+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pvp class/build for experienced pvper

Soulwalker

Default pvp class/build for experienced pvper

Hey guys, i had access to all the betas but i didn't really play too much as i didn't wana burn out before live. the only class i tried was a warrior to lvl 16 or so. I am a very experienced pvper from WoW, grand marshal in vanilla twice and gladiator 3 times, I played warrior paladin and mage, i cant decide between a class as i really have no idea what they all can do in terms of CC/avoidance damage etc. So im asking other experienced pvpers what their choices are to maybe help me make a more informed decision. im trying to read as much as i can now but without too much luck. If anyone knows a link to a COMPLETE list of class stats and mechanics i would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks in advance

oh, P.S Im also looking for a good PVP server any tips would be appreciated as-well.
    Last edited by Chadbrochill16; 02-23-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Obe
    Soulwalker

We are soooo proud of you

Soulwalker

if your not going to be helpful go **** your self please.

Soulwalker

Default calculators

Seem like you have allot off experiencing m8

guess your can check out soul calculators that are out there just google them.
    Within those calculators you can see and build all classes.

just because there is way to must builds possible that suits you perhaps to talk about^^

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshape View Post
    Seem like you have allot off experiencing m8

guess your can check out soul calculators that are out there just google them.
    Within those calculators you can see and build all classes.

just because there is way to must builds possible that suits you perhaps to talk about^^
    Hey thanks a lot, i didnt think there was a build calculator already! ill get right on that.

Not sure if anyone has all the information you're looking for as it's a pretty tall order, but I'll try and help with what I know.

I'll tackle your server question first. Nobody really knows what will be a good pvp server because they changed all the names a few days ago.

As far as websites with tons of information, try Riftjunkies.com and rift.zam.com. Of course there is always telarapedia.com with all the dry raw information too.

As far as a class breakdown, it's not really entirely known yet as not many of us have played to level 50 extensively on all classes. I'm sure you know how difficult it is to judge any class in competitive pvp until you get to end game content and gear. However here is what I've learned:

Warriors: High survivability, high damage, can have high mobility. A few souls have respectable ranged attacks. You may hear stories of them doing rediculous ranged damage but that has been fixed. There are souls that drain mana, souls that destroy other melee, or just plain berserker types. They seem to be fairly strait forward to play yet very effective. They seem to have a soul that can counter just about anything. Only weakness so far is you can't have everything, and ranged classes that can control/kite/out range you, however this shouldn't be a problem if you choose your souls and spend your points wisely. Only class that can't heal.

Rogues: Weaker to melee usually (except blade dancers) but very strong ranged attack souls and great traditional rogue souls (stealth, stuns, etc). Also the only healer soul that doesn't rely on mana, though they have no cleanse ability and have trouble keeping up a target that is being aggressively focused. Most people seem to love them and the versatility they have. I've seen melee rogues tear apart warriors and caster alike. Should be amazing in a skilled pvp'ers hands but melee rogues will take more practice and skill than warriors in my opinion because most of the time you will take more damage than a warrior but you still must be in melee range. The ranged souls are also very good. Most people seem to go this route. There is also a "tank" soul that you can mix in there if you choose for damage mitigation, extra hp, and even a blink or two.

Clerics: Great survivability in almost any role they choose. The melee clerics are mostly tanks though some seem to have decent damage, rarely see in pvp. Caster dps clerics are seen from time to time and while they won't do the damage of a traditional dps they can usually off heal very well and bring a few buffs. Cleric healers are still the best and you have the most options here if you want to heal. I know I really enjoyed the Warden soul with a variety of hots, some direct healing and aoe healing, and pushbacks, silences, "freedom" and even a spammable snare I picked up from another soul. And you may also choose a tank role if you feel like running the flag, again with great off heal abilities.

Mages are seen as the weakest of the classes right now, though most people that spend a great deal of time with them have learned how to become very effective and tell the rest of us how good they really are. Part of this may also be due to how many rogues and warriors littered the beta warfronts and when wearing cloth this is usually not a good thing. Even so in my experience you could still build a very hardy mage with loads of self healing and very good damage. I relied on dots and channels and to a lesser extent a pet much like an affliction lock in wow. I did not even use the healing soul. My burst damage was not great, but many times I still manage a healthy killing blow to death ratio, even against the many warriors and rogues. Of course you may choose a healing soul if you like, though I doubt it's effectiveness in pvp as you are probably the easiest of healer to kill, though I'm still experimenting with it. You also have many other damage options most of them with more burst than the spec I was in, and 2 souls with pets. No melee soul, but the only spec with a soul literally dedicated to CCs. The dominator spec while being squishy can be very effective in pvp. Instant cast spammable sheeps, mass confusion and slows, the best mana drain, a second "burst" mana drain that works on rogues and warriors and prevents any regen for 5 seconds, and the list goes on. There is also a soul dedicated to draining stats from enemies and buffing your allies.

I'm sure some will disagree with me on many of my opinions. Take this and what they say and keep reading up on the forums and build your own opinion. All classes look to have viability in serious pvp so in my opinion choose what you think you will enjoy the most. I hope this helps a little.
    Last edited by Crowvus; 02-23-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling/grammer

Soulwalker

very nice post, i THINK i might have narrowed it down to a warrior, im not entirely sure which souls to get/focus on yet though. More research must be done!

+ Reply to Thread