+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanting to roll a healer, but will a warden be able to solo AT ALL?

Soulwalker

Default Wanting to roll a healer, but will a warden be able to solo AT ALL?

I love healing in all RPGs, and I am still downloading the game so haven't got an opportunity to test out the new classes. I really want to play a warden as my starting soul, but are wardens capable of soloing so I can get to a lvl where I can start grouping?

I figure I should be a warden/sentinel/purifier. Any thoughts?

Plane Touched

My experience with the Warden in this last open beta is that they can solo extremely well. Boring, but extremely well.

Basically, they're neigh un-killable and have only moderate damage (their water attacks are better than Sentinel or Purifier get, at least). It's like, "oops, I aggro'd 5 mobs! Guess I'm going to be resurrecting soon... no, wait, I was wrong, with 4 HoTs going on myself at once I'm out-healing all the damage they're doing. Oh well, guess I should finish them off one by one before I'm out of mana."

In summary, pure Wardens burn through PvE content slow and steadily. If you're in a hurry, you're probably going to want to combine them with an offensive soul, like the Inquisitor, Cabalist, or Shaman. Don't worry about this causing problems later when it's time to play a pure healer, you can set up a second Warden/Purifier/Sentinel role for that.
    Last edited by geldonyetich; 02-23-2011 at 07:10 PM.

No reason you can't as 3 heal spec souls will out last any fight with out healing the incomming damage. Granted you won't hit hard, or have a large surviveability pool, but with the Warden's HoT's, and the Sent spike heals, you should be good.

Be watchfull of boss / elites, but in those cases you won't be the one smacking on them primarily anyhow.

Warden/Sentinel/Purifier is generally the main healing soul synergy and they work well together. Most of your dmg (if you decide to solo with this build) will come from sentinel, however.

Considering at or before lvl 20 you should have all 8 souls of your calling (maybe even all 9 if you get the PvP one early) I would look towards a Shaman based soloing build.

Of course it's all based on personal preference but having played a Cleric extensively through the beta I can say that a Shaman/Justicar/Xxx combo its fantastic with absolutely little to no downtime due to insane Mana Regen and self heals

Again, it is all up to you, if you decide to solo with your healing build thats just fine

The beauty of Rift is the many options you have with your character

You can buy a second role for 30g [which you should have by level 10 or so] and have 1 role for solo DPS and 1 role for healing so you don't have to run around killing mobs with your healing setup.

You can have up to 4 roles total but the price shoots up after you buy your second role.

Quote Originally Posted by Berra2k View Post
    I love healing in all RPGs, and I am still downloading the game so haven't got an opportunity to test out the new classes. I really want to play a warden as my starting soul, but are wardens capable of soloing so I can get to a lvl where I can start grouping?

The important thing to know is you can add a second role before you even get to a situation where grouping is desirable (first dungeon, at around level 17-20). The second role is cheap. To populate the second soul, you can either use the same souls that you used for your first role, configured differently. Or, you can do simple quests to make additional souls available, starting at level 13. You can also re-arrange the point allocations for each of your roles at any time.

In light of this, it may be wise to start with a more DPS-oriented role, and then add your group-healing role somewhere around level 15. Do whatever seems more fun for you. If you already have a playing partner/group that you want to heal from the start, then by all means start out with your healing build.

Someone mentioned a shaman/justicar combo to start with - and I'd concur that it is a nice soloing build, though you won't be able to heal anyone but yourself for a while.

Druid Warden Shaman is pretty good too. Decent dmg with decent heals and good survivability.
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.
    http://forumwatch.riftideas.com/ *Credit to Meritt*
    Ever heard of Mumble? It's like Vent & Skype had a kid!

I had a heavy Inquisitor/sentinel/Cabalist build for soloing and Heavy Sent/Warden/Purifier for pure healing. Sentinel felt more like my play style than Warden and Inquisitor felt more fun than Cabalist but that's just me. I like how we can play with it to get it just right to fit what we are most comfortable with.

Not only can we play with our builds to get what we're most comfortable with, but we can mix and match various soul combos at different points in the game to support us in what we're doing at any given time. You might want to start with a melee dps build to ensure your survivability and then switch in a caster soul set up for the mid levels. Who knows? There is no right or wrong, only what makes you happy. *joy*

Shadowlander

warden post 21

is the only one who can admire the dungeon scenery while healing at the same time

and not have your eyes glued to the HP bars playing wack a mole

Telaran

Roll with an Inq/Warden. Good DPS, healing to get you through it. Nice AoE damage as well. Here is a video of AoE leveling. Here is the build.

Rift Disciple

On the last day of beta a guildy invited me up to an area that was still a bit high for me, I usually rolled as a Justicar but I figured this was a good opportunity to try out my Warden build as we went around hunting rifts during an invasion. Unfortunately, one of his abiities was a bit buggy and he'd sometimes fall through the ground when he teleported. This happened a few times mid-rift fight.

My heals were more than enough to keep me up, and my mana regen was fine (I had a lot of rift gotten vendor gear, top notch stuff although it was from Freemarch and I was in a zone 2 beyond it progression wise). I didn't kill them quick (were only a few levels above me) but I could take'm down. Healing wise I had no problems keeping him, and some other random guy we ran into up.

I wouldn't advise it as a leveling spec (you can get the dual spec by around 13 when you can unlock new souls, at least in the beta). Even at rifts you may have issues with pulling healgro if you're not grouped with friends taking care of you. Only really takes 1 good tank though so if you're with a friend it'll be ok. PUGs... well pugs are as pugly as any game.

That combo is great for healing. You will have a slower time doing quests in a healing spec, here, though.

If you would rather learn the class abilities slowly while you level, do those 3 specs, you will be able to kill stuff, although not as efficiently and fast as other souls.

My advice for a "quick start" - Choose Cleric as your Calling, but go DPS with your first 3 soul picks. At level 13, grab the quests to acquire the other 5 souls. At a trainer, pay a small fee (either free or 1 gold) to "Buy another Role" and make one Healing Role (for when you get a group) and one DPS Role (for when you are soloing). The first instance you will *need* to group is at level 17+ (Realm of the Fae/Guardian or Iron Tomb/Defiant). You will probably have a chance to heal in your first "Public Group" (for a Rift/Invasion/Foothold) before that, though.

The disadvantage of the 2nd method is, you won't learn the healing abilities slowly as you level, you get them all put in your lap at level 14 (or whenever you buy the 2nd Role). For experienced MMO players, I doubt that is a problem.

Soulwalker

I also want to heal...and tank and dps...and run around naked...

In the open beta we just had, quests for new souls opened up at 15, and depending on rift activity they are very easy to complete and I collected all my souls within that same level or by level 16.

Dungeons, start from level 17, Realm of the Fae, so personally I'd go for a DD spec until 17 and then buy a spec slot (I don't know what it's called lol), I think you can get up to 4? It costs about 30g I think.

Then you can have your healing build for instances and other specs for doing whatever.

Which is what Tiger said hahaha
    Last edited by Interstella; 02-24-2011 at 08:39 AM.

+ Reply to Thread