+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Advice

Telaran

Default Need Advice

Ok basically as some of u may know i was owning up betas 5-7 as a rogue

i tanked, i supported, i dps'd and i killed people ALOT but...

i am unhappy with the rogue calling, its tarnished by noobs (sabo's, MM and stealth fanboys from WoW) not saying all people who play these are bad, not at all, however alot of noobs tarnish these souls and the rogue calling as a whole and i dont wanna be tarred with the same stick, i appreciate skill and although some people who play the above souls are very skilled, But alot of people pick these souls as u can be carried to victory with little to no skill because of the soul u play which i do not like

I played mainly RS tank in pve (till a guildie decided to tank) then i was assassin and then nightblade, i enjoyed both:

Assassin- good in pve, actually way better than i thought, good fpr pvp but as u need to be behind people to do any real dps and as poisons have been fixed (proccing too much) and backstab doesnt get 50% armor pen anymore i wont be playing this*

*edit- the bleeds have also been reduced in dmg which is a big nerf

Nightblade- IMHO apart from perma stealth this does everything an assassin can do but better- it has insane damage, a 50% healing reduction poison so its up all the time, a 2 min CD i win skill so u can spam dusk strike for 400+ crits and get 2 cps at a time so 3x DS + finisher which is magic dmg so ignores armor for about 1200 dmg so u can do 2200 in 4 abilities not to mention dmg from ur wep enchants etc

very very fun class but very low hp, 3450 at lvl 42 in my dps gear (compared to 6500 as a RS), has a couple 2 min cds but they dont help too much especially when this is a class that needs to be at the back of the enemy team jumping healers and mages, it dies very fast when ppl realise ur there.

so basically my dilemma- I am not sure i want to play a rogue right now, it will be the most populated class, and with the VK and RB warrior nerfs i only see this getting worse, i usually like to play a low populated and high skillcap class and as such i think i wanna reroll on release so i need ur opinions:

1. roll a mage- primarily wanna be some variation of Dominator in pvp, low dmg but mass CC very very benificial to world pvp and a warfront grp, potentially paired with chloro for support or maybe lock for survivability

also interested in archon but i havent full read the changes but it seems like utility has been nerfed and damage of the soul increased so not sure about this

my main issue with mages is as much as we will pvp i also enjoy pve and i just dont know how mages do, i know thier dps isnt amazing and Dom is mainly pvp focussed so aside from Chloro i dunno how useful mages are to grps?

2. Roll a Void knight- i know they just got nerfed with thier burst but after readint the tree and making a VK/pala/reaver lvl 50 build it just looks insane- so much static dmg and magic reduction, u can shield urself or an ally for about 4k magic dmg, u get an 8 sec aoe silence on a 15 sec CD (50% uptime WTF) u get a single target 6 sec silence, u get 3 mana driand 1 mass aoe with a 50% move speed snare, i get a decurse with then makes u or ur ally immune to that stuff for 6 secs, u get a 10 min cd ful heal from chap and more static reduction from reaver

seems to me like if u wanna burst VK is gone in that respect, but if u wanna be tanky as hell and run around all day draining entire teams of mana and silencing them while being a ***** to kill, this spec will absolutely have sex with u without ur consent (see what i did there :P)

Ye so my main issue is mage vs warrior

seems like mage has more souls i wouls like:

Necro/lock
    DOM
    archon
    and ofc Chloro

but again this VK just looks like a beast, a literal team destroyer if played right, however i dont think rolling warr for the 1 spec i would wanna play is a smart move especially when this early on it could be changed alot and then i wouldnt have another soul i really like

what u think i should do?

anyone who has played DOM or VK to preferably 40+ but anyone 30+ really, i would love ur opinions, i really like the look of DOM and as the mage has more souls i like i am leaning that way, but any advice would be appreciated Dom = useful 100% of the time whereas VK is very specific in its use

i appreciate ur opinions on PVE and PVP i will mainly be pvp but as said above i like pve too

aargh tough choice

p.s ignore spelling mistakes i am a bad typer and an even worse checker of spelling

p.p.s i do not care for VK discharge spam fanboys or critics this is gone now, and if i played a VK it would be as a pain in the *** to mana users not a 1 man army of ownage as its last incarnation was.
    Last edited by Doombright; 02-23-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Default Don't

Play Rogue.

Every class will be tarnished by "n00bs" and be hated by the other 3 classes and so on. If you really care so much what others think then find a Soul Combo within Rogue that is less popular than the hordes of Assassins and Marksmen you expect those people to play.

Mages in other games are often the ultimate "n00b" (I hate the word - can you tell) because they are damage dealers from range with no real responsibility beyond a bit of CC. At least Rogues usually have to get into Melee (with a few exceptions here in Rift).
    In Rift it seems Mages may need more skill to play for now but if they end up underpopulated you can bet they will get buffed, made easier or other classes will change to right the balance.

Play the Class you want and ride out the changes whether they be buffs or nerfs - never give in.
    The lowest of the low are those who constantly change to follow the latest FOTM class.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder313 View Post
    Play Rogue.

Every class will be tarnished by "n00bs" and be hated by the other 3 classes and so on. If you really care so much what others think then find a Soul Combo within Rogue that is less popular than the hordes of Assassins and Marksmen you expect those people to play.

Mages in other games are often the ultimate "n00b" (I hate the word - can you tell) because they are damage dealers from range with no real responsibility beyond a bit of CC. At least Rogues usually have to get into Melee (with a few exceptions here in Rift).
    In Rift it seems Mages may need more skill to play for now but if they end up underpopulated you can bet they will get buffed, made easier or other classes will change to right the balance.

Play the Class you want and ride out the changes whether they be buffs or nerfs - never give in.
    The lowest of the low are those who constantly change to follow the latest FOTM class.
    Well as i said abobe i ended up on NB which as far as i know is the lowest played rogue soul, and its not so much i care what others think its that i care what i think and i dont want to be in a calling where alot of souls are carrying players rather that players skill carrying the souls they play.

also like u say mages in other games are not mages in RIFT fact of the matter is this, u get focussed by everyone as they view u as a free kill, u get little to no time to stand and cast so u need to come up with very mobile specs with low dmg usually that requires skill to beat people and they will be underpopulated because of this and i kinda like the challenge.

not saying ur opinion is bad, its just i dont agree with it and like u say i need to play this game the way i enjoy it so just looking for feedback on the above souls

+ Reply to Thread