+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are Shamans really that bad?

Soulwalker

Default Are Shamans really that bad?

Been reading a lot of threads bashing Shaman DPS but on paper the 44/11/11 (Sham/Inq/Sent) build that maximizes crit dmg and crit % seems pretty potent. Of course getting +crit gear would be a priority for this build. I haven't had a chance to test this out at high lvls so I was wondering if any one else got a chance to play w/this build

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...trsAk.V0xz.Vxz

Quote Originally Posted by thanif View Post
    Been reading a lot of threads bashing Shaman DPS but on paper the 44/11/11 (Sham/Inq/Sent) build that maximizes crit dmg and crit % seems pretty potent. Of course getting +crit gear would be a priority for this build. I haven't had a chance to test this out at high lvls so I was wondering if any one else got a chance to play w/this build

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...trsAk.V0xz.Vxz
    Yes they are.

The shaman class seems to be an easy class to build/play but difficult to master to the degree of dps output as rogue or warrior classes. They have, imo, a far easier time building their dps output through their abilities and gearing.

Shield of Telara

in a week there are gonna be nerf shaman threads.... just wait

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll03 View Post
    in a week there are gonna be nerf shaman threads.... just wait
    To be honest the Shaman is ok. Nothing great but ok. If you are looking at dps you need to go Cab and Inq for the casting cleric.
    Druid and shaman seem to be a must to combo.

druid and shaman both do laughable damage in comparison to any other DPS class. I have a 42 druid shaman who hits for about 1/3 of what my 27 champion does. And less often.

Soulwalker

I leveled a Shaman to 24

Build here. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10ned.VxzxtM..V0z

I was top Damage on 90% of battlegrounds Averaging 10KB 1D
    Either everyone was really bad or Shaman was a decent class. Could go either way.
    however, it did handle itself leveling versus several mobs at a time without having any trouble.

Telaran

I enjoyed my shaman/druid until about level 25. Damage compared to mob health seemed to not scale as well as I hoped. I switched to cab/inq and did just fine after that.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Aiiden View Post
    I leveled a Shaman to 24

Build here. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10ned.VxzxtM..V0z

I was top Damage on 90% of battlegrounds Averaging 10KB 1D
    Either everyone was really bad or Shaman was a decent class. Could go either way.
    however, it did handle itself leveling versus several mobs at a time without having any trouble.
    can anyone else confirm!?!?
    need to know how to level lol

Aiiden has the right idea with that build. I didn't run any instances as shaman so I can't compare to my warrior or rogue dps for PvE, but Shaman is very strong for PvP. Not crazy bust dmg but high survivability with decent constant damage output and snares. It's a class built around crits, so pairing with inq and sentinel has some synergy. I also had no problem making top 3 in damage and kills every warfront as shaman in the 20-29 range, but you have to either macro or pay very close attention to your proc/cd skills to be effective. Can't speak for 30+.

Rift Disciple

They still seems to be making rather sweeping changes rather than fine tuning. They where a bit the 'wonder kid' a while back but they got double nerfed (general changes to melee and specific Shaman changes at the same time).

Soulwalker

From my experience the cab/inq combo puts out a lot of damage but I started to run into mana problems around lvl 13-15. I switched to a druid/shaman/justicar build and never had to stop for replenishment. With two abilities to replenish mana, healing based on damage output and two shields on 30 sec cooldowns, I could take on 3 mobs of equal level and never drop below 75% mana or health. I played that combo to lvl 25 so I can't say as to how well everything scales at higher levels. As for pvp I stuck with cab/inq and always topped the boards on damage and kills. Spec'd properly you can dot everyone up and then sit back and spam cast.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Chilton View Post
    druid and shaman both do laughable damage in comparison to any other DPS class. I have a 42 druid shaman who hits for about 1/3 of what my 27 champion does. And less often.
    that's becouse champions damage is too high, not becouse shaman's low.
    this should have been corrected with the latest patches.
    shaman's damage is really good, plus it has good mana management tools so the uptime will be 100% - other builds like cab/inq can deal more damage but have a lot worse mana management tools, you have to chose what style of play you prefer.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizo View Post
    shaman's damage is really good, plus it has good mana management tools so the uptime will be 100% - other builds like cab/inq can deal more damage but have a lot worse mana management tools, you have to chose what style of play you prefer.
    Which is why they are easily out stripped by many other builds including the reaver which is a tank...

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizo View Post
    And Warriors DMG is low compared to Rogue Damage... so where does that put the Shammy's?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast