starting at level 13 (I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's about that time) you can do quests to obtain additional souls beyond the first three you obtain in the starting area. The quests are relatively quick and easy, and you can get the 5 other non-pvp souls that way. (Edit: The 9th PvP-based soul must be bought with Favor, and I believe you must be level 50 to do so, though I can't confirm that; if I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me).

You can change your point allocation (re-spec) at any time by going to a trainer and asking to reset your souls. This does cost money, but as far as I can tell that fee is based solely on level, and does not increase with repeated resets.

Edit: One additional point on this: if you have a soul equipped that you have not spent points in, you can switch it to any other soul you possess at any time (except in combat) without needing to reset. For example, say you've put points into the Paladin and Champion souls, but have put no points into Reaver. You quest at level 13 to acquire the Riftblade soul. You could switch your Reaver soul (with no points) to the Riftblade soul at any time, and back. You could not change either your Paladin soul or your Champion soul without going to your trainer and resetting your souls, because you have points in them. If you subsequently spend points in your Reaver soul (and thus have points in all three of your souls), you cannot change any of them without going to a trainer and resetting your souls.

You can also purchase additional "roles" from your trainer; this allows you have multiple setups at once (dual-spec, if you're familiar with that, save that you can actually buy up to 4). There is a one-time cost to acquire an additional role, but once you have it you can switch to other roles at any time for no cost, so long as you're not in combat (I don't know if you can change in warfronts or not, I didn't try).

At no time can you change a character's calling; if you make your character a warrior, that character will always be a warrior. To play as a mage or to use mage souls, you have to make another character. There is no way to have souls from two separate callings on the same character.
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 02-24-2011 at 03:42 AM.

Soulwalker

What is this PVP soul you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by nomss View Post
    What is this PVP soul you are talking about?
    Every calling has a single soul that is dedicated to PvP; you can only put 21 points into it, and all the talents/abilities either only work against enemy players or are abilities that are most beneficial in a PvP situation.

The PvP souls are:
    • Warrior - Vindicator
    • Cleric - Templar
    • Rogue - Infiltrator
    • Mage - Archmage

Edit: Trion's official page on PvP souls: http://www.riftgame.com/en/game/pvp/classes.php
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 02-24-2011 at 03:49 AM.

Rift Disciple

Yes, after level 13 you can start running quests to unlock the other souls (by then you should also be able to afford your second "role" spec as well). Respecing was really cheap in the beta, scaled with your level. Be aware you can only pickup one new soul at a time, but when you complete that quest (basically to go close a rift and fight the soul) and turn it in, you can pickup another (and so on). PS - they're available from the main cities.

To clear up the PvP soul comments, these can be purchased for 2500 favour (earned from killing players and Warfronts/warfront related quests).

You can buy them as soon as you have enough favour to do so (at any level) but you can only spend a maximum of 5 points for each "PvP rank" you have. PvP rank is 1 until you you hit level 50 at which point you can start to work on rank 2 and so on. (Think of it like prestige ranks in Call of Duty if you are familiar with that game).

At least, that information is correct as of the end of Open beta. Might have changed for Live.

+ Reply to Thread