+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why not crafting combat skills

Telaran

Default Why not crafting combat skills

Why can't Lumber skill not have Cutter/Axe combat skills, Skinners gain Knife skills, etc etc

I don't really see what the point of this would be, maybe its wise to eleborate a little other than explain it in one sentence?

But in my oppinion this would have a few disatvantages attached:

1. Give melee characters a advantage stat wise combared to casters or tanks where the primary goal isnt around your main weapon.
    2. Would have new people quite confused at first (not nececarrily a bad thing tho)
    3. If you pick up multiple harvesting abilities, (assuming this would be possible) it stil lwouldn't give you twice the usefullness unless you count dual wielders maybe. (axe + sword))

I think harvesting should just be that, harvesting and not tied to actual harvesting stats or the other way around adventure stats tied to harvesting.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by RavenFeeder View Post
    Why can't Lumber skill not have Cutter/Axe combat skills, Skinners gain Knife skills, etc etc
    Hmm considering the lack of information, I wouldnt say that this is not in the game, for all we know, it could of been already implemented, so person who mines alot, will have more strenght, and will be able to swing his/hers sword much faster. Or a "Herbalist" will have a much higher knowledge about venoms than a "Rogue". Or being an "Alchemist" will increase casters haste by 3%. [Its just a speculation and has not been mentioned anywhere...]
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

*shrugs*

I dislike the idea personally, first off because I see no reason for it, and second because... well, using a knife to skin something isn't the same as knife fighting. They may both involve an edged implement but they're entirely different skills.
    Ipsa scientia potestas est

Telaran

The only problem I have with this idea is it promotes extreme min/maxing. While I do not have a problem with getting the most out of my character I would hate to have to be a blacksmith when I want to be an alchemist because being a blacksmith gives me some kind of advantage like that.

You can't force someone to do crafting / gathering just to improve their fighting (my opinion).
    Crafting and gathering should be optional, giving you already the bonus that you can craft (maybe) better stuff then you can find - who knows.
    Telarapedia - The original german Rift Wiki

Leader of "Gilde Gothic" in Rift

Quote Originally Posted by RavenFeeder View Post
    I didn't play it very long, but the impression I got was that Wurm Online had a skill system like this.

Chopping up trees seemed to earn me woodcutting skills and axe skills. And that actually makes perfect sense to me.

Though the answer for "why not" in Rift would be that crafting will be skill-based and combat will be level-based. So they're operating under two completely separate advancement systems.
    Eldran, Destroyer of Worlds! (TM pending)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldran View Post
    I didn't play it very long, but the impression I got was that Wurm Online had a skill system like this.

Chopping up trees seemed to earn me woodcutting skills and axe skills. And that actually makes perfect sense to me.

Though the answer for "why not" in Rift would be that crafting will be skill-based and combat will be level-based. So they're operating under two completely separate advancement systems.
    The way you explain it makes more sense to me, where your harvesting also results in weapon skillups. This wouldn't have any balance issue's and in that case I certainly think there is no reason not to do it. (not counting more work ofc ;P)

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Telaran

Eldran, that definitely makes sense. I'm just afraid of seeing crafting turn out like WoW's where they offered bonuses for taking certain professions but based on your class it was almost necessary to take certain professions based on these bonuses. Granted they did a decent job at making each profession offer a variety of bonuses so all classes could benefit but obviously some benefits outweighed others.

+ Reply to Thread