+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argh, spoilt for choice! (Tank nut here)

Default Argh, spoilt for choice! (Tank nut here)

When I discovered Rift's wonderful class system I didn't expect a downside to be a complete inability to decide which calling to roll!

I narrowed it down to warrior or rogue (I shouldn't have a healing capable calling, healing makes me stressed.) I used to be a big tanking fan in WoW so I'd like to do that first and foremost but I also want to be able to swap out to off-roles in case a slot needs filling (and for variety).

In favour of the warrior:
    - 4 tank souls, so there will surely always be one that works well for the encounter at hand (whilst riftstalker might not)
    - Lots of utility while tanking (buffs, debuffs, interrupts, etc)
    - Like the sword and board and shiny armour style
    - Less populated of the 2 callings probably, so easier to get gear in groups

In favour of the rogue:
    - Riftstalker is awesome; I enjoyed the warrior souls I tried in beta as well but this was my favourite
    - No equivalent to Bard, which was also fun
    - Several options for ranged DPS (warrior ranged DPS abilities seem half baked, need to be in melee range to do optimal damage, assuming the overpowered flame spear thingy is fixed?)
    - Better CC (no warrior equivalent to assassin/nightblade sap style abilities? How necessary are these going to be anyway? *memories of Magister's Terrace*)

Is anyone else experiencing this sort of problem? Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Morthand View Post
    When I discovered Rift's wonderful class system I didn't expect a downside to be a complete inability to decide which calling to roll!

I narrowed it down to warrior or rogue (I shouldn't have a healing capable calling, healing makes me stressed.) I used to be a big tanking fan in WoW so I'd like to do that first and foremost but I also want to be able to swap out to off-roles in case a slot needs filling (and for variety).

In favour of the warrior:
    - 4 tank souls, so there will surely always be one that works well for the encounter at hand (whilst riftstalker might not)
    - Lots of utility while tanking (buffs, debuffs, interrupts, etc)
    - Like the sword and board and shiny armour style
    - Less populated of the 2 callings probably, so easier to get gear in groups

In favour of the rogue:
    - Riftstalker is awesome; I enjoyed the warrior souls I tried in beta as well but this was my favourite
    - No equivalent to Bard, which was also fun
    - Several options for ranged DPS (warrior ranged DPS abilities seem half baked, need to be in melee range to do optimal damage, assuming the overpowered flame spear thingy is fixed?)
    - Better CC (no warrior equivalent to assassin/nightblade sap style abilities? How necessary are these going to be anyway? *memories of Magister's Terrace*)

Is anyone else experiencing this sort of problem? Help!
    I'll point out Riftblades are still very powerful ranged DPS and flame spear hasn't been changed much other than a report from alpha notes indicating they were removing the DoT; which makes no real difference.

If what you really want to do is tank then you're best going warrior it'll leave you the most options if you get hit with a nerf bat and still tank well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekor View Post
    I'll point out Riftblades are still very powerful ranged DPS and flame spear hasn't been changed much other than a report from alpha notes indicating they were removing the DoT; which makes no real difference.

If what you really want to do is tank then you're best going warrior it'll leave you the most options if you get hit with a nerf bat and still tank well.
    I think there's wisdom in what you're saying...

Also a good point to add, is rogue's have a 1 second gcd vs warrior's 1.5, so makes it that much easier to get off those emergency moves (like spamming your interrupt or taunt in desperation but having to wait to not be gcd locked).

*edit*
    To add more to the discussion, I'm in the same boat, I plan to tank at endgame, so my first thought was warrior = multiple tank souls = no brainer, but the more i learn about riftstalker, the more prone I am to change my mind, they have just as much survivability with one soul vs warriors three, so makes picking those other two souls more interesting for rogue (warrior you know you will be picking three tank souls). And they have better mobility, which tanks know is important, you are where you need to be, in the fastest possible time you can be there. So while, I'm still undecided, I keep learning more and more toward rogue the more I learn.
    Last edited by zebus; 02-23-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Right about the gcd, although to be pedantic -- rogue tanks don't have an interrupt unless you spend a good few points in bladedancer, and warrior interrupts are off the GCD (didn't check the BD one).

You don't need to be able to apply your own interrupts of course, lots of DPS souls have them.

I think at endgame, a rogue tank will have to be quite careful about point spending to be a viable tank -- you'll need 51 points riftstalker, and the remainder in souls that improve your tanking (bard, bladedancer, ranger, right now). So really, you're spending all 66 points for tanking abilities, just like a warrior is.

All the tanking souls seem to have a special trick really and I expect they're all useful:

riftstalker - mobility
    paladin - group lifesavers
    reaver - aoe
    void knight - anti-magic
    warlord - buffs

(Haven't looked very hard at the justicar. Healing, am I right?)

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Morthand View Post
    Right about the gcd, although to be pedantic -- rogue tanks don't have an interrupt unless you spend a good few points in bladedancer, and warrior interrupts are off the GCD (didn't check the BD one).

You don't need to be able to apply your own interrupts of course, lots of DPS souls have them.

I think at endgame, a rogue tank will have to be quite careful about point spending to be a viable tank -- you'll need 51 points riftstalker, and the remainder in souls that improve your tanking (bard, bladedancer, ranger, right now). So really, you're spending all 66 points for tanking abilities, just like a warrior is.

All the tanking souls seem to have a special trick really and I expect they're all useful:

riftstalker - mobility
    paladin - group lifesavers
    reaver - aoe
    void knight - anti-magic
    warlord - buffs

(Haven't looked very hard at the justicar. Healing, am I right?)
    Healing ya but they have quite a few "OH ****" abilitys.

+ Reply to Thread