+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question concerning mechanics of "talent" system and class/souls picking

Shadowlander

Default Question concerning mechanics of "talent" system and class/souls picking

I'm sure it's written elsewhere but there are thousands of posts :<

1) How many "points" do you have to spend on talents (I think its 66 but im not sure)? Do you have points already from the moment you start? and if so, how many?

2) Is there a mechanism with which i can change between "talent trees" without having to go to a trainer? for example i have 3 souls with 51/7/8, can I dual spec and also have the same and/or different souls with 7/51/8 without having to go to to a trainer.

3) Class picking:
    What class should I pick, concerning these.

I would like to tank (I was a tank in wow through everything there was in the game up to lvl 70.) but I want to be able to dps/pvp as well. I'm sure you can do both as a warrior and a rogue. But any idea which is the best? Standar best tank class is warrior in every game, but here Ive read that a riftstalker is an even better tank!?
    If it really is then I'm really bending towards rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpampis View Post
    2) Is there a mechanism with which i can change between "talent trees" without having to go to a trainer? for example i have 3 souls with 51/7/8, can I dual spec and also have the same and/or different souls with 7/51/8 without having to go to to a trainer.

Yeah, there's quad-spec in Rift.

Ascendant

1) How many "points" do you have to spend on talents (I think its 66 but im not sure)? Do you have points already from the moment you start? and if so, how many?
    66 points max, you get 1 point every level, 1 extra point every three levels.
    you can put as much points in a single soul as your level (so if you are level 30 and have 40 points you still can put only 30 points in your main soul).
    you can respec your soul anytime by your class trainer, cost is by your level, not the number of respec like other games.
    when a soul its a 0 points you can switch it for another of the souls you know anytime (not in combat).
    the class trainer also sells "roles" - you can save a soul spec for every roles you buy and switch anytime - not in combat, requires 2 seconds cast time, up to 4 total roles.
    you cant switch callings (rogue, mage, warrior, cleric) and you cant get souls from the other callings.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Soulwalker

It is indeed 66. You start building points up at level 2. Fairly quickly I might add.

I don't know but if the above poster says quad spec, then lets go with that.

3) Class picking:

I would like to tank (I was a tank in wow through everything there was in the game up to lvl 70.) but I want to be able to dps/pvp as well. I'm sure you can do both as a warrior and a rogue. But any idea which is the best? Standar best tank class is warrior in every game, but here Ive read that a riftstalker is an even better tank!?
    From the looks of it Rogues are more about avoidance tanks, so they might end up being the best option for melee bosses. They will take more spike damage however.

Warriors are more about damage mitigation, so they will take more gradual damage over the length of the fight. This helps prevent healers from having heart attacks.

Both should be viable, but its unknown as of yet which one will play more of the MT roll. I suspect it will be warriors for the most part.

Oh and I am playing a rogue, DPS as my main roll and Tank as my secondary roll.
    Last edited by ceba; 02-24-2011 at 03:23 AM.

Shadowlander

Thanks everyone for explaining how the tree works. Quad-spec sounds just AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by ceba View Post
    Warriors are more about damage mitigation, so they will take more gradual damage over the length of the fight. This helps prevent healers from having heart attacks.
    ahaha, indeed

Yea, prolly warriors are gonna be MT's, especially on bosses with spells.

Im probably gonna go rogue as DPS and Tank as well though. Im not sure though. If warriors are gonna end up MTing and Paragon is good at dpsing I might pick warrior.

If rogues dont end up MTing ill get bored of dpsing and tanking adds :<

Yea, prolly warriors are gonna be MT's, especially on bosses with spells.

Im probably gonna go rogue as DPS and Tank as well though. Im not sure though. If warriors are gonna end up MTing and Paragon is good at dpsing I might pick warrior.

If rogues dont end up MTing ill get bored of dpsing and tanking adds :<
    I'm sure rogues will be able to main tank. A lot of their abilities are avoidance based, but they aren't skimping on avoidance either; a well played riftstalker wtih 51 points in their tree can keep Rift Guard up essentially 100%, for 35% damage absoprtion, not counting their armor buffs and static damage reduction from other sources (6% DR from talents, 6% DR from Phantom Blow, for another 12% straight damage reduction on top of Rift Guard).

I plan on playing a paladin myself, but only because I enjoy using the shield. A well played riftstalker should have plenty of straight mitigation, on top of their avoidance. The only place they're really lacking is self-healing; they have none, and I believe they're the only tank to not get any form of self-healing (ok, Rift Scavenger, but that only counts if you get a killing blow on something with combo points still on it, not exactly reliable).

Edit: Not trying to de-rail the thread, just wanted to comment that Riftstalkers aren't exactly lacking on the damage mitigation front.
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 02-24-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Rift Disciple

51 pt Riftstalkers have quite a lot of absorption from their rift guard ability, coupled with ranger/bard for the health boosts they can top out there too. You also get large boosts to your healing taken and can convert unused combo points on dead foes to self healing. I quite enjoyed this spec in beta although I only got mine up into the 20's.

3) Class picking:

1) You get 1 point per level to spend, and then every 3 levels or so, you get an extra point. (50 levels = 50 pts, plus 50/3 = 66 points total). Although you didn't ask, I'll let you know that you can spend points in one soul equal to your current level. Most people just pick a "main soul" for leveling and stick all points in there, with leftover points in a second soul.

2) You get 1 "Role" to start with, and you equip 3 Souls before you leave the starting area. At level 13, you can get easy quests to acquire the other 5 souls, one at a time. You can pay at a trainer to re-spend and re-configure your 3 equipped Souls (a "respec" in WoW). Also, you can buy a 2nd "Role" (just like dual spec in wow), and it's pretty cheap. In your 2nd Role you can equip any 3 of the souls you have acquired. To switch back and forth between Roles, you hit "N" (just like WoW), click the Role you want, and press Activate (just like WoW). In Rift, however, you can buy up to 4 Roles (yes, that's like quad-spec, very much unlike WoW).

3) Warriors can Tank or DPS in this game. It's a 5 second switch between Roles and you don't need to be near a trainer. If you liked Tank + DPS as a Warrior in WoW, you will like it here. You could do hours of research, but if you want a "quick start" just pick Champion as your first soul. Mouse over Champion and see the other "recommended" 2 souls and choose them next. If you liked WoW warriors, you will like Champion. Play the game and you will learn about other Soul options along the way (there is actually a spell-based warrior DPS too, as well as 3 different tanking souls). You won't need a tanking soul or spec to quest, DPS warrior does fine questing 1 thru 22 (and beyond, I assume, but I only got to 22 in beta).

+ Reply to Thread