+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying to understand the Hit traits

Telaran

Default Trying to understand the Hit traits

So I see alot of souls got traits that increase your chance of hitting. By spending points on these traits, do they decrease your chance of being blocked, parried and evaded, or does it only decrease the chance of missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowyn View Post
    So I see alot of souls got traits that increase your chance of hitting. By spending points on these traits, do they decrease your chance of being blocked, parried and evaded, or does it only decrease the chance of missing?
    They decrease the chance of missing, I think

Rift Disciple

Pretty sure its missing, for block/parry/dodge there are usually abilities that give you a guaranteed hit back every X second abilities, or that riftblade talent for procing a "half-weapon dmg hit" of air damage.

Telaran

If there is +%hitchance there musst be a standard chance to miss. Anyone knows the numbers for the different weapons? Or is it stat dependent.

Without meaning to sound facetious since most of the mechanics are direct copies of, or very close to, WoW's I'd guess there's a base 5% miss chance.

But then it has to be said they made Hit counter Parry/Dodge so maybe there's no need for a base 5% miss...

Won't be hard to test anyway

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder313 View Post
    Won't be hard to test anyway
    Aye, just a wee bit tedious to track down a pile of single level mobs, fight them while logging, then parsing fun...

base miss chance is around 5%

it is said that +hit also decreses you chance to get parried or dodged and such... but i never tested that.

They decrease the chance of missing, down to 0% chance of a miss. After that, more hit = reduced chance to be blocked/parried/dodged. My source was a Developer/Designer interview, google it, there should be something.

Telaran

I also remember seeing some post about how each tier of dungeons and raids will have different levels of hit/toughness/focus caps. Although I assume it's possible to meet the caps with gear alone, the hit talents are there for dps players that choose to itemize for more dps stats and talent for hit instead. I remember that at entry-level ICC raiding in WoW, hunters (my main in WoW) were loaded on hit rating through gear but the BiS gear was below cap so people would have to talent for it.

Each class has a base chance to hit, and this is modified by their stats, the type of attack, melee, ranged, or magic, and the traits you mention. Every time you attempt to hit an object the system compares your chance to hit with its defence (also affected similarly by attribs), and a random multiplier, and the maths determines miss, or hit for each successive attack.

Against classes of a lower level, or with low defence, these stats will have little effect as you are going to hit anyway, as such their greatest benefit is when faced with taking on a target of a higher level or high defence. You will also notice that some abilities ignore defence and are a guaranteed hit; in this case, only armour comes into the equation, unless this is also ignored by the ability.
    Last edited by hexcaliber; 02-24-2011 at 07:20 AM.

Soulwalker

Just missing... But still, I don't have numbers but I'm going to guess the miss chance is higher than 5% so the 5% you get there is at the very least 5% more damage. I say very least because of crits, temporary buffs, etc which can worsen the importance of registering a hit.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Arthrakis View Post
    Just missing... But still, I don't have numbers but I'm going to guess the miss chance is higher than 5% so the 5% you get there is at the very least 5% more damage. I say very least because of crits, temporary buffs, etc which can worsen the importance of registering a hit.
    How it usually has worked in other MMOs (WoW) is that it's 5% to miss another mob of your own level, but then dungeon/raid elites/bosses were higher levels than you (note level 52 guards in cities), which added another 1% to miss them. It is usually a very bad idea to say that you're at the hit cap based on a temporary buff/proc.
    Last edited by Yuncius; 02-24-2011 at 07:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread